Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Shy
    Hi (my first post here)

This thread really caught my eye, not only about the cloth diaper question but the AP. I have a 3 year old daughter and a 2 month old. I also run a home daycare in Dundas. We use cloth diapers and I have 2 other children in my care who also use cloth diapers.

Don't laugh but up until a month ago I didn't know that AP was a 'style' of parenting. I thought that it was just called 'being a parent'. I have 2 kinds of carriers, one of the harness ones that you clip on your back and just recently we got a Wrap. I'm in LOVE with the wrap. My little one has spent a lot of time in there during the day when she's sleeping and even awake (facing out), leaving no pain at all in my back or shoulders.

So I guess to answer your question... yes there are providers who practice AP and use cloth diapers. Like some of the other replies ahead of me.... I send the soiled cloth diapers home in the wet bag for the parents to take care of. If they have a service, the whole thing goes home, if they do the laundry themselves, I do my best to rinse the diaper/insert for them so it's not so nasty when they get home.

Euphoric !
    Ohana what will you do when you have another parent come to you and ask you to wear her child. What will you do when you have a parent come to you and expect you to sanitize the toilet/sink area with bleach every time you rinse a diaper for fear some of the water has slattered out. I think the point here is that what you do with your own child is your business and you have the right to hire a nanny and make it part of her work requirements but you do not have the right to expect a dayhome provider or a worker at a daycare centre to do it as those people get to set their own standards of business not the parents. We are sort of talking about two different things. I am not against baby wearing, cloth diapers (and have had kids in care with them but I do not rinse). I am just against being told to do it. A parent that wants attachment parenting should stay home and be attached or it becomes a mute point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by luppernoodle View Post
    Never, ever ask a daycare provider to do what you do at home. Daycares are businesses and as such, are accountable to all the parents in care, not just you. If you want your child in cloth diapers, be prepared to get it all back, poop and all. If you want your child worn, hire a nanny. If you were an admin assistant, would you pick up your bosses cleaning, get his coffee and buy his wife's birthday present? No, you wouldn't. You can't expect a woman caring for 5 children to be able to safely care for 4 other children while wearing your baby. If the caregiver injures her back wearing your baby and caring for the other children, you and the other parents are on the hook for her sick time and you may find yourself looking for new daycare because the other parents resent you and want you gone.
    I would never ask a daycare provider to wear my baby. I was only wondering if anyone was out there that did babywear as a general practice, by their own choice, not because of a parent's request. I would never expect a provider with multiple kids to do what I do at home, nor was I trying to suggest that daycare providers should practice attached parenting. I baby wear, but I don't co-sleep and I believe in letting a child CIO. I babywear because it's easy for me, I get more done and I don't find it strains my body. Plus both my child and I enjoy the closeness. I thought maybe some providers might find it a helpful practice to carry their younger/lighter children at times, but if it would make life harder than of course I wouldn't expect anyone to do it for my child or anyone elses. I never meant to somewhow imply by my query that I expect a daycare provider to wear my child or act like my nanny, I only wanted to hear if it was a common practice or not in daycare. I think your post is a little harsh, all things considered, but I understand that you may find some parents and their requests frustrating and may have misunderstood my post. I was mearly inquiring out of curiousity, as I find babywearing makes life easier, not suggesting that daycare providers should babywear. I would also expect that if a provider was to accept cloth diapers that I would do the work of cleaning them, I just wanted to know if they were accepted, period, not if someone would wash them for me!
    Last edited by Marie999; 05-30-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Euphoric !
    Baby wearing also has different meanings to different people. I have "worn" an infant my own or a daycare baby in a snuggly which was the term for them back then when we often got children into care at 4 -6 months of age. That is very different than now when we get children into care here in Ontario at least when they are 12 months old. At that age most caregivers expect a child to be moving into independence in terms of walking and gross motor and wearing the baby defeats that purpose. Closeness happens when we snuggle for a story not during playtime. The only time I wore the infant was when going to the park and they were too small to hold their head up properly and sit in the wagon and it saved having to push a stroller and pull a wagon at the same time. You have to remember that "back then" we didn't have the nice infant seats we have now with handles that you can just plop in the wagon. Once we were back home the infant was removed from the snuggly and put in the playpen, highchair, on the floor etc to move around and play. I even had a cape type coat that went over the snuggly too (from being pregnant) that I wore in the fall when it was cooler. The age issue is one that creeps up a lot in interviews. A parent forgets that while their baby is now only 6 months that they will be a year old and maybe even walking by the time they start daycare. Expectations need to be adjusted and that is hard for a parent that hasn't experienced the child's growth yet.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have no problem with parents asking me if I do certain things. I *DO* babywear. I love my wraps, slings and pouches. My babies love them too. Obviously I cannot feasably wear 5 babies at once but I do often wear at least one...we trade off who gets to be worn. It doesn't mean I always have a baby strapped to me...just that if we're walking down the street to the park, I will put one of the 11month olds on my back for the trip and the other two toddlers into the stroller.

