Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Starting to feel at home...
    I believe that if you think they are in the wrong, go ahead and report. The worst thing that could happen is that it was a misunderstanding and the provider is doing an excellent job. The other side is that they may be over their numbers and operating illegally which is putting children at risk. I would call.... but I am also a stickler for the rules

Quote Originally Posted by Hand in Hand View Post
    I'm not grumpy or annoyed, just concerned about the number of children in care. I have the info for the province I'm in, and this provider is WAY over her numbers. I'm torn. I don't want to cause harm to anyone - especially the children. There are too many horror stories in the news about home daycare and I'd feel terrible if this provider is the next one in the news because of something happening to one of the kids in care.

Thanks for the info and comments
    I am in the same boat. I know the rules for our province as I emailed child services and had them tell me exactly and keep the email for my own records as well. However as I wait for my son everyday I watch this woman across the street from the school and count the kids as they enter her home.... legal amount is 6 plus your own... I know none of the little ones are hers as she is older and her kids are teens, But she has 13 kids go into her house. 6 of which are under school age. The numbers here are 3 under the age of 3 and only 2 of those can be under the age of 2... she has 6. I just dont know if I should say anything... the parents dont seem to care so maybe I shouldnt either! I DONT KNOW!!! It is frustrating to know that I STRUGGLED for over a year to fill the spots I had and she had enough for 2 day homes! but at the same time... its her sanity, not mine. I would however never be able to live with myself if something happened to one of those kids because I kept my mouth shut. She is very patient and the kids all seem happy, but... the law is the law.

13 kids??? Holy crap!

I know what you mean! I have one of those on my street too! I tried to report to the ministry today and all I got was an answering machine. Should I just leave an anonymous message?

Quote Originally Posted by DaycareLulu View Post
    I know what you mean! I have one of those on my street too! I tried to report to the ministry today and all I got was an answering machine. Should I just leave an anonymous message?
    My biggest thing was wanting to remain annonymous... I live in a very small town so dont need that backlash.

Euphoric !
    Often the parents are unaware of numbers too. If you are advertising spaces make sure in your ad that you coopy and paste the ministry info making it clear to parents that unlike others in town, your daycare numbers stay within compliance. Once parents know they will start to think twice hopefully even if she is charging less.

She may wrongly think she can have 6 preschoolers plus 6 afterschoolers.

Another thing that people should remember is the liability factor - I worked in the insurance industry for years and if you have a home daycare which is not licenced, most Insurance companies will only let you have 5 kids + your own MAX. If god forbid something were to happen to one of the children and the insurance company found out they had more kids then they were allowed, they may not pay any liability claims so that provider could very well lose everything! Not really worth it in the long run....

Aside from that, it is very frustrating when you know that people are well over their limits and you are struggling to fill up your own daycare!

While I realize that people are just trying to make a living, you would have to be superwoman to look after 13 kids - and there is no way they are getting the attention they deserve with so many kids in one home!