Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Interview went terrible :(

Well at least in my opinion the interview with a prospective client went terrible ...
    I had my very first interview ever and I prepared for several days, getting my policies in order, doing the handbook and getting other sheets ready. Made mental notes of what I was going to say.
    I was SO nervous and couldn't shake that. When she showed up I just couldn't get on track with my presentation. I could tell as she was leaving (after only 15 min!) she wasn't pleased and I felt terrible.

Veteran providers, can you offer me some advice on how you do your interviews? Do you have a script/routine or do you just wing it?
    I'm shy with new people and it doesn't help matters. Please tell me there's hope I will get better at this.

Thanks for reading

Euphoric !
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well! My first didn't go very well either as I was completely unprepared. I am new to daycare, so I probably can't give you as good of advice as some of the more seasoned caregivers, but I have managed to fill all the spots I have and have been having to turn people away, so I could give a few tips. I'm not good at interviewing either, but what I have found helps a lot is that I have created my own website which answers many of the questions parents have beforehand; I make sure they look at it before coming so neither of us wastes our time. I also email them a copy of my contract before the interview so that they can look it over and be prepared with any questions they might have. That way there is a lot less to cover during the interview and it is a more casual meeting during which they ask a few questions and we get to know each other a bit and I can interact with the child instead of focusing on telling them everything. I also give a tour and show them around all the areas used for daycare. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Expansive...
    I think most people have a horrible first interview so don't feel bad. I think it is important to do a warm first impression and have the entrance of your home clean and welcoming.

I do a bit of small talk when they walk in.
    I offer to help them with coats, etc.
    Make sure you greet their child if they brought them along. A lot of parents complain that providers spend a lot of attention on the parents and none at the child during interviews. Say hi and ask the child's name and greet them warmly.
    I usually lead my clients to my living room and offer a seat, show them the back yard from the window since it is a walk out basement underneath. This also allows them to see the kitchen, some of the toys on the mainfloor and the table with boosters, etc without me actually pointing out everything or having to formally show everything.
    Then I ask them to tell me a bit about what they are looking for, when they need care for, what sort of hours, days and ask some questions about the child.
    Then I ask them if they would like to come upstairs to see the play room and play areas and nap areas. (My daycare is on the upstairs level).
    I take them upstairs and show the nap areas and talk about naps a bit, I show the playroom....again pay attention to the child and ask questions to the parent about what their child likes to do. People love to talk about their children.
    I then see what questions they have for me and answer those but keep it more like a conversation and not an interview.
    I often interject with info about the daycare myself...how much we go outside, about snacks and lunch, about school pick ups and how we do go outside, funny stories about the kids or talking about crafts we have done.
    usually parents will ask about your police check and first aid and if they do I get out my binder and show them while talking to them and I show them our newsletters. I usually don't show a formal menu unless they ask.
    I usually leave my daycare handbook with each parent.
    I do not send all the application forms to the parent. I used to send each parent with all the application forms and questionnaires and financial contracts but I think that is a waste until you know how serious they are. I find that just giving the handbook answers most of their questions and lets them read through and determine whether you are what they are looking for. If they call or email you back then you can get into the other documentation.

Euphoric !
    Even now after many many years of interviewing I find I am nervous for interviews and the more I am anxioius to get a space filled the worse I feel just before. When they arrive I take them on a tour of the main floor and talk about each area so I am doing the leading, talking, and in control and I find that helps settle me down somewhat. I ask them a few questions as we go along. My house is basically in a circle so we move from front door through livingroom to diningroom which is our upstairs playroom. We pause briefly and if it is an older child they start to play. I explain when we use this room and show them the back yard from the window and talk a bit about outside. We then move into the kitchen where I have a childsize table for 6 and up to 3 highchairs as needed (our table is in the end of the family room). I use this opportunity to talk a little about food and ask parents questions like what kind of a cup their child uses, basically where are they at in the eating spectrum, puree, fingerfoods, uses utensils, likes/dislikes etc. We then move from kitchen to basement door area and they can see the family room from here where my hubby and daughter are so introduce them, then we continue on to where I change diapers just outside our 2 piece bath ( I have an old computer desk I use as a change table). This gives me a chance to talk about diapering and them bringing a bag and leaving here, that I provide the wipes but they bring the cream etc. From here we move to the basement playroom. I send them down first since I lock the door behind us because of my daughter. By the time I get down they are looking around and an older child has gone off to play. I let them look around a bit more and then start pointing out centres or features or whatever as a way of telling about our day.

