Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sick and here

jec

Sick and here

OK so I have a little guy who had his Dr appointment for his 18 month on Monday and he was coming down with something last week....but thought, lets see how he is on Monday as it's not black and white with a vaccination and may feel a little off. He wasn't feeling himself, runny nose and cranky but no reason to send him home. Diarreaha though...still thought it could have been the shot??? Mentioned to parents not to bring him back if he still has Diarreaha.
    Arrives the next morning and I'm told he got up once in the early morning with a diarreaha that filled the diaper but great otherwise. So he is not himself, laying down but this little one is full of beans and has energy to share. Sight temp of 99.2 F and called parents to make them aware that I was monitoring his temp. So he would lay down, play, lay down and then play as he so wanted to be apart of everything but wasn't well. Blasted through his diaper and all over his pants. I had to spray him down in the sink it was so bad- right before nap so I let him sleep and called parents that when he wakes up to come so they could get some work in
    woke up and had another diarreaha. They came to get him and I told them that he can't come back until he has a regular bowel movement for him.
    Yesterday they kept him home but today he shows up. Happy and running around but when I ask if he has had a regular bowel movement, nope!! I'm told that it's not as bad as it was .....
    so he runs in to have breakfast and I say let him eat. Mom said she wil take him home and then I start feeling bad as he is laughing and loving being here with his friends. I tell her I'll keep him after I hear a comment of I have a meeting and I'll call is he has a diareaha.

Ugh ~ why do people take advantage when your nice.
    I said he couldn't come back until he has a normal bowel movement and yet he is still here. This is why I don't like to be close friends with my clients. The line gets blurred as this family is great but seems that they do push the evelope.

Everyone is now exposed thanks to me if he is going to pass something, he has so no point in calling them to pick him up now.
    Just I always take things into consideration when sending a little home as I've been that Mom working and had to pick up my little ones from daycare when I also had meetings and had to be out with clients. So I alwys respect their need to work but, if they pass onto me, I don't get paid which it was this family that brought their little one with the stomach flu and gave it to everyone in my home and daycare and I had to close one day due to me being so ill and I didn't get paid.

Just makes you question again why I have the diareaah policy as we can't protect them all from colds and they get everything at this age to build up their immune system but they also went to a public pool last night swimming with their little one so they feel that there is no problem.
    Am I being too hard to say he should have gone home and just accepted him anywas ( i did but only after I felt bad)

OK rant over

apples and bananas
    I know what you mean, i would have kept him too. I've also been on the other side. The parent with a demanding job and meetings and can't afford to take time off. It's hard being a parent now a days. I worked in a retail setting. I had limited sick days and vacation time. I also had limited people with keys, so if it wasn't me... who else would open the store?

I am guilty of giving my child tylenol before drop off... I'll admit it. But I always told the provider.

And this is why I now stay home with my kids.

Euphoric !
    I would say they take advantage because you let them .... When one of my kids is away sick I always text in the eveni g to see how the child is doing and if they waiver at all them I tell them to stay home.... But I will admit that one day a parent walked in with her child and handed me over the counter eye drops and said please put these in his eyes before nap as last night he started to cry and all thus green gunk came out of his eyes .....so I should have handed her back the drops and the child and said see ya tomorrow ... Buuut.... I didn't .... And I was so mad at myself all day and when she picked up I told her next time please keep him at home as I don't want all the other kids possibly getting it .... She said the dr said it wasn't contagious so that's why I brought him ....I hear where your coming from as I also had my first three kids in daycare and couldn't take a lot of time off but sometimes you have too, it's part of being a working parent.

jec
    I've been on the other side as a Mom who worked for a company that used to call me if I called in sick to see if I could come into work!!
    I know how hard it can be and have written in my contract that I will always respect my parent's need to work and I in return ask them to think of the other children in my care.
    I've had 2 in care where I've used up some of my vacation days as sick days were all gone.
    I always say my policy is not black and white but when he diareaha ....I am black and white

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I would say they take advantage because you let them .... When one of my kids is away sick I always text in the eveni g to see how the child is doing and if they waiver at all them I tell them to stay home.... But I will admit that one day a parent walked in with her child and handed me over the counter eye drops and said please put these in his eyes before nap as last night he started to cry and all thus green gunk came out of his eyes .....so I should have handed her back the drops and the child and said see ya tomorrow ... Buuut.... I didn't .... And I was so mad at myself all day and when she picked up I told her next time please keep him at home as I don't want all the other kids possibly getting it .... She said the dr said it wasn't contagious so that's why I brought him ....I hear where your coming from as I also had my first three kids in daycare and couldn't take a lot of time off but sometimes you have too, it's part of being a working parent.
    Your so right and I think that is why I'm even more angry is that I didn't stick to my guns and let them take advantage. I'm so annoyed with myself

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    .... When one of my kids is away sick I always text in the eveni g to see how the child is doing and if they waiver at all them I tell them to stay home.....
    I do the same thing and it seems to work. I either tell them to stay home or I at least have a chance at that point to give them specifics on what they should be looking for and when he can not come to daycare and when to contact me in the morning.

jec
    I think moving forward I will do the same. Call them to find out if they are feeling better..
    I shouldn't assume that everyone will look out for the well being of everyone else in my care.

I am just so extra annoyed as I let myself consider this daycare Mom more than just a client and although we don't go out soically after daycare, we chat quite a bit and seem to have so much in common and get a long. This isn't the first time they have seemed to take advantage of a situation and disapointed that they would do it. Again, lesson learned not to let the line of friend and business get burried

jec
    Thanks for letting me vent and chatting with me

Euphoric !
    Hey jec I wasn't trying to judge because I do the same thing cause I feel bad for the parents also but then here I am with a cough that I've had since march and can't get rid of it ..... I dont feel sick it's just a nagging cough that goes on and on and on and the parents say "oh still got that cough eh?" um yea I wonder why ? All these kids come with coughs and congestions and sneezing and snot filled noses and I let them thru my door .... So it's my own fault ..... And I really don't think it has anything to do with being friendly with the parents because in reality we probably wouldn't have taken the family on if we disliked the parents so it's natural to chit chat a bit at the door. I actually find it easier to deny a child with a parent that I am friendlier with then the one that just comes in and gets the child and leaves. I'm always a bit Leary of those. So I'm sure we have all let a child in for the day that we shouldn't have and then fumed about it all day...... Here's hoping no one else gets what that child has

Euphoric !
    Everybody was already exposed, including you, when he had the diarrhea a few days back. So if it's flu you're in trouble, but I truly hope not!

Vomit & bad diarrhea mean that I expect a parent to be there immediately or sooner, but I never turn a child away due to a virus. Don't feel guilty at all. I have a vaccination policy in my contract and I ask my clients to get the doctor's appointments on Friday afternoons so the children are at home with their parents for 48 hours before coming to daycare. I shouldn't be monitoring for adverse reactions after shots, it's the parents responsibility if their child becomes sick from it.