Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast

jec

Breakfast

Morning ladies

I've got a new year old who has been with us for a month now. It's been quite the 4 weeks getting know know each other and what triggers him for upset. He doesn't just cry. When he cries it's the ugly scream and tears cry
    We've worked around his schedule to work in 2 naps and it's going much better as he needs his sleep still. Our day is now heading in the right direction with the past week being really positive and he is really becoming a part of our crew. Thankfully.

One issue- his ugly cry is when he arrives and I put him down and right before nap. So before nap I get, tired and wanting to sleep so if I can't distract him then I'll put him down early, no prob.
    The issue is I will give him Cherrios to help bridge the gap between arriving and breakfast. ( I believe that he loves coming as he smiles when he gets here and puts his arms out to come to me )The other kids are now covering their ears and my own two WONT come upstairs because they don't want to hear him and my husband this morning couldn't stay either because he wouldn't stop. Light switch when I pick him up though and put him back down.

I asked Mom when breakfast is normally before he arrived here and on weekends and it's around arrival time and then with my prep time which isn't that long but, when your a little hungry person can seem like forever.
    Do you think it's way out there to ask him to eat at home to see if that changes his behavior. Mom said they do give him a little before arriving but maybe that is jsut upsetting him because he is hungry and wanting more. The car trip keeps him occupied until arriving and then cries because hunger has set in again?
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by jec; 06-01-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Euphoric !
    Well if his breakfast time is before his arrival then it would make sense for mom to feed him at home before she brings him .... Then you can give him a few cheerios just to occupy him till nap ...you can't expect him to change his schedule... At 12 months old when he's Hungary he's hungary.

jec
    Correction- I just re read the email and it's 7:30-8 and he arrives at 8 or a little after. Opps, read the email wrong I'm still thinking though, maybe it would help. Mom says that they are feeling he is just not a morning person.

Euphoric !
    I only serve breakfast to children arriving prior to 7:30. Any child arriving after that time must be fed. I have put that in my policy book. So maybe suggest they fed him his regular breakfast before arrival and you'll give him his snack or an extra snack. See if that works.

jec
    I have different arrival times and I have no problem working around it but, seems this little one might need it at home. I had one family who told me they were feeding her at home as she needs her breakfast at wake up time. I offered the suggestion to Mom for next week so hopefully it's a go! Just to see if this is what triggers him

jec
    So I sent an email to Mom and she is on board. I love these parents, they seem so easy going and eager to work with me. I was just stressing as breakfast is part of our agreement and wasn't sure what they were going to think.
    Lets hope this works. Sometimes just talking it out on this forum helps to put things in persective!!

Euphoric !
    Even if breakfast is part of your agreement the parents should be giving the child a full bottle of milk before he arrives to stave off the empty tummy and reestabalish the sugar balance etc. It will go a long way to making him happier in the morning when he arrives.

Alternately he eats when he does arrive but his meal is strictly child fed - dry cereal, pieces of toast, and then WHEN you have time you give him fruit such as applesauce so you have some time with him and then he starts his morning nap or plays in a confined space while others eat and then goes for nap - ie doens't get to eat twice nor spend all of first part of the day in a highchair.

Think mom is just being lazy here. If child will eat cheerios for you when he first arrives then he is hungry enough at home to be given some food even the cereal there so it keeps him ok till breakfast at your house.

Starting to feel at home...
    Wow you are really nice. I insist that all of my children are fed before they arrive. It makes sense for any child that by the time they get up, get their teeth brushed, hair brushed and hands and face washed that they will be starving by the time they get to day home. I think they should always have breakfast before going to any caregiver. I couldn't imagine taking my child out of my house without breakfast.

jec
    Quote Originally Posted by clep View Post
    Wow you are really nice. I insist that all of my children are fed before they arrive. It makes sense for any child that by the time they get up, get their teeth brushed, hair brushed and hands and face washed that they will be starving by the time they get to day home. I think they should always have breakfast before going to any caregiver. I couldn't imagine taking my child out of my house without breakfast.
    I used to have both of mine in care. I used to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get them up, dressed and out of the house. I myself hated eating that early and would bring my breakfast to work to eat at my desk! I hated to eat that early so ...I think of it that way. Some kids can't and don't want to eat early when being woken up. However, in this case I think it might help if he did eat before he arrived! Hope it works!!

jec
    I should add that one of mine ate at any time food was put in front of her, my other, not so easy. She was and is like her Mom and needs time before eating in the morning. I'm thankful that my provider would allow her to eat there. I sent her breakfast, easy for the provider to make but still extra step for her so thankful that she allowed it.
    I always said and say that I run my daycare as though I would and have my own kids a part of.