Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Home or out-of-home preschool?

Hello I'm just new here, and my name is Maria. I am considering sending my daughter to a preschool close to home. However, I am wondering if it would be better for her to stay in my own home preschool. What are your opinions on this? Should my own child go to another preschool, or stay in the preschool her mom teaches?

First off welcome!

Secondly - it all depends on you! My mom taught my sister and I dancing, and while she said my sister was easy to deal with, I wasn't! She really had to get through to me that she wasn't taking any nonsense from me. She said to me (later in life), that she really had to tell me that she wasn't mommy when she taught me. She was the teacher, and I had to follow the rules just like anyone else.

So, if you can do that, then keep your daughter at home with you. If not, I'd send her to another preschool. It might be nice for her to learn some independence from going away from mommy (and could help her when she does go to school f/t).

Good luck!

Ya - I think it totally depends on the child's personality and learning style as well as the parents parenting/teaching style and if it is the same regardless of if they treat their own child 'different' than other students .... some children 'need' to have some time away from their parent to thrive and some parents need to have some time away from their child for their relationship to thrive and well some thrive being together as much as possible.

I have worked with peers where having their child in their own program was a huge success for everyone - you could not even 'tell' that they were a parent/child mix - and on the flip side I have worked with others where they needed to be 'separated' because either the child dominated the parents attention and could not 'share' them with the other students and had huge behaviour issues that they did not have for 'other teachers' and some cases where the parent was so very HARD on the child within the program and held them to a higher standard then the other students and it created unease in the program because there are ways you can discipline and talk to your own children that you cannot discipline or talk to STUDENTS and some people cannot separate the parent from the teacher roles!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi