Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

By far the most amazing childcare acitivity we've ever done!

This week, after 21 days of anticipation, my daycare kids (and my own) got to witness 12 little chicks hatching from eggs
    It was amazing! They had such a great time, and we've been filling in our time reading books about chickens and chicks and doing chick related crafts. The kids have been helping me care for their habitat by adding more food and changing the water, and of course holding and loving on the chicks. It's been a great experience for them and I will absolutely do this year after year!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I also want to add that I had my screen name changed...used to be "Lisa" And sorry I've been away for a while, I havent been well and actually had to close down for a whole week and was just staying away from people (even virtual people!) in general. I'm back though! Promise!

Expansive...
    Welcome back and I hope your health only improves from here on!

re: the chicks, that's awesome! I remember having the same thing in Grade 2 and it was so much fun the memory is still there!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Welcome back and glad your feeling better ..... Little chicks are so cute ; ). Too bad they grow up .... What are you going to do with them ? Do you live on a farm?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    Thanks ladies.

No, I actually put up an ad on Kijiji wondering if any local farmers offered a rental program for this and to my surprise I got several responses, one of which was willing to let me do it for free providing I return the chicks to her (which I would have needed to do anyways!). They hatched Tuesday and I will be returning them on Monday, so we got 7 days of fluffy chick goodness

Oh that is awesome idea to posted a wanted ad for chicks ... I'm remembering this for next spring!!

I sorta got to do it last year - but the local museum was the ones actually doing it we just went few times to watch which is not the same as daily accesses to changes!!!

Glad you are feeling better I empathize cause this winter was rough on a lot of people
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    Very cool! I would love to do that with my daycare kids but I have a cat that would probably give the chicks all heart attacks. What a wonderful learning experience for the daycare children. Pat yourself on the back for going the extra mile. Kudos!

Hope you are feeling well and your health problems are behind you and thanks for telling us about your name change so we know who you are.

Expansive...
    I had a miscarriage I'm ok, physically recovered...just emotionally heartbroken. Sorry to spin this thread around, I just wanted to get that out there.

Euphoric !
    Oh, I'm so sorry. It takes a long, long time, but let yourself grieve and feel all the feelings, you need to do that. Getting back to work and routines always helps the days go by. Healing emotionally takes a lot longer than healing physically.

Expansive...
    ..........thats all
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!