Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Typical Two Year Olds...

I currently care for 4 kids under 3 years old. My son who is 2.5 yrs and two 2 yr olds and one 20 month old. I have been having the typical issues with them such as hitting, pushing, scratching, pinching and screaming.

Anytime this behaviour happens I say "WE DO NOT HIT/SCREAM/PUSH etc." and put them in a time out for a few minutes. I'm getting tired of the broken record and constantly on top of them for their behaviour.

Some days are better and then some days are like today where I want to have a really stiff drink when all the kids are gone lol!

I can deal with the hitting, pushing and all that...but its the screaming that really gets me frustrated!!! The kids I have now have started this thing where they will grunt and each other then start screaming at each other. They do this when they are angry at each other and sometimes just for fun (like at the table when we are eating lunch). It's become a game to them to grunt each other??? Has anyone dealt with this before?? I'm just really tired of telling them to stop this behaviour and wonder if I should just ignore it and maybe it will stop or keep on top of it.

How do you ladies deal with these behaviours?
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    Sorry I dont have much advice bc I pretty much do the same thing you do. I try to be consistent with words and actions but still struggling with it. Your not alone on this one. I am
    Interested to know if there are other ways to deal with this.
    It definitely makes for a long day.

Euphoric !
    Yeah, hate to say it.... but I don't know how much more you can do.
    I think you need to find a happy medium when dealing with these behaviours. As in; don't ignore it outright, that sends the message that it's ok. But don't lose your mind over it either, or you will feel like all day long you are yelling NO- NO -NO- NO- NO -NO. LoL
    When they are acting up, use your firm daycare-lady voice and remind them what you expect. "We do NOT growl at our friends, we use our words." Definitely don't respond to the grunting and shrieking. They are old enough to understand what you are saying, when you ask them to use their words.
    As for screaming; I HATE that phase. Really what can you do, other than sequestering them so we can't hear it anymore??? I found that if they are doing it at the table, turning their seat around so that they can't see each other works on occasion.
    I would absolutely continue with time outs, etc for hitting/ pushing and so on. Aggression towards others is one thing that I begin to give consequences for at a very young age. Under no circumstances is it ok to try to hurt our friends.
    Having kids all the same age can be great, but this is definitely one of the downsides. They all seem to play off each other somedays, and bring out the worst!!

Oh boy...I am so in your boat as well. I've just kept trudging along with the consequence/time-out. But wow does it make for an exhausting day. I do find that the behaviours escalate if it's been a few rainy days in a row and they haven't had as much outdoor play as they like...or they're bored, or sick, or sleep deprived. Some things that work for me...random circle times/storytime just to get them collected, focused and CALM. Really helps them to get in check and me to have a moment to recharge. Or changing around the playspace, or to just put the music on loud and dance!!!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    As all phases...this too will pass. I suggest consistency and a glass of red wine when they're all gone home!

apples and bananas
    I have one that does it and I just quietly remind him to "talk nicely" "quiet voice" I've also been adding some LOUD and quiet games into my morning. "now let's do the song quiet" " now loud " I find it gets the loud out of them and gives them an outlet. It's also (hopefully) teaching them the difference between loud and quiet so when I ask them to be quiet I'm certain they understand what I mean.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've tried everything and I think your suggestions are the best. I just have to keep being consistent with my discipline and hope that this phase will pass.

I have noticed that it's usually one little girl that initiates a lot of it so today I have separated her from the group a lot to play on her own. That has helped tremendously especially when I am not 100% supervising them (changing diapers, getting food ready).

A glass of wine does help on some days

Thanks ladies!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah A For This Useful Post:

Quiet and Loud times...what a great idea!! Thanks Apples & Bananas!

Euphoric !
    The random circletimes is my method too. IF they are all playing and engaged productively we even have days we skip circletime. But when things get a little too messy or too loud or too out of control or whatever is setting me off that day then we clean up for group time which could be a story or feltboard activity or an active game depending on what I feel they need at that moment. Then when we are done they go back to play. What is nice is since we cleaned up first - and that is rarely an issue cause they like circletime they need to start over again and it is nice to see the "problem" child choose a different area as if they were so caught up in in all the first time they didn't know how to leave and go play somewhere else that better suited their temperment at the moment.

I try to ignore as much of the screaming as I can since once words come it disappears and is for a large part just the child learning their voice and what it can do - just annoying when there are several of them at once.

If there is too much hitting/biting/shoving etc. then I spread things out a bit more. Put away some centres to make more room between those left as in no bumping takes place on the way past. Other times it means time to switch to more individual centres so there is less group play and more do their own thing play. I find if I change up the environment that that is a better way to control the behaviour than constantly telling them to stop. I rarely use time outs or whatever but when needed I have a playpen in the playroom which is where we go when we need to be alone and the older you get the more you hate it in there. A couple soft things and a small blanket for comfy to get recomposed is all that is in there - no fun stuff.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I'm in the same boat too! I find a change of environment is what settles my guys. I have access to 3 separate rooms and I thank God for each of them. I just move them when things start getting crazy and that seems to settle them down really well.