The idea here is that by the time we get to sitting down and talking I have managed to get all my info in there and now it is their turn to talk. "Tell me about the kind of childcare you are looking for" is my opening question. Their answer often helps me make up my mind right then and there if this is a family for me. I learn how realistic their expectations are, how much they have thought about it for themselves and how much sounds like they are reading a paragraph from the how to find childcare booklet and it gives me an insight into how they do things at home.

Best piece of advice is don't be afraid to take the upperhand and run the interview. You are interviewing a prospective client. It isn't just about them accepting you. I used to worry about the interviews but have learned when I take my earnestness to fill a space out of the equation that I can be more relaxed and rational. Not every family that comes through your home will choose you and it isn't necessarily because you did anything wrong.

I have had parents stay 15 minutes and then call me in a few days to ask for the space. They had found what they thought was the right space but just had to be sure so set up several visits just to get a feel for what else was out there and I guess they liked the feel.

I don't give them anything in advance but do send them away with my info and forms and ask them to please email if there is anything they would like more clarification on.

Oh I am so sorry that you feel this way.
    It is alright. I am sure people will see that you were trying to make an effort.
    All you need to be is to be yourself and give answers from your heart.
    Please don't feel like you are being interviewed. I know that you want to be as professional as possible but the end of the day they are going to leave their children with you. They are as nervous as you are.
    Honesty and believability go along way.
    Good luck!

Euphoric !
    Sorry to hear you feel bummed about the way the interview went....
    Just wanted to add a couple of points, although the ladies above me pretty much said it all!! Firstly, we have all had interviews we wish we could "do-over"!!! My first one ever was amazing, went really well. In hindsight, it had nothing to do with me, and everything to do with the mom that I was sitting down with. The next two were AWFUL. Like, hope-I-never-run-into-them-at-the-grocery-store bad, hahahaha. So it happens.
    I absolutely agree that it is a good idea to "take charge" of the meeting. DO NOT feel like you must IMPRESS them. Ultimately, you are interviewing each other. Pretending you are someone you are not will work out badly in the end, anyway, as it sets up false expectations. Not to say that is what you are doing, but I just think it's important that you are as YOU as possible. If they like you, great. If not, then the relationship wouldn't have worked out anyway. It's like dating, really!!
    I give a quick tour of the house, showing them all areas that the child(ren) would have access to. Usually that naturally leads to conversation about eating, diapering, sleeping, etc. We sit down, either in the indoor playroom or the upstairs living room and chat a bit. I do have a "cheat sheet" for myself. It's basically my own handbook, with added notes and questions that I have found necessary over time. Then I give them time to ask me questions, etc. Sometimes this takes 15 or 20 minutes, sometimes an hour or more! And no, the hour interviews don't necessarily mean that they're in. I have had my quickest interviews (thought for sure it was a no) call back right away for a spot.
    Bottom line, I am sure you did great. And if you didn't; oh well! That's how we learn, right? I tweak my interview a little bit after every family, so I am still working on it!! Just move on, and good luck with the next one....
    Last edited by mom-in-alberta; 04-26-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typing too fast!!

Starting to feel at home...
    Please remember that it may not have been you... you and the parent may not have been a good match. Even though I have been doing childcare for 12+ years I still have interviews that go wrong... it happens dont worry

Expansive...
    aww lots of good thoughts!