Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hives

apples and bananas

Hives

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with Hives in children. My 5 yr old boy woke up yesturday morning covered in them! It's the second time it's happened in a month. They came down a bit with benedryl but raised up again just as quickly. We took him to the doctor and he said that sometimes Hives can be caused by a virus or a cold. It's just his body's way of reacting to the virus.

He still has some this morning, but nothing as bad as yesturday.

I suffered from these as a child as well - lots of photos of me covered in calamine lotion

I had seasonal environmental allergies ... various tree and plant pollens, grass, etc and apparently according to modern medicines belief back than when those levels were 'high' my body reacted with hives ... I eventually got allergy shots to build my immunity to those things and grew out of the hive reaction.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Think about what he ate for 24 hours prior to the outbreak .... My son 18 months at the time woke up one morning covered head to foot in them ..... The only thing he had different was fresh pineapple. I have avoided it since but I am going to try him again maybe this summer

apples and bananas
    Thats the thing, the first time it happened he was with me for the entire 24 hours, I knew every thing he put in his mouth... nothing new or different. Yesturday he was at school all day on Monday, but I thought Hives showed up almost instantly as a reaction, that's why I thought it was so odd that he woke up with them.

Euphoric !
    I have heard of kids being allergic to the materials in their pajamas or bedding...anything new there?

apples and bananas
    nothing... so frustrating. What throws me is that the doctor said it could be the way his body reacts to a virus. Hmmmm.... I've never heard of this.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    nothing... so frustrating. What throws me is that the doctor said it could be the way his body reacts to a virus. Hmmmm.... I've never heard of this.
    My daughter who is now almost 17 has the same thing happen to her...out of the blue. Dr. has also told us it could just be the way she reacts to a virus. We could never pinpoint it down to a certain food/soap/clothing etc....it just happens to her. He also told us it could be stress related and that's how her body will try to get rid of stress....she hates it! She is also allergic to benadryl so she really hates when it happens.

Shy
    i had this happen to me before when i was in my 20's. i had a bad cold..terrible cough.. it was october.. nothing out of the ordinary but as i recovered from the virus i developed hives EVERYWHERE on my body. i had to miss work. i think i put baking soda paste over them to relieve them, i remember that feeling good. dr told me it was from the virus i had. it was maybe 10 years ago so i cant remember details .. it seemed to last forever .. i remeber it didnt instantly just go away but gradually got better.. i also took benadryl but the baking soda paste really helped. it only happened to me that once in my entire life.... so strange but i guess that is what is was . hope your son feels better soon!

Euphoric !
    Yup, happened to my oldest boy off and on for a while a few years ago. We never did determine the cause. His would just come and go, usually at night time (terribly inconvenient when I am trying to put him to bed).
    I have seen some kids have some really crazy reactions to viral illnesses. One of my dc kids last year got one that looked insanely like a chicken pox rash, but wasn't. And a friend of ours has a little girl who just turned one that caught a cold and then out of the blue had blister-like rashes, mostly on her arms and legs. Eventually, both got over them.