Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Early in the game to be pushy...no?

I had an interview on Tuesday and it went very well! Happy baby who will be 12mos at start of care. I'm not sure if these are RED flags or pink-ishy one that I can 'help' avoid...

A) they emailed me asking for a interview 3 times in one day + 1 phone call
    B) could only be available for a 3:30 meeting (dcg was being pu'd early) so I agreed - while here mom mentioned "oh I was hoping to see all the kids in action". To which I said if dck's were here I would not agree to the interview, I'm sure you wouldn't want strangers coming by your daughter during the day...*smile*
    C) emailed me today saying that they would love their child to be with me but....have a concern re: the # of kids I have in care, not that I have an issue now but would like it for me to keep it that way (so not taking in any others). They would like me to follow the Licensed rules...no more than 5 including my own, 3 under 3yrs and 2 under 2yrs etc.

Right now I have:
    dcg 3yrs - 3 days a week (mom is prego, due in Nov. and don't know what's going on with that yet )
    dcb 2.75yrs - comes 1 day a week (dad's company is slow)
    my own DD 2yrs
    in two weeks - dcg 8mos old FT
    then there would be their child at 12mos FT

Am I sensing warning signs
    or
    have I read too many horror stories and now have my guard WAY up...it is something to even worry about?

How can I say "I can't see the future but for right NOW that is all I am taking in (I wont do more, two 'babies' are enough!) and when/if we come to that bridge we can discuss then"
    Last edited by Mamma_Mia; 05-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Starting to feel at home...
    It would be a red flag for me! I wouldn't promise anything. When I first started I told parent's I would only have one young one too and as time passed I felt I could handle more. I now have five between the ages 13 months and 24 months and I don't find it very difficult at all. All of my parents prefer that they are all around the same age. They need to trust that you know what you can handle and I would say that you can't promise that you may have 3 one year olds at some point.

Outgoing
    I wouldnt make any promises either. We are already really limited in regards to the ages we can take due to the full day kindergarten, and what if you only have people with young children interested in your daycare? Since I've been open, I have only had people with children that are 12 months old interested in my daycare. If I didn't take these people I would be empty.
    Just tell them you respect their concerns but you only add children to your care that you feel are a fit and that you feel you can watch safely. If they can't understand or agree to that, then they may not be the right fit for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I would say that those questions are normal, there are always concerns about how many kids are in our care. However, I would consider the way she's asking is a red flag. The details of your business are none of her business. I would be honest with her, these are the ages that I have right now, my goal is to have this many kids in care. I find that if we are completely honest with them upfront then they have no reason to be upset later on. And if she doesn't want her child in care with 4 other kids, then that will probably be reason for her to refuse care with you.

I origionally started this telling my first clients that I would only take 1 under 2 at a time. And here I am with 2 at 14 months and 1 at 22 months and I'm doing fine. I actually really like the mix.

I would completely see this as a red flag. Too demanding right from the beginning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

jec
    I think they are normal questions too but, I agree with apples, it's the way she is asking.
    I would upfront and honest with her too.
    If you see red flags ~ I always say listen to them!! Regardless of if her questions are normal or not. You saw her body language and tone that she is using. Go with you gut as it can't steer you wrong.

Euphoric !
    Normal questions yes and actual normal requests too but they need to be reminded who is in chage - they are not hiring a nanny and have no control over the environment. We take what every is available to us and more and more with full day school that means lots of young ones. IF they want licensed care rules then they need to go to licensed care and pay the appropriate rates. They can't have it both ways.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Normal questions yes and actual normal requests too but they need to be reminded who is in charge - they are not hiring a nanny and have no control over the environment. We take what every is available to us and more and more with full day school that means lots of young ones. IF they want licensed care rules then they need to go to licensed care and pay the appropriate rates. They can't have it both ways.
    Exactly this!

IMO, I would not take them on. Too many red flags for me. They don't get to tell you who and how many are allowed in your care - it's YOUR home daycare, not theirs!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Normal questions yes and actual normal requests too but they need to be reminded who is in chage - they are not hiring a nanny and have no control over the environment. We take what every is available to us and more and more with full day school that means lots of young ones. IF they want licensed care rules then they need to go to licensed care and pay the appropriate rates. They can't have it both ways.
    Perfectly stated and I agree 100%.

You can tell her you appreciate her concerns but this is the way it is at YOUR daycare.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Yup - I agree with Playfelt - unless your business plan is to follow 'licensed age restrictions' than I would thank them for their interest but they are NOT a match!

I personally choose to have no more than 2 under two years of age HOWEVER I do not advertize that publicly and I tell people in interviews that this is my CURRENT GOAL however if my financial situation changed and I HAD to ensure I was full and the only way I could do it was to take on more infants or QUIT daycare I would consider to take an additional under two cause MY BUSINESS - MY CHOICE and depending on how 'under two' they were they do grow independent quite quickly in care
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    this is my CURRENT GOAL however if my financial situation changed and I HAD to ensure I was full and the only way I could do it was to take on more infants or QUIT daycare I would consider to take an additional under two cause MY BUSINESS - MY CHOICE and depending on how 'under two' they were they do grow independent quite quickly in care
    I agree with this 100% This is what I'm going to tell them, if they like my answer great....if not then good luck!

I'm not looking to add anymore anyways but I do not know what the future holds - sh!t happens....and if all I was getting were requests for little ones than so be it.
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!