Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

One kid leaves and no salary for months

Hi everyone I'm a daycare provider in Ottawa. My issue I'm having a hard time with is when I get 2 weeks notice upon a child leaving and it takes roughly 3 months before I can fill this full time spot again. I'm really ticked off when I have to lose my salary because they can't give more notice. So I'm working on changing this. I'm adding another paper to my contract, to say I want 90 days no matter what. This is my salary and you darn well know early enough to be able to give more notice. I really feel shaffted from French daycare centers, they call and expect the parents to show up when they say jump. This is ticking me off! Then try and get 3 months "pay"out of them when they have to turn around and give the center big money to start. Well I say tough you know what! I'm expecting 3 months pay unless I can fill the spot earlier. Anyone else have thoughts?Frustrated!

Starting to feel at home...
    I hear you! Unfortunately, I think this is the situation when you do daycare for a living. I don't know anyone who would stick to a 3 month pay rule, tbh. I'm a daycare provider who previously had her children in daycare and I certainly wouldn't sign on with someone who expected 3 months notice or 3 months pay. Daycare just isn't always going to be stable income.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    I have a three week clause on mine but I hear you on the salary issues. Sounds like you are taking children that are really on a waiting list for a daycare centre which is something that really ticks daycare providers off when parents aren't honest in the interview. Just make sure you are asking for enough of a deposit to cover care at the end. You might have success asking for a one month deposit and 4 weeks of notice. That way if you only get two you will still get two more weeks of paid time. Pretty much you need to learn to budget on the income from three children and live within that amount. Then any extra children you get into care is a bonus. That way you aren't left with bills you can't pay. The issue with a daycare centre is that their own notice period is often two weeks. So as soon as they know they will have a space they call the next person on the wait list and that person has only a couple days to say yes or no to the space and is expected to start as soon as it is free which at this point is less than the two weeks away. So the parents end up paying for both spaces for the week at least. The real issue here is that you have dishonest parents that aren't admitting that they are looking for french daycare. You can try for an ammendment but doubt if you put in the three months that you will be able to get any family to sign on as things happen and three months notice just isnt' always possible.

I think 90 days is a LOT of notice. Have you thought of upping it to one months notice (4 weeks). It may be a good comprimise.

Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    I think 90 days is a LOT of notice. Have you thought of upping it to one months notice (4 weeks). It may be a good comprimise.
    I aggree, Four weeks, written notice is what I have in my contract. Good luck. Sticky situation you're in, I hope it works out for you!

Sorry you're dealing with this issue. I have not had a problem, and had parents tell me upfront that they have their children on waiting lists.

Why not as one of your questions ask the parents if they're on a waiting list? This way, you'll know if/when they leave, and can have a waiting list of your own for the time that they're 'supposed' to leave. And then, you will hopefully not have a problem of missing income for so long!

hi, ive had the problem twice in the past 5 months, two families have pulled kids out to go to daycares. I have a 1 month notice after the initial 2 weeks probation period is up at the beginning when they start. My parents realise they have to give 1 month as do i hope you figure this out, i do agree its not fair and that its so easy to open a dayhome nowadays that it does literally take months to fill good luck :0)

Starting to feel at home... Tot-Time's Avatar
    I really feel for you! I don't think 3 month termination period would be accepted by most families. Mine is 3 weeks. I find 3 weeks is reasonable and most often my space is filled quickly and the new child is starting when the old child is leaving. However, my most recent space took me 3 months to fill because it was over the holidays and during a period when not many families were looking for children. My daycare requires 3 1/2 children to cover its costs alone, then the other 1 1/2 children goes to my family, I can survive off of 4 children but it is really tight (daycar leases a van for field trips).

I would love to move towards a 4 week termination period but I feel if the relationship isn't working then 4 weeks is a long time to have to 'deal' with a family that isn't working out well.

I find most families are good at giving me advance notice when termination will be necessary, some families have provided up to 6 months, which is awesome.

The centre issue is happening here too! It hasn't happened to me yet, but some of my friends have lost kiddies to centres and it is the same way, they give the minimal termination requirements I agree the worst is not knowing the children were on the waiting lists and then them leaving quickly.
    ~*~ Nicole's Tot-Time Daycare ~*~
    www.nicolestot-time.com

This is an occupational hazard....a sucky one, but one nonetheless.

Something you need to be sure you are asking parents point blank in the interview is if they have ANY intention of going off to this French pre-school you speak of. If you sense ANY wiffle-waffle or red flag in that area do NOT accept them into care.

This does stink. I have a 1 month probation period where the parents or myself can cancel the contract because the child cannot fit in emotionally or socially, with 1 weeks notice. The parents do not get the months fees back.

Parents are required to give me 1 month's notice after the 1st month, with the notice on or before the 1st of the month and the cancellation starting the first of the following month. Make sure the parents sign your contract and you may want to include at the bottom above their signature--"I understand and agree to the above terms and conditions". You can also get tough and let them know that if they do not give you the 1 month's notice that you can legally take them to small claims court and they will be responsible for the months fees as well as any money that you have lost going to small claims court and the lost wages. Sometimes this just scares them enough.