Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Only providing Before and After school care - maximum kids - no license???

So starting in September I am going to be offering before and after school care in my home which backs unto my daughters public school. I have had a huge response from the families in my neighbourhood since its a brand new school, full time JK is just rolling out next September and we're in a brand new neighbourhood, so I have a lot of questions.

I am reading up on the Day Nurseries Act and wondering about licensing. Most of the families I am getting only require me for after school, ranging from 15 mins afterschool to just about 2 hours. Do I still need to abide to a 5 kid maximum rule for non-licensed when dealing with part-time kids? I'm getting mos families that need a week here and then a week off (a lot of the families around here are shift workers) so it looks like my numbers will fluctuate a lot. One family just requires me 5 days a month but need me from after school till 9pm. I am not sure now how the ratio numbers pretain to me in regards to mostly all part-time care.

THanks, looking forward to being a active member of this community.

Euphoric !
    Well depending what province you are in will depend on how many you can have .... Here in Ontario you are allowed a maximum of 5 children not including your own under the age of ten. This includes licensed and private dayhomes, and you can not go over the 5 at any given time. What about PA days? Christmas holidays? March break? And summer? Good luck in your new adventure !
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 06-03-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Shy
    Thanks. I am in Ontario.

Euphoric !
    Hi MeMe, welcome to our site. I'm in Ontario and I know for certain that you can have 5 children under the age of 10 (not including your own children) in your home at one time. Whether they are before or after school or full time or part time care, you can only have 5 children at one time. It's very simple. If you are unlicenced the children can be any age without restrictions but if you register with some agencies they have restrictions on the under age 2 ages.

Yup - maximum 5 ... it is hard for home based providers to compete with licensed centers for this age group because they can have a much higher ratio!

However if demand is high enough you may be able to charge a premium fee for it to make up for the cap on income of the 5 kids?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi