Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reporting a Home Daycare

I know there have been many threads on here about reporting fellow home child care providers. Just wondering if anyone knows who to contact to report someone.

Depends on which Province you are located in?

If you are in Ontario you would go the Ministry of Education website and find childcare section and click 'what do I do if I have concerns about my childcare' and they have a check list of protocol to follow.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/childcare/concerns.html

I would imagine that other provinces have the same info on their websites?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Starting to feel at home...
    i think it depends on what its about. If you suspect they are abusing the children in some way you would contact child services or police. But you really have to be careful with this and be 100% sure that there would be something worth reporting and that you have full proof. Not just what you "think" or "perceive" is going on. This is a very serious thing you'd be doing that would affect someone else's life very drastically and negatively. If its in regards to # of children and ratios, you have to know your stuff. what the definite rules are for your province. are they private or registered and how those rules are different to both. also whether this person has extra help inside with another assistant or adult, etc.
    Either way, if its something really bad that is causing the children great harm, then do it immediately. But if you're just grumpy and annoyed with someone and are wanting to make their life hard, i really wouldn't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayhome Mamma For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dayhome Mamma View Post
    i think it depends on what its about. If you suspect they are abusing the children in some way you would contact child services or police. But you really have to be careful with this and be 100% sure that there would be something worth reporting and that you have full proof. Not just what you "think" or "perceive" is going on. This is a very serious thing you'd be doing that would affect someone else's life very drastically and negatively. If its in regards to # of children and ratios, you have to know your stuff. what the definite rules are for your province. are they private or registered and how those rules are different to both. also whether this person has extra help inside with another assistant or adult, etc.
    Either way, if its something really bad that is causing the children great harm, then do it immediately. But if you're just grumpy and annoyed with someone and are wanting to make their life hard, i really wouldn't.
    I'm not grumpy or annoyed, just concerned about the number of children in care. I have the info for the province I'm in, and this provider is WAY over her numbers. I'm torn. I don't want to cause harm to anyone - especially the children. There are too many horror stories in the news about home daycare and I'd feel terrible if this provider is the next one in the news because of something happening to one of the kids in care.

Thanks for the info and comments

You also have to understand that providers that are over thier ratios aren't nec. doing a bad job eithier. I know of a couple of dayhomes where I am that are over, but provide GREAT CARE. I would proceed with caution depending on the nature of your concern

Starting to feel at home...
    I think regardless of whether they provide great care or not, all providers should follow the rules regarding the numbers. It's simply illegal to have more than a certain number. Being good at it is beside the point. I wonder if this provider is aware of the rules if they are "way" over what's allowed. Maybe they just aren't aware. Is your relationship with the person one where you could casually mention it?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazmic For This Useful Post:

I am not looking to start a debate over it, but before I report I gather all my facts

I agree with Jazmic - that the laws are the laws ... being over ratio is illegal and it also means that they are operating without proper insurance in the event of an accident.... it does not matter who capable a person is or how 'stupid' you might think the rules are ... we are a society that has 'rules and consequences' for a reason - to maintain decorum and if we are start just doing our own thing you have anarchy before long

However one does need to make sure that they are TRULY illegal cause in some provinces the laws are STUPID and make it hard to know if someone is illegal or not ... for example in Ontario if you are operating a program through a 'licensed agency' you can only have 5 children including your own and there are even limits on the AGES of those 5 children HOWEVER if you operate a 'private home daycare' you are allowed to have 5 children between 0-10 years of age PLUS your own .... so if you see someone walking down the street with 8 children and they are all under 5 years of age your first thought might be 'wow that must be illegal' however if in reality 3 are the providers OWN children she is not illegal and it is up to the parents to choose if they are comfortable with that many children in care and that age mix and so forth! On the flipside none of the children could be hers and she could be totally illegal and just not know the rules or not CARE because to her they do not make sense cause what difference does it make if any of them are her children or not?

My point being is that depending on the rules for your province it is very HARD for JOE PUBLIC to know the difference between illegal and legal care based solely on the ####'s ... you have to know the provider and her circumstances and if she is private or licensed and so forth.

Hard call - ultimately you have to do what feels right in your own soul ... I am one who if I KNEW would have to report because if something happened I could not live with myself after the fact ... and if your doing it with good intentions and are 'wrong' better to air on side of caution than for society to keep turning a 'blind eye' so to speak!

And for those in society who do not agree with the rules of our government - we advocate to CHANGE THEM we do not just IGNORE THEM
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

jec
    I agree that the rules are the rules. If we are not following rules, then why can't parents question some of ours....taking advantage of home providers as someone over their numbers is taking advantage.
    True, some providers are excellent and over their numbers but, for myself I would be cautious in reporting and get your facts ~ which sounds like you know.

I agree with you dodge- I know a lot of great providers who are also over. The parents know and I know she is an excellent provider.
    Just take all things above that the ladies offered in advice. Good luck in your choice to call or not.

I want to make it clear that I fully understand that rules are rules... I would never do it because I do not want to deal with the risks associated with that; or damaging relationships with exsisting, potential clients or the comunity in which I live. I have had a disgrunted terminated client report me just cause she could it was a waste and embarassing. :S

There are a couple of dayhomes in my area that I know that are over, but thier teen daughters help, grandma helps, or hubby does too....So in some instances being over does not mean that children are not taken care of, that being said I would report some others if I had PROOF cause I know the kids suffer for it.