Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Retroactive reimbursement for sick days.

My husband was very ill for two days in April and I had to be closed to care for him and take him back and forth to the hospital.

I apologized to the parents and let them know that I would reimburse them for two days.

One of my parents has decided to remove the two days from the June cheque she is about to give me. The other two parents that gave me new cheques for May with the days removed.

I am not okay with her retroactively removing the day on the cheque of her choice. I feel that it would be the same as her boss telling her they forgot to remove two days from her pay and were going to retroactively on the cheque of their choice.

She has stated it is not in the contract which cheque a reimbursement would come from and I did not communicate it. She is not okay with having to absorb a $70.00 loss and that she had faith it would be settled on the following cheque. She didn't settle it on the following cheque though.

Thoughts on this please.

Euphoric !
    I'm a bit confused .... You closed two days in April and told the parents they wouldn't have to pay for it so two parents have already adjusted their cheques back in may but you still owe two days to this other parent? Why do you think she should not adjust her June cheque. If I closed for a sick day it says right in my policy book that it will be adjusted in the next payperiod. This parent has already waited over a month. Of course she should adjust her cheque for June. If she was short two days on her payment to you would you be ok to wait more then a month to get it? Probably not ! You owe it to her and I believe she is in the right.

Euphoric !
    I'm with Crayola on this...if I am understanding correctly, you owe her the two days, so why should she not take it off of her June cheque? I recently went through the same thing when I had to close for 3 days when my kids had Hand Foot and Mouth disease. As I have used all my paid personal days, I told parents they would not have to pay. All of my parents had already given me post-dated cheques (except one who pays by money transfer). I returned the June cheques so they could minus the three days, but one parent chose to minus it from July instead as she hadn't yet given me cheques for that month, so it saved her from having to rewrite the cheque. I had absoultely no problem with it as it actually spread out the income loss a bit. I am confused as to why you are not happy with this?

Expansive...
    I think maybe she's just unhappy that the client decided when she was going to deduct the 2 days, instead of her being the one to tell her which cheque to deduct from? To me, it's all the same, why not just let her deduct from that cheque as reimbursement? I'm easy going that way though.

Expansive...
    I am not seeing the problem either.
    You had to close and you said you would reimburse 2 days and so now she is collecting those 2 days back.
    She isn't doing anything wrong if I am understanding the situation.

are you upset because she didn't deduct it in May and you figured she was going to let you keep the 2 days and you are now disappointed to find out that she wants the $70 reimbursed after all?

Let me give you a real life example.

Today, my husband got into a care accident today (he is ok thank god, and my son was not in the car)

And I have asked the kids to stay home for the remainder of the week..... Coming back on Monday.....

I would just take the fees off. no questions. I wouldn't wait for them to do that for me.

I am sorry but I really don't understand what the beef is?

Starting to feel at home...
    Because I sent all the parents an email alerting them that they needed to deduct the money from the May cheques as the April ones had already been cashed.

She wants to be able to deduct the days of whatever month she wants to. Example: If I ended up with 10 days out of the whole year that I was not available for care, she wants to be able to deduct those days of whatever months she wants to, and possibly all ten days off the very last month in the year.

I have at least two months cheques in all parents files at all times. If it happens that I have to take a day off, I email the parents and ask them to provide me a new cheque in place of the old one. I also let them know that if they do not bring a cheque with the new amount, I will be cashing the one I have as I do not have another to cash. I expected parents to be able to provide a new cheque in a two week time frame for me to cash with the new amount. Am I expecting too much?

I strongly prefer her to deduct for the applicable month, not whenever she wants to.

Everyone is okay with parents banking reimbursement sick days and applying it to whatever month they want to?
    Last edited by clep; 05-30-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like miscommunication to me, as opposed to her trying to use those days however she sees fit.
    I am wondering; if she did not give you a new cheque in May, to account for those missing days, why this issue did not come up then. I know hindsight is always better, but I would likely have dealt with it right then.
    Was there confusion in that, when you did not get a new cheque, perhaps you thought that meant that she was fine with just forgetting about those days. (I am sorry, my question mark does not seem to be working, LoL)
    Honestly, I would let this slide. I know that you do not like that it seems as though SHE is dictating things, but this is money owed to her, and a month overdue. Perhaps just a gentle reminder that in the future, the adjustment will made to the NEXT months fees, not carried over. Play it to her advantage, in that you would hate for them to miss out on these banked days if they waited too long to use them.
    Hope that your hubby is better now.

Euphoric !
    Sorry, just REread your last post.... so you reminded them that if they did not give you new cheques, you were going to use the old one.
    I still would have talked about the issue with her then. Sometimes we need to treat these parents like we do their children.... spell it out to them in detail multiple times.

Euphoric !
    I still don't really see the problem ..... Perhaps she didn't want to replace cheque and just wanted to wait till she had to write up a new one .... Maybe she has to pay for her cheques ..... I do all my payments by EMT and they are every two weeks so if I had a day or two that I owed I would just remind each parent a few day before the payment not to forget to remove the day(s) and if the forgot again I would just remind them again and be secretly happy they forgot as then the financial hit would be spread out a bit. But my parents wouldn't forget !; )