I also cloth diaper my own. I have never met a cloth diapering parent who didn't expect to get their poopy diapers back at the end of the day. IME, it's easier to cloth diaper a DCK because their poopy dipes aren't taking up precious space in my limited garbage bags.

I think there is NOTHING wrong with asking IF a provider will accomodate for things like cloth dipes. If they don't, no biggie, move on. It's just like if organic food were important...you'd ask, and move on to find a daycare that does too. Or if a fully structured day were important....or if an educational program were important. Or if the daycare drives with the kids. Ect., ect. No harm in asking. But, in the end, it is up to the provider to decide what she's comfortable with, and you certainly can't make demands.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emilys4Guppies For This Useful Post:

Shy
    As for the rinsing of the diapers in the sink... i don't. I have a wonderful handy little hose that attaches to my toilet that I use to spray the stuff from the diaper into the toilet and flush. No need to use the sink. I also use gloves to avoid getting it on my hands.

For children in my care If a parents wants me to baby wear all the time I explain to them that simply isn't possible. I will put a little one in a carrier or wrap while we are out. Toddlers go in the buggy. There have been times when I'll baby wear a 1 year old while I'm getting lunch ready or if they are needing that extra cuddles.

"I have no problem with parents asking me if I do certain things. I *DO* babywear. I love my wraps, slings and pouches. My babies love them too. Obviously I cannot feasably wear 5 babies at once but I do often wear at least one...we trade off who gets to be worn. It doesn't mean I always have a baby strapped to me...just that if we're walking down the street to the park, I will put one of the 11month olds on my back for the trip and the other two toddlers into the stroller."

What she said
    ~ wife, mom & home childcare provider

Euphoric !
    I also wear the smallest kids on my back, but only on outings to save me from having to buy a triple strolle; my daughter or one of the other smaller kids goes on my back and the other two little ones sit in the stroller. The only other time I use the carrier is when we are playing outside in winter and I have one who isn't walking yet. I also use it sometimes with my daughter in the house, but not that often now that she is 11 months. It does not hinder being able to care for the others in any way...in fact it helps because then one child is safely out of the way on my back and my arms are free. I never suffer from back problems due to baby wearing.
    As for the cloth diapers, I don't rinse in the toilet, but will dump if there is a liner or if it is solid and falls off easily. I lift the seat and plop it right into the water, so it is actually no different than if a child were to poop into the toilet, so I see no health issues there. I always wash my hands after changing diapers anyway, so no difference there either. If there is no liner and it doesn't easily dump, it goes as is into the wet bag. I also love having most of my kids in cloth because I don't have garbage cans full of stinky diapers by the end of the week! Plus, they can play in them at the splash pad without them abosorbing a ton of water and leaking that gel stuff that disposables do (in absence of swim diapers).

Personally I use cloth for my own and have the luxury of taking the mess to my laundry room right outside the daycare door. If another parent had asked me about cloth I'd say yes but the whole package goes home because of sanitation reasons.

Legally, in Canada, you are supposed to dump solid bowel movements down the toilet even with disposable diapers. Feces is not meant to be in our landfills. All diaper packages in Canada instruct to flush solid waste.

With cloth diapers the general rule is that if it's solid enough to roll off the diaper without being scraped then into the toilet it should go. Otherwise, let the washer do the work. I've cloth diapered my 4 children.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Funny, I was JUST thinking about this. If I get the two boys I interviewed with today, I was planning on using my wrap for him, and the older two (current DCK and new preschooler) could go in the double stroller. Their baby is in cloth, and I have absolutely no prob dumping out the solid, but I will not rinse etc.

I also agree, what's the harm in asking?