Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

Wearing a support for your wrist

I have recently taken on a wonderfully plump little 1 year old. She's the cutest thing and I love her a bunch, but I think picking her up is hurting my wrist. Since I've had her I've had this ongoing pain in my right wrist when I twist it. I can't not pick her up, she's only 1 and still needs help on stairs, out the door, in to the playpen, up on the change table etc.

Does anyone think I would look ridiculous to parents if i wear a support for my wrist?

What a strange work related injury. LOL

Euphoric !
    You are not crazy but they go on and off so easily I would wear it just when alone with the kids. I have one from shoppers drug mart that is actually for an ankle and it worked well for my son when he sprained his. But I use it on my wrist - like when I spend too much time on the computer - I pull it on and put the thumb through the heel opening and it comes about 3/4 up my forearm and works well. You can get actual wrist ones of course.

I also have a black wrist one made by tensor that is that nylon neoprene. It just wraps around the wrist and velcros closed. So both are easy on and off. I have worn them when wrist is bugging me and picking up kids is an issue.

I also wore the black one when pulling the wagon when I did school runs and would have 4-5 kids in the wagon - 5 x30 pounds plus wagon is a lot of weight.

Expansive...
    I have tendonitis and have since I was 19, so every so often with the wrong twist of my wrist I flare it up! I have the black nylon one for during the day and a stronger one with a 'bone' in it ofr when I'm sleeping. I also just got a small one at shoppers that wraps around the thumb and it's baige.....I wear that one most days. It's not uncommon to have that injury since it's caused by repetitive movements. Parents asked what happened and I tell them "had this for years....no biggie "

I also have a mild case of juvenile arthritis since birth in my knees and legs.....FUN TIMES!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Why work in pain - if it helps wear one hon no shame in that!!!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I sometimes wear both my wrist braces! I look like a tool, cause they don't even match, but I'm protecting myself from becoming too injured. I have permanently strained my wrists from playing soccer in the past (two different instances).

So, in conclusion, I say go for it!

Euphoric !
    Knees is a big one for me. Mostly I think from lifting my own child past the 60 pounds but she is special needs and options were minimal so we just did what we needed to do. Luckily at 130 pounds now she walks and can go up the stairs holding the railing - took years of practice to get to this point though.

I find getting down on the floor and being with the kids isn't really the issue it is getting back up. Gotta make sure there is a table or chair or something nearby to suppor me and then ignore the creaking if I have been down too long. Making some changes like circletime at the table instead of sitting in a circle that sort of thing but some play just has to be on the floor. I do have an elastic wrap for my one knee if it gets bad and love my no smell A535.

Euphoric !
    I have inflamed rotator cuffs (back of my shoulders) that started at my old medical lab job due to repetitive strain injury and my 35ish pound 2 year old is aggravating that old injury again just from lifting him into his playpen and out. I have him climb into his booster and everywhere else. So I'm switching him to a cot!

Do what you have to do to relieve pain, wear a brace or wrap it, ice it, heat it, take care of yourself. But check with your doctor, because I took anti-inflammatory drugs for about a year to keep my pain under control, now a couple of aspirin now and then takes care of it because I've learned not to carry heavy things often.

Definitely wear one before it escelates into something worse. take it off when they are napping and after hours if it doesnt hurt otherwise you will weaken the wrist over time. I have hypermobility in my wrists and they are dislocated more often than not so I will wear supports as often as possible to prevent them from poppong out of joint. Hopefully this will go away on its own once your not so little one is more mobile.