Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Well, I used to throw my back out occasionally. There are better carriers for helping with that...mei tais, mobi wrap, ergo. Basically, when I see my chiro, and keep up with my other issues through workouts, I can maintain health in my back. My lower back issues are a result of tight hamstrings...because I know that, I can work on my hamstrings to ease that burden, kwim? But, not everyone's backpain is the same. And it's debilitating when it hits. I feel your pain!
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emilys4Guppies For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the post Emily. I just recently, in the Fall, threw my back out again. The last time I threw it out I was in university, and it was hit and miss for 8 months (and that included physio 2-3 times/wk!). Luckily this time around, I only have a little one (whos' mom is my physiotherapist), and my dance students still took as I laid on the ground teaching them Highland!!!

I don't think I'll ever be wearing (once I have my own) baby. I'm just trying to regain my own core muscles from this last incident!!!

Euphoric !
    Something to remember too is the age of children coming into care. In Ontario for instance most kids are 12 months when they start care so need to be developming their own walking muscles rather than being carried everywhere. That doesn't mean there aren't extra cuddles but it does mean that crawling and getting there on their own is developmentally appropriate. Not to mention some can be 30 lbs. - especially the ones that have been carried too long and need more exercise time.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    I am not a parent (yet), but have a daycare (but don't have young young children).

One question I have is: How are your backs holding up!?!?! I don't think I'll ever be able to babywear as I have cronic back pain, and can easily throw out my back (once again).
    Im with emilys4guppies on this one... Its all about the carrier that you have and not every carrier works for every mommy or every baby. My favorite is the mai-tie.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Something to remember too is the age of children coming into care. In Ontario for instance most kids are 12 months when they start care so need to be developming their own walking muscles rather than being carried everywhere. That doesn't mean there aren't extra cuddles but it does mean that crawling and getting there on their own is developmentally appropriate. Not to mention some can be 30 lbs. - especially the ones that have been carried too long and need more exercise time.
    HAHA, mines in the 3rd percentile for weight (hubby and myself have high metabolisms too) so i don't think I need to worry about his calorie burn!

But your right in that they do need some floor time and lots of opportunites to develop their motor skills.

Shy
    Core strength is important and starting out either when your babe is young and light or starting slowly if they are older and your body isn't used to it. You also have to switch to a back carry before they get to heavy, the extra weight on your front will throw your back out. I am also super careful with how I bend or move, I try to make sure I'm bending with my legs in a squat or lung position and keeping my back straight - the added benefit is super toned thighs from all the squats!

Euphoric !
    Another thing that comes to mind though is carry the babies is one thing but does do justice to the older kids or do they suffer. You loose the freedom to be spontaneous - to pick them up or to have them flop down in your lap for a story - the babies are always in the way. I understand the whole attachment parenting thing but it is about bonding with the mother and baby not just about being lugged around. I have been a caregiver for 25 years and deal only with infants and toddlers. There is no way it would have been feasible to carry 1-2 kids constantly for that length of time. If you do it now for your daycare children you may not be in a healthy enough state to do it for your own future children or grandchildren. Just something to think about. The back, legs and shoulders take an awful beating from doing daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    If you do it now for your daycare children you may not be in a healthy enough state to do it for your own future children or grandchildren. Just something to think about. The back, legs and shoulders take an awful beating from doing daycare.
    I would definitely not do it for the daycare children (I have a stroller for a reason!). It was more of a question on when I have my own!

Thanks for all your responses!!!!

Euphoric !
    I am a new daycare provider and mother of three (15 years, 2.5 years, and 8 months). I babywear and use and accept cloth diapers. I have never worn two at once and I'm not sure if I could manage that much weight at once, but I love being able to have my daughter on my back especially when the kids are playing outside since she isn't walking yet. Once she is walking, if I have a daycare child who is younger, I will certainly wear him/her the same way.

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I would never baby wear, not only for the reasons that Playfelt mentioned but because my body type doesn't allow it. I tried to baby wear my girls when they were little but it really really hurt my back, I am really short and difficult to wear a baby who might be longer than my core I also don't accept children until they are 11 months old and at this time, the children should be exploring and enjoying their environment vs being held all the time. I am a cuddlly type of caregiver, so I agree that I love being able to spontaniously cuddle with the kids as necessary.

As for cloth diapers I have no problems with them. Both my daughters were cloth diaper gals, but EVERY daycare family that has inquiried about them has refused to go with my daycare because I don't have a bathroom in my daycare and will not dump. What goes into the diaper goes home in the diaper. Parents also have to supply the special bag that is pretty much odour free. I guess I shouldn't say every family, one decided to go with me but switched to disposable for daycare days, lol.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com