Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When is snack/lunch time?

I have a 4 year old that is always asking over and over again when the next mealtime is because she's apparently starving. Then, she proceeds to eat hardly anything. So frustrating!! Today, I tried to force her to finish the little bit (I've scaled down her portions & this was a snack of everything she likes) on her plate...during that 5 min she cried, said her tummy really hurt. Quite the dramatics. I finally gave up as mom arrived & was in a rush.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I care for a two and a half year old boy that is the same way, always asking to eat. He doesn't have a problem with the actual eating though. In fact, I have posted about "cutting him off". He is not starved, thats for sure.
    But all day long with the "X's HUN-reeeee" (he always refers to himself in third person). Staring at my fridge and cupboard. I asked mom and she says he's the same at home.
    I don't know. Do you think she might be bored? I've been a bored eater for as long as I can remember. Or maybe she's coming down with a tummy bug? If she's getting crampy tummies, maybe she THINKS she is hungry. My girls just had a nasty virus that caused stomach pains that came and went.

Sometimes I truly do think it is just 'habit / routine' to ask questions like this and has nothing to do with them being actually 'hungry'?

I have one like that - first thing out of his mouth 'what we eating today' You can tell him and 10 minutes later he will ask AGAIN. It has gotten to the point where I just say 'Asked and answered dude' and ignore him - cause otherwise he will just keep asking like a broken record - what we eating, when we eating, how long to we eating .... seriously we have the SAME routine everyday dude and your almost FIVE you should know by now when we are eating next. Although he actually EATS whenever food is served and is also one of those kids who has no cut off of being 'full' ... I truly think he asks theses things just cause he cannot think of any other way to start a conversation?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    Do you think she might be bored? I've been a bored eater for as long as I can remember. Or maybe she's coming down with a tummy bug? If she's getting crampy tummies, maybe she THINKS she is hungry. My girls just had a nasty virus that caused stomach pains that came and went.
    . Re: Bored. Yes, for sure I think that's it...she fleets from activity to activity in minutes, never settling on something for long at all. Funny thing is, her 1 year old sister is extremely independant and will play/create activities by herself no problem...on the rare occasion her sister actually leaves her alone and stops constantly redirecting her (when the 1 year old is contently playing by herself!). Definitely not a tummy bug; behaviour has benn ongoing since Jan., when she started. She starts school in Sept., I suspect it will be a challenge for her to focus.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

apples and bananas
    my problem isn't asking to be fed, they all think that the minute I walk into the kitchen food magically appears on the table. All three of them follow me in and stand around me whining and crying. I have to pull the milk out of the fridge and hide it on the counter when getting their cups ready. It drives me crazy! I feed a snack between 9 and 9:30 depending on drop off. Lunch I start to make at 11:15 and serve by 11:30 and afternoon snack is served between 3 and 3:30. Lately my little ones have been asking to go into their high chair by 8am (drop offs at 7am) so, i've been putting them up with some cheerios while I eat my breakfast.

Outgoing
    My guys are like yours apples and bananas. Nobody can walk into the kitchen without someone freaking out thinking its time for food, even if we just left the table after a meal! Its very frustrating and annoying some days for me. I go to the kitchen to throw out something in the garbage and have 4 kids hanging off the gate and then sobbing because they didn't get anything. I make it a habit to keep reminding them that just because someone is in the kitchen doesn't mean its time for food. My meal times are pretty much to the minute each day just to ensure everyone stays happy

Snack here is 9:30 or 10, and lunch is at noon. Afternoon snack is around 3 or 3:30, depending on when everyone's up from nap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I serve breakfast at 8am to the children who arrive by that time, then lunch at 11:30 and afternoon snack at 3pm. I don't have any children like you ladies have described, but I do find that when I say I'm going to make lunch they are all standing at the doorway to the toyroom thinking it's ready in a few seconds. Then I turn around to see that and tell them to all go back to playing because it takes a long time for lunch to cook. Funny little people!

Shy
    I have a 4 year old in care who is like this, she eats like a bird at lunch and now does not nap so about 40 minutes she is asking for food because she is hungry, so I tell her I have the rest of her lunch if she is hungry or she will have to wait until snack which is at 3:00. She is the hardest child I have ever had for food - now that she is very verbal she now runs to the table and then tells me what I serve her is 'yucky', mainly does not want homemade cheesy noodles but KD.

Shy
    oh and times for meals here - morning snack is at 9:15 (after we get back from bringing my DD to school), lunch at 12:00, afternoon snack at 3:00 (to allow for time to get my DD at school)