Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Late. Again....

Starting to feel at home...

Late. Again....

Hello,

What is your 'limit' on late p/up's? I have a family who is at late for pick up or right on the dot at 6pm (my policy is dressed ready and out the door by the time I close...). When they pick up right at 6... or a few min before this turns into a 5-15min ordeal depending on the child's mood that day.

Last week when dad came in to p/up he can in two minutes late and then wanted to start chatting about toilet training techniques...?! Um... I am closed!!

This is something I have spoken to this family about (formally about 6-8weeks ago). I am ready to let them go because I feel that they just do not get it and will never change as paying the late fee does not seem to bother them...

I guess my question or concern is, do you think this will come as a shock to the family when I give them notice?? On Monday I will terminate to find alternate care as starting July I can no longer care for them due to consistent late p/ups?

For me this is sad because they have been with me for two years, but I have just had enough.... and it is about to be summer time, I want to go outside!!!!!!!! lol

Help

Euphoric !
    I would have the child dressed to go home 5 mins before scheduled pick up time and have them sitting on a chair at the door or the steps or what have you them when the parent walks in you can say "well all ready to go have a nice night". And if they are late say" oh your late xxxxxx has been dressed and ready to go for xxxx minutes please be on time"
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 06-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I aggree... when I had my child in care my caregiver used to do this. She also sent out a letter to all parents saying that the kids expect you at a certain time and when you're late it upsets them.

It's a whole different feeling for a parent when they arrive and the kids is ready to go and sitting in the front hall, or looking out the door.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the advice. About six months ago I started dressing all the kids about half an hour before pick up time to help ease the transition. This is not working for this family, I am done...

I guess I am just feeling sad because on Monday I will be giving them notice as they are being disrespectful of myself and my business... how many reminders does one family need?

Thanks for listening!

Euphoric !
    Maybe you could give them a written notice with a 2 two probation on Monday? But then it sounds like you have given them several verbal warnings. I agree that the last few children picked up at the end of the day are waiting near the door all dressed to go because I too expect parents to be on time.

You need time with your family. I'm counting my lucky stars after reading your closing time of 6pm because I get antsy when my last Dad of the day is here at 4:30 instead of 4:15!!! He's never right on time, but it doesn't cause me too much grief since it's earlier, but I would be upset if it was at 6pm. That makes for a VERY SHORT evening for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Is this the only family that stays till 6:00 as in are you going to change your hours to close sooner when you advertise. If so you could start out that way with a letter saying with the summer coming and your desire to spend more time with your own family enjoying it that you have decided to close the daycare at 5:30 and late fees will apply for every 10 minutes late. Then add that any pickup that goes beyond 6:00 pm will be grounds for immediate dismissal.

It would be interesting to know when they are put to the test if they can actually manage to hurry their little buns and get there in time. I know people that have done this and miraculously once the hours were changed they managed to pick up their kids on time.

You sort of have nothing to lose to try it in the sense that you were going to terminate anyways.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Hi Playfelt, everyone picks up around 5:20-5:40pm, it is not the time of 6 that I have a problem with. It is the constant lateness that bothers me, even after having spoken to them verbally and sent out group notices as reminders. I already know for a fact that dad can come early as he finishes work at 3:30pm each day (works in construction) and comes to my house last minute, just fresh out of the shower....

My feeling on this one is that there is no respect for myself or my business policies, which is very frustrating. I do enjoy the family, but on the other hand I could have the spot filled by the end of the weekend if I made a few phone calls. I think I just feel guilty is all because we have had a long relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by samantha3 View Post
    I already know for a fact that dad can come early as he finishes work at 3:30pm each day (works in construction) and comes to my house last minute, just fresh out of shower.
    Oh man that would tick me off too! I agree with the 3 warning system. Letter specifying that out of respect for your family time.... 3rd time late & they're out...no suprise on the 3rd time. Good luck!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by samantha3 View Post
    Hi Playfelt, everyone picks up around 5:20-5:40pm, it is not the time of 6 that I have a problem with. It is the constant lateness that bothers me, even after having spoken to them verbally and sent out group notices as reminders. I already know for a fact that dad can come early as he finishes work at 3:30pm each day (works in construction) and comes to my house last minute, just fresh out of the shower....
    My feeling on this one is that there is no respect for myself or my business policies, which is very frustrating. I do enjoy the family, but on the other hand I could have the spot filled by the end of the weekend if I made a few phone calls. I think I just feel guilty is all because we have had a long relationship.
    I hate the guilty feeling....especiall y when its with someone that has been with you for so long. But I guess we slowly learn to stick up for ourselves with time. Some people might take it as us being strict or bitchy, but their thinking would be way different if they had to be in our shoes. I think it will come as a surprise but just think of how good it will feel to have it running more smoothly the way you want. I would hate having the dad come freshly showered as well. I have a mom that does grocery shopping before picking up her kid. everyone picks up at 5/ 5:15/ and because she does this she ends up at 5:30....i hate it too.
    Last edited by Dayhome Mamma; 06-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayhome Mamma For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I probably would do a letter to them then saying that while you have enjoyed having the family in care that you are feeling like they don't value your personal time and that you have come to the difficult decision that you are feeling the need to replace the family with a family that will respect the contract and pickup as scheduled. Say the words to them too and give the letter - ie say it and then say I put it all here in writing so there would be no forgetting what was said.

In this way you are giving the chance to change. Verbally asking is one thing but drawing a line in the sand with the letter and saying absolutely last chance is another. They need to know that you are serious. As long as they have been close to time you have been annoyed but that was it. They will have no idea that you have reached the termination stage and in a sense you should let them know. Change or you are gone period but you have had them long enough and let them be late enough that they deserve to know. Then what they do with that knowledge will determine what you do with them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: