Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Criminal Record Check?

Hi guys,

Something I've encountered while setting up interviews in my new location is that a family wants me to have a criminal record check or a vulnerable sectors screening. I thought that when I looked into it last year, a home daycare provider that wasn't with an agency could only request the police clearancee letter.

What is your experience with this? I am looking on my local police site as well as he RCMP website, and it seems that an employer has to request the two aforementioned reports. As a home daycare provider, am I only able to obtain the police clearance, and not a vulerable sectors screening or criminal record check?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Hmmm - I have never had any trouble going in and saying 'I need this done'?

They might COST you MORE money to procure them if they are for 'private' but you should be able to get them ... with an agency, employer or volunteer designation you get them either FREE or DISCOUNTED depending on which model you are doing ... I took on a client who had a child in the CAS system in the process of adoption so CAS did both all three types of checks on my RCMP, Criminal reference and vulnerable persons screening and I asked for copies for my records so I could have a more 'recent' set done.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I just went into the police station and asked to apply for a record check for the vulnerable sector and I was given a form and I showed ID paid $15.00 and it was mailed to me about 8 weeks later. Everybody asks me for it but I thnk it's pretty useless. It seems tO give parents a peace of mind.

Euphoric !
    Really? I only had one family ever so far ask me if I had a police check. I asked them how they thought I had time to do anything illegal in my life while raising 4 children as a single Mom and asked them to look at my resume and find a quiet time there. Hehe, they didn't sign on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Ok, so I can go to the RCMP and get the vulnerable sectors check?

I want to add too that I also think they're ridiculous. I don't have a criminal record. I have never been arrested, but even if I had, say for shoplifting or doing something stupid when I was young like loitering or public drunkenness or something... does that outweigh the glowing references I have or the fact that I still have four kids in my care every day? Dunno...nobody here in Toronto asked for one, but seems everyone in the burbs need to see it. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I just went into the police station and asked to apply for a record check for the vulnerable sector and I was given a form and I showed ID paid $15.00 and it was mailed to me about 8 weeks later. Everybody asks me for it but I thnk it's pretty useless. It seems tO give parents a peace of mind.
    How long ago was this? I just called the police department and they said that an individual cannot apply for a vulnerable sector clearance check. The only ones who can do this are agencies or organizations. Individual persons cannot apply. I guess the clearance letter will have to do. If parents get nitpicky about this, I guess I don't really want them anyway do I? lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Most parents won't know the difference ass long as it says police clearance. For many parents they are asking for it because on all the new mommy chat groups and websites that list what to ask daycare providers it is on there.

Euphoric !
    It was about 18 months ago here in Ottawa .... And a criminal record check is different then a check for the vulnerable sector .... They are not looking to see if you stole a candy bar they are looking to see if you are Chester the molester..... They are looking to see if you have any offences where children are concerned. unless things have changed truly all I did was walk in and say I was a daycare provider and I needed a records check.

Crayola, how is a criminal record check different than a vulnerable sector check? They offer the same information. By the way, I completely understand that they don't care if I stole a chocolate bar, but why would a convicted child molester take the chance of opening a daycare anyway? Seriously, sometimes I don't know what parents are thinking. I maintain, if someone isn't satisfied with a clearance check from the police department, I don't want them in my care anyway.