Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Can a home childcare provider have more than one agency represent them?

Hello,
    I am wondering if anyone has more than one agency represent them? Which agencies are good? Ive look at a few the city gives the provider for an infant around 30 dollars a day?

Hmmm - I guess that might depend on the agency - but my guess is going to be NO that you have to pick one and go with them?

I know when I was comparing back in 2007 I had looked at the two in my area to compare and the one was a privately funded 'franchise chain' agency and it paid way less, had less resources for providers, forced you to follow 'their' boxed curriculum and they did not even allow you to take PRIVATE clients if you found them let alone partner with another agency - so if you had a space in your program you had to wait for THEM to fill it - so I obviously did not go with them - being with an agency has 'cons' as it is but those just tipped the scale to say the least.

The agency I ended up going with you were virtually still 'self employed' they referred you clients but you chose to accept them into your program or not depending on the fit and you could take private clients as long as you stayed within the 'age restrictions' of a licensed model, you designed and implemented your own program as long as it met the DNA requirements for variety and developmentally appropriate ... they had an awesome toy lending and resource library and they offered monthly newsletters with ideas and resources plus they offered monthly professional development workshops and networking ... I was with them my first two years - however I found that I was always able to secure private clients much faster than they could refer and set up interviews for me as the middleman and well after two years I gave up my contract with them because I found that the OEYC in my area offered all the same 'resources' for only a $25 a year membership fee and well I was wasting the agency resources cause they still had to come out monthly and 'inspect' the premises despite not having any clients enrolled here 'just in case' they referred someone.

What provide are you in again Connect?

Do you HAVE to be with an agency?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Hello Inspired,
    Thanks for answering. Well I live in Ontario in the GTA. I looked into the City's home childcare Services. My kids went to city daycare so I inquired. I always had the home childcare business in mind. I am wondering because when I bring clients I want them to know that my home has been liscensed. I guess I am needing the support as well because I am really scared. I have worked in this field for years but at least there were people around. I just want support and ideas on how I could improve my programme although I know I probably will be fine. Once I get my programme going I get very excited. I also want to reassure my parents though.

Euphoric !
    In all honesty I don't think most parents expect a home daycare to be licensed and as such the cost to the agency might not be worth the effort. The agency skims money off the top of the fees so you make less per child than you could privately for the "privilege" of the agency support. Depending on the agency the support is minimal at best. On the other hand when just starting out it can be a way to get the paperwork in order quickly. And then to start personalizing the forms until you have them they way you like them and use those when you leave the agency. If the agency can fill your spaces fine but from talking to other caregivers it almost seems like the agencies open as many homes as they can and put 1-2 children in each one with the idea of having spaces available should they need them. This means you will be looking for clients privately to fill the other spaces anyways but will be limited by the age restrictions which can be especially frustrating since you will only be allowed three children under age 3 so unless you are taking school age it will be more and more an issue as we move to full day kindergarten.

You might do better to frequent an early years centre of drop in playgroup. Talk to other daycare providers and find out if there are support groups in your area. Many providers with years of experience will mentor a new provider. There are online sources of info. There maybe a childcare support group in your area. Our Ottawa association has start up information sessions. I think there is info on their website too for a package of info you can download that gives you things to think about and do before opening. www.ccprn.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: