Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OK so...help me choose

....so if I am not going to do crazy long days, would you:

A) Sign on a B/A 7 yo @ $100 per week but a 6:30 start?

OR

B) Sign on siblings who pay FT but are only there from noon onward @ $380 per week, but stay til 6 or 6:15 pm?

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    ....so if I am not going to do crazy long days, would you:

A) Sign on a B/A 7 yo @ $100 per week but a 6:30 start?

OR

B) Sign on siblings who pay FT but are only there from noon onward @ $380 per week, but stay til 6 or 6:15 pm?

Discuss.
    . Money talks. I'd say B)! Tough having them in care that late though.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Ugg - neither appeal to me to be honest and I would keep interviewing and hope for option c) full time clients who need care within reasonable hours
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    What time does the b and a leave in the evening? I would prefer to start earlier in the morning and have my evening for my own kids plus we eat dinner early so I have to feed the siblings dinner too which then cuts into the pay. Have you conducted all your interviews ? Are those the only choices ? Or are there more interviews to come... If you have more interviews then u wouldn't make a choice yet and wait to see what else there is too choose from. You don't want to pick the early one and find out everyone else wants late or visa versa. If your going strictly money wise then the sibs are the answer but I wouldn't want to work that late. Let's hope there are more choices

Euphoric !
    I agree with Reggio but I didnt want to say it so im glad she did ... Sorry Reggio ! Sending filler up vibes with normal hours your way

Outgoing
    I don`t like either option myself lol. I don`t take before and or after school kids as they eat up a spot and the pay sucks. I hate having to make all the other kids go on school runs (if you have to do those). If I had to chose, I would pick a family with an early morning start and be done earlier in the day. I honestly can`t tell you how much I resent having kids here until 6pm. Totally makes our nights so stressful and then I have to feed them dinner because we need to eat before my kids can get to soccer and baseball. I honestly will NEVER EVER EVER allow another family to be here after 5:30pm and even that is pushing it as I would prefer 5 but its not easy to fill up here closing at 5.

If you can afford to (and I know we couldn`t which is why I took on the families that I did at the beginning) I would wait it out. JMO

Starting to feel at home...
    Yup I agree with Reggio too. There is no substitute for sanity.

Euphoric !
    I'm with the how about neither scenerio too. First think about your own family in the new house. What time will hubby leave for work, arrive home from work. As in might as well work those hours. What time will your own kids leave for school/come home/ need to be a swimming lessons/soccer practice. Do whatever hours fit with what your own family is doing.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Ugg - neither appeal to me to be honest and I would keep interviewing and hope for option c) full time clients who need care within reasonable hours
    This is my answer too. My hours are 7:30am to 5pm. I have a space to fill and had a phone call a few days ago for a 7am start and I said no thanks. I may have turned down a sure thing, but I know my limitations and how I burn out the fastest and I'm not a morning person. Right now all my families are here between 8am and 4:15 and I LOVE THAT!

Expansive...
    None of us know her area and if it's been a tough go filling spots. The economy is tough right now and sometimes we need to bend a tiny bit in order to make some money.

My question is are you a morning person? Will getting up early affect your day? My last kids are 5:30 pick up but if you don't have any other place to be i.e baseball, ballet... wih your other kids really what is an extra 1/2 hour, you can clean while the kids watch treehouse or a favouate video.

Also will you have your 7 year old in the summer? what is your gut telling you? What child is a better fit? Also will the sibling be napping?

To all the above posters who hate late days and early starts "IT"S NOT ABOUT YOU"LOL