Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Wears the same clothes very often

I realize the family doesn't have a lot of money, and he only has a few choice items of clothing. But this week, 4 days out of five, he wore the same overalls. Also, they've provided me with a car seat that is too big for him. It's for 22 pounds, he's a year old but only 19 1/2 pounds. There are a few other things I notice that I find irresponsible. I am aware that I am not the parent and to each their own, but how do you deal with it? They don't neglect him, they're pretty good parents, I just find them a little irresponsbile sometimes.

Do you say something or do you let it go? How do you deal with is?

Outgoing
    Are you driving the child in that car seat? If so I would definitely say something to them, because if you were ever caught with the child in an inappropriate car seat YOU would be the one getting in huge trouble, not them. I would refuse to use that car seat, regardless if they have a lot of money or not, the child's safety in a car is important.

Quote Originally Posted by samroo326 View Post
    I realize the family doesn't have a lot of money, and he only has a few choice items of clothing. But this week, 4 days out of five, he wore the same overalls. Also, they've provided me with a car seat that is too big for him. It's for 22 pounds, he's a year old but only 19 1/2 pounds. There are a few other things I notice that I find irresponsible. I am aware that I am not the parent and to each their own, but how do you deal with it? They don't neglect him, they're pretty good parents, I just find them a little irresponsbile sometimes.

Do you say something or do you let it go? How do you deal with is?
    I totally agree that rules are rules when it comes to car seats...but the fact that he's only off the margin by 2 1/2 pounds? I personally would let this slide. And, as long as the clothes are clean...I couldn't care less if it's the exact same outfit each day...especially since we spend the day getting messy. Just my 2 cents
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    As long as the clothes are clean I wouldn't worry......my children had favorite things they liked to wear when they were younger...and would have worn them all the time...as far as the car seat I am not sure that 2 lbs is a deal breaker.... Weight can fluctuate and scales can defer. When my children were younger we had to switch to front facing because of size not the weight requirement . Use your judgement if the harness doesn't fit him properly etc..... Then say something to them.....

Expansive...
    The weight for the car issue to me wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe he has been weighed at the doctor's office or at home and the parents have come up with a different higher weight than what you are weighing him at. Either way I would not be worried about 2.5 pounds. I had moved my kids to forward facing or to a booster seat when they were a pound or two away from the recommended weight and felt fine doing so.
    Some parents may not worry about the exact weight.

In regards to the clothes - it wouldn't bother me either (like others have said). I am sure he has more than 1 pair of pants but since no one else is there in the morning when he is getting dressed then you don't know if he is begging his mom to put on those overalls because they are his favorite. Kids go through stages where they like one pair of pants or one shirt the most

As long as the child is happy and healthy, the parents are paying and seem to be involved decent parents then it isn't anything I would ever bring up and nitpick personally. I guess it depends how strongly you feel about it though

Expansive...
    They just may have a few outfits only for daycare as there daycare stuff tends to get way more dirty! LOL

As for the car seat what other option is there, he maybe too tall for the infant seat? Sometimes hight outrules weight.

Euphoric !
    As for the overalls - he may have several pairs too. When I found a sale for my son I often bought more than one. With girls you tend to get more colour choices but for boys one pair of jeans looks the same as the next. If they buy their clothes at consignment stores they may have all been hanging together and the mom just grabbed 5 pair saying ok these will be his daycare clothes. Does he wear a different tshirt every day. Depending on the job of the parents they may need to do laundry daily so what he really has is two pair and just keeps alternating them.

As long as they don't smell and yesterday's jam and the day before's spagetti sauce isn't still clinging to them I wouldn't worry.

I don't think that either of those things are a big deal. At all. Just my opinion.

Euphoric !
    If the clothes are clean, and fit him, it's not a worry to me. I have been a parent with virtually no money to spend on anything but the essentials, so as long as the child is cared for, I have some extra empathy in that regard.
    As to the car seat, I wouldn't fret too much. Provided that the carseat generally fits him when it comes to size, of course. Is his head in a safe position? Can the straps be properly tightened around him?
    It's true that you would get the ticket (I've been there!!), but doubtful that they are going to weigh the child at the side of the road. So if the seat is properly secured in your vehicle, and he is properly secured IN the seat, you are okay.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the ladies who feel if the clothes are clean that would suit me fine. And yes, maybe he has a couple identical pairs. I stress to my clients that they had better send their children in clothes that can be destroyed by mud and creative materials on any given day.

I have more trouble with my 4 year old fashion plate girl who wears the prettiest clothes and a different coat/shoes/boots daily so I can't keep track of them. Her Mom's a shopoholic, but still doesn't mind if her prettiest outfit is covered in paint because she has tons of clothes, so it's all fine.

You know what? I carried my children home from the hospital in the 70's and for months after that in my lap, no carseat laws were in effect yet. My little children wore regular seatbelts, as did I. Ask your parents!