Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Snack portions ?

I was wondering was a usual snack portion would be for school aged children...
    These are a list of my usual snacks served every week with some variation:
    1) crackers and cheese (about 4 big crackers, not ritz, and one of those pre-packed cheddar individual pieces) OR 8 - 10 smaller crackers with a kraft cheese slice.
    2) Granola bar (pack of 2)
    3) An apple and some strawberries or 1/2 banana
    4) Fruitsations fruit cup and some biscuits
    5) Fruit yoghurt
    6) Peanut butter and jam slice (special day)
    7) On birthdays we have cupcakes or cake

I'm in BC so my program just offers snack - parents bring lunch if the kids are here on a Pro-D Day or Spring/Summer break.

The reason I ask is one of my DCK asks for more snack (she's new) and it's hard for me to say 'that's it for today honey'...and she's so polite! But if I keep feeding her more snacks I have to serve all the kids more and I will run out in a week!

Am I serving too little?

Euphoric !
    I would be asking the child to check her lunch bag and make sure that she didn't leave some of her lunch foods that she could be eating. Also it might have a lot to do with how much mom is packing for lunch and you may need to speak to mom saying child is still hungry and suggest she have more to eat at lunch since you provide snack only.

When my kids got home from school they were hungry and generally I would provide something like a peanut butter and jam sandwich as in two slices of bread plus filler or a grilled cheese sandwich and a glass of milk. Two homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies or a muffin and milk. Fruit it great but not filling enough so needs to be part of the meal. But at the same time the snack is a tide me over to going home and supper so while kids are hungry they need to be reminded of that and told any more food will spoil their appetite for supper. Make sure they have plenty to drink as that will curb some of the hunger.

Starting to feel at home...
    When I did after school care I would offer about 2x the amount of food that you are. Another option is to leave out a bowl of cut up veggies or fruit for those who are still hungry after snack is finished. BTW my afterschoolers were mostly boys if that makes a difference.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post:

I do about the twice the amount of food you do as well for my school age kids. I have a 6yo, a 7yo and an 8yo. They usually have a yogurt and whole piece of fruit. Or a granola bar and piece of fruit. They do eat their lunches at school (my own 7yo will eat a sandwich, cheese & crackers, apple, carrot sticks, and a pudding a school) but they come home so hungry afterwards. They eat their snack and then dinner too...school takes a lot out of them, IMO!

My rule here is that if you eat your yogurt/granola bar/fruit cup/cheese&crackers then you get an apple. They can always have an apple. Inexpensive, wholesome, and if they are full at least they are full of apple. LOL.

ETA: My afterschoolers are two girls and a boy. I also do snack as 'family style'...if it's cut up fruit or cheese & crackers then it all gets put on a platter and the kids help themselves. Some eat more and some eat less.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    When I did after school care I would offer about 2x the amount of food that you are. Another option is to leave out a bowl of cut up veggies or fruit for those who are still hungry after snack is finished. BTW my afterschoolers were mostly boys if that makes a difference.
    this is a great idea!

Wow! I must really have a small appetite Thanks so much for all your input, I'm gonna start serving more today!!!

My son used to/sometimes still does, come home from school and was really hungry, only to see that he hadn't finished his lunch and sometimes snack too because he was too busy 'playing'! However, since I started making him finish what was left before he could have another snack when he got home, that rarely happens!

I too offer more for afternoon snack. Our schools lunch is at 10:40am, they do have an afternoon snack at school but 9x out of 10 they havent eaten it. When I ask why they say they dont have enough time and since school is out at 2:30, its a longer time til home time and dinner... and, I have 3 boys afterschool!

Shy
    I try to always have fruit be a portion of the snack and the fruit is unlimited. So today we are having yogurt and apples slices. They all get 1 serving of yogurt, and then the apple slices are served family style and I will replenish them until everyone has had there fill. For the granola bars I'd only give them 1 of the 2 in a pack and then they could have as many orange segments/grapes/etc as they wanted. Crackers and cheese is one of the snacks that I don't always serve a fruit with and I will say they always want more of this snack than anything else.