Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

What are people's thoughts on a midwife ?

Im looking into a midwife im not pregnant yet but planing for summer of 2012 when i try to get prgo's i had a C section with my first he was a huge baby 10lbs 12oz and didn't feel like coming out even after being induced i just wouldn't go into labor no contractions or anything. So thinking that maybe my next baby will be different probably still big but i still want to try a natural birth and experience labor and delivery weird i know but i still want to try. Now that you know my life story LOL What do people think of midwives i did some research and think it may be a good path and different experience. Has anybody had one and how did you like them wich do you prefer it will be in a hospital setting i still want the option of drugs

Starting to feel at home...
    I have had 4 natural births.

My first was 10lbs...born at 42 weeks.
    My second was 9.5lbs born at 40 weeks.
    My third was 8.5lbs born at 41 weeks.
    My fourth was 9.5lbs born at 41 weeks.

I used midwives with all of my births...the first baby was born in hospital but the other three were born at home. Midwives are a wonderful experience!! The time taken, compared to an OB is amazing...as is the personalization of care. Each appointment was an hour, and I never felt rushed. Midwives in Ontario can write prescriptions, get ultrasounds, and have hospital priviledges so you can birth in hospital if you are not comfortable with homebirth.

The best part is that they are covered by OHIP! The goverment doesnt' typically cover risky business, so that's a good sign for those who are skeptical.

Also, having had 4 relatively large babies, I will say that the baby's POSITION means more than the baby's SIZE. My 8lb baby was my most difficult birth (although my smallest)...his head was in the wrong position and it made for a very long labour that stalled at 8cm. I ended up doing squats on the stairs to enable him to move his head into the pelvis properly (my midwife suggested it)...something I couldn't have done if I'd had an epidural, and it made all the difference!! He would have been a cesarean otherwise, she said.

If you have any questions at all please feel free to PM me or ask here. I'm very open and there isn't much that I won't share.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    I adore midwives. Adore. I cannot say enough good things about them

Shy
    I'm in the UK and the system is a little different; having midwives is the norm over here. I agree with mamaof4. The midwife I had for my daughter's birth was an absolute gem, I could not have done it without her. She really made me appreciate what my body is capable of.

Shy
    I had a midwife for all three of my children and they are wonderful! I've never had one complaint.

LOVE midwives!

I always knew I wanted to use a midwife. I have been to ob visits w/friends, as well as stayed the night in hospital w/one friend(optional c) and was at a hospial birth(natural) for another. They pretty much confirmed my choice.

I had my son at home in a water birth. Best experience ever! My mother im law was there-shes had 6 kids(26-9yo) and said if she could go back, she would have a midwife for all of them.

They offer the best care throughout your whole pregnancy. I plan on doing the same for my next child.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Expansive...
    an aside- one of my homebirthing friends had a midwife and was all set to deliver at home- her midwife caught an issue before delivering- that would normally not have been picked up until after delivery-because of her attentive care, her baby was delivered safely.

Dreamtree
    Quick question,

If you have a birth with your midwife in a hospital are their any doctors attending?

Euphoric !
    I loved my two experiences with a midwife and hated my experience with an OB! I had my children in the hospital with a midwife and to me it was the best of both worlds. They care so much and spend so much extra time with you and work with you on what you would like. You still get all the testing that you want done and you can have drugs if you want (I never did), plus if you are in the hospital there are doctors on call who can come if there is an emergency, but if everything goes well there are no doctors involved. Much more peaceful!

Starting to feel at home...
    If you have a midwife-attended low risk birth in a hospital there would no doctors present. Your birth professional in that case would be the midwife. However, if there are complications then a doctor can be called in for consultation, but your midwives remain with you for the entire birth experience.

With my first, there were complications that required our homebirth to transfer to hospital. The complications were such that my care was transferred to the OB who was working and he caught my son. My midwives stayed with me until I was comfortable and ready to sleep after the delivery.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~