Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Holding a spot during mat leave

hiya!

so, ive schedule a meeting with the family who just informed me that they are pregnant so we can over their plans. im just wondering what you guys do when they ask to hold a spot during mat leave. i mean, she'll be gone a year. how do you go about holding a spot?

Euphoric !
    Normally I don't and certainly only consider it if the first child stays full time during mat leave so I get 1 plus the income otherwise you are really holding two spaces if the older child isn't even covering the cost of their space.

I base decisions on how much I think the family my change their minds and/or I will have an opening within 3 months of them needing it. Otherwise sometimes it is better to just cut ties and replace.

A year is a long time and not uncommon for a caregiver to not agree to hold spaces. Mom also has plenty of time to find a new placement too so it works for everyone and you are not out money. And sometimes it just works out you have a space when they need them.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am assuming you are saying they want to remove their child that is currently in your care and have the newborn and the older child at home for the whole year of mat leave?

Is that correct?

apples and bananas
    I would try to post for a 1 year spot to fill that space. I have 2 doing it to me right now! One goes on mat leave in Sept and the other in November. UGH! I am charging them both a holding fee for their currently childs spot and offering them X amount of days care for that fee. (it's due regardless of the kids being here though) And I just happen to have 1 child going into school when baby 2 arrives and I was able to fill the second spot with a 3 yr old going into school next year for baby 2. My biggest problem now is that I've committed to 5 full time kids (2 under 2) in a year an a halfs time. The money will be good, but I'm not sure how my sanity will do.

You need to make sure you take care of your own business. If you can't do it then don't promise to, but make sure they know they are on the top of the list if anything changes.

Euphoric !
    Something that sometimes works is to fill the spaces with part time children with the understanding to the mom that the space is only there till other mom comes back fulltime. Many who are part time are grateful for whatever they can get since it is hard to find this kind of care.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by clep View Post
    I am assuming you are saying they want to remove their child that is currently in your care and have the newborn and the older child at home for the whole year of mat leave?

Is that correct?
    I'm not sure. I've scheduled a meeting to figure out what they want to do, I just want to be prepared. Last night, I remembered soemthing they'd asked me in the interview. Like a hypathetical question about getting ingured and having to take a few months off - how I would go about holding a spot. I just want to have an answer for them. I don't think I am going to hold the spot. I've had a lot of problems with this family so I think I will just cut ties when they leave.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't hold a space for a year. However, I have a family in care now and the oldest child goes to JK in Sept. Then they are paying $200/month as a holding fee until their baby starts with me in Jan before the Mom returns to work in Feb. This family is a wonderful client and longer than I would consider having a space remain empty for anybody else. I think you answered your own question in your last post when you said they have caused you problems, so it's better if you get a new family in the space.

If people want me to hold a spot I charge a fee. You charge per spot not per kid so even if you really like the family, you need the money. Take a fee for holding, tell them no or take on others until the time and then keep the good ones and give notice to others to open that spot up again.