Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jec
    I think Reggio is right as well. It's great to fill those spots but when both leave at the same time, it's leaving you with 2 spots to fill and a large chunk of money out of your pocket until you find the right families to fill them.
    I know it's tough to get those first clients but if you can hold out, I would.
    I personally don't offer a discount either for the same reasons that Reggio said.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Right now I give a sibling discount of 8$ off per day but I think that was a mistake because you need to make money and the sibling takes a spot.

Expansive...
    I did the sibling discount thing and I regret it all the way. Don't do it

Euphoric !
    I don't do a discount for siblings either, but I remember considering it in the beginning. I thought at the time that siblings would be better because when they go on vacation, 2 kids would be gone instead of one, when they leave for the day, 2 kids gone again, and (where I was really dillusional), I thought that if one was home sick, they would both stay home. Boy was I wrong! I have siblings (thank goodness I didn't offer a discount) who are always here...if one is sick, the other comes...if one has an appointment, the other is here, the parents take vacation days without the kids and they are the first to arrive and last to leave! The only time they are away is when I am closed for my vacation or occasionally they do take a family holiday and they are both gone. But definitely there is a risk that if they both leave the daycare, I have 2 spots to fill at once and I wouldn't really want to start 2 new kids at once.

I have 2 sets of siblings as both sets of parents started with one child, went on mat leave and came back with both kids. It is a greater financial liability so I add an additional clause in my contract. My notice period for people leaving is 2 weeks. For siblings it is increased to 4 weeks to give me more time to fill the spots. I still only ask for a 2 week deposit so as not to discourage parents from signing up if they have some financial restrictions doing so because obviously a 4 week deposit for 2 children would be the best part of $2k.

I do not offer a sibling discount as like most others have said, I have 5 spots and its actually much more beneficial for me to not take siblings on at all to reduce liability and 5 spots is 5 children regardless of whether they are related or not.

Outgoing
    I offered a sibling discount to my very first family who I still have and regret it. Everyone since them pays full price. By the time I pay for food and supplies, I am making little to nothing from this family. It almost makes me resent them and its not their fault I agreed to it which is why I wont again in the future.

Euphoric !
    akpayne, have you thought of giving the parents of the sibling family a letter stating that you have done some thinking and realized now that you have learned more about running your daycare that you must raise their rates? You don't have to raise them as much as the full fees (unfortunately) but you could think about raising them $5 or $10 a day, depending on what you decide to bring them more in range with your rates. We would be happy to help you with wording for a letter if you need us.

Outgoing
    thanks Momof4 I have been doing alot of thinking about it; im in the process of making some changes to my contract and think I will address this with them as well once I get all changes in place. Even a small increase like you mentioned will make the relationship alot more beneficial I think.

Starting to feel at home...
    What an awesome explanation - brilliantly simple (always good when explaining matters to parents) I too have wrestled with the temptation to accomodate the cheapies who are looking for a "family rate" My explanation to date has been that "I simply do not have the profit margins to offer reduced rates for siblings" but I like your answer better. I may use it in my upcoming interviews - thanks !