Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by clep View Post
    I also do not count. Children are taught that they are not required to listen until just before the last number leaves an adults lips. It is never a pleasant day when the child catches on and says "2" right after the adult says "1". I have seen that many times.
    Fortunately it has really worked for me as a mom & Childcare provider...I rarely get past 1. Do they keep on counting themselves past 1, yes, for sure in some cases...but they are smiling, redirected and on task.
    Last edited by Dreamalittledream; 05-31-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Shy
    I just started up with my day home in June and introduced this song in July once I started to get more kids. I have 2-4 year olds mostly. (mine is 3yrs old).

the song is called "The Manners Song"? it is sung to the tune of twinkle twinkle little star and it goes like this.....We say thank you, we say please, we don't interrupt or tease, we don't argue, we don't fuss, we listen when folks talk to us, share our toys and take our turns...Manners are easy to learn.

We start our day everyday by singing the song, then we go over the "House Rules" no running, hitting, biting, kicking, screaming, etc... It's been tough for sure, as most of the children I have enrolled have not had experience in a day home before.
    The children, have memorized the song, as children do...but know it's a constant challenge every second of our day to keep them reminded.
    AS for discipline, they are reminded about the manners song, if they are not sharing, then if they continue to not share, I will ask them again they need to share the toys, (the most issue I get is with the older ones, the 3 and 4 yr old). If they do not want to share, I re-direct them to another toy, if that doesn't work, the toy that they wanted to fight over, simply gets removed from the play room. 3 & 4 yr olds will get two chances with one reminder, a redirection, then the get a time out. The are kept within the play area but must sit alone and watch the others play. When time out is done, they must apologize for what they did wrong, and recite the manners song, and house rules before they can leave the time out area.

Am I on the right track?

Euphoric !
    My own kids used to pull up the vents at that age too...we ended up duct taping them down...it just minimized the aggrivation! I hope this helps!

at 15 months, I don't think there is a ton of discipline you could do? more redirection and "firm" words.

Euphoric !
    15 months old is old enough to understand simple instructions and I agree with using a stern face and stern words for any behaviour that is unacceptable. Children learn from day one in my daycare no matter what their age what is appropriate and what is not allowed. If they get away with something one time they will try again so consistency is important.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think you're right with the sharing clep. However, we can start really developing it earlier. Cooperative play begins between 2 and 3...once that begins, your toe is well in the door. Before that, in the Parallel Play stage, it's pretty much hopeless. They don't get it and don't care to get it.

Shadowing is a great tool, and my professors touted it regularly. However, it can be pretty tough to keep on top of depending on what's going on with the other kidlets in our care.

I used 123 magic with my sons when they were little. I gave up for the very reason you mentioned...little stinkers. They're both in high school now, but I remember them grinning at me as they recited the next number. FRUSTRATING....but somehow still cute! They always waited till the last number. It was only the time out or loss of a privilege that got their attention and brought an end to the behaviour....for that day.

redirect is about the only thing you can do at that age, clear words and re-direct.

Starting to feel at home...
    Jazmic my baby girl is 15 months as well and her thing is to go to the entrance and throw the shoes and boots around. She knows she is not aloud to touch the shoes and even though I say "no" or present a different toy or go take her hand she would look at me straight in the face, go "aaaaahhh" and do it again. After trying so hard and considering everything from a gate to hidding the shoes I came to realize that she does this when she is missing my attention, when she needs an extra hug or when she is hungry or thirsty. It's her way of getting my attention ... attention is attention wheter it be good or bad. Maybe this applies to your son too!
    If not, I think redirection and repetition are the only appropriate things for this age. I personally think a time out is not yet applicable for this age.