Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Water play/water gun type activity ideas?

Just wondering if you've found any neat ideas for squirting or spraying water ideas that little fingers can work easily? My age range is 18 months and up.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Expansive...
    What I did today was get one of my jumbo aluminum bowls filled with water and put my measuring spoon set in there. They can 'water the flowers' or dump it on themselves. I've also read about old water bottles with a hole cut in the lid?
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I bought spray water bottles in the gardening section at the dollar store. They are the kind that you hold with one hand and pull the nozzle back with the fingers of the other hand so not too hard for the little ones and they love spraying each other outside. I don't want to use guns just in case any parent gets upset about that. Last year I had the little watering cans but they were empty in no time at all and they really soaked each other with those.

Yup - we use the gardening squirt bottles as well - kids love them and even my 12 month old can figure out how to make them go.

They also love sand pails with water and paint brushes to either paint each other if we are in bathing suits or otherwise they paint the fence or shed but it keeps their 'hands' cool as they keep dipping in the water.

I am another that avoids anything with the replication of a gun/weapon for play as I do not want to inadvertently send the message of support for violence in my program and for me there is a difference between a garden bottle and a water 'gun' and it amazes me how young children know the difference as well ... IME the two different tools while they both serve the same purpose elicit a totally different tones and levels of aggression that arise in the play from the words used to the intent of the play changing from just fun getting wet 'watering' each other to games taking on the words of 'I am killing you' and the water being 'blood' and so forth as that tone of violence increases with kids and what they know of guns and their role playing - and i have seen kids as young as 18 months know that anything gun shaped kills people

For me it is just not something I want to expose them too specially when you do not know all your clients 'views' of guns/weapons for play
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Yup - we use the gardening squirt bottles as well - kids love them and even my 12 month old can figure out how to make them go.

They also love sand pails with water and paint brushes to either paint each other if we are in bathing suits or otherwise they paint the fence or shed but it keeps their 'hands' cool as they keep dipping in the water.

I am another that avoids anything with the replication of a gun/weapon for play as I do not want to inadvertently send the message of support for violence in my program and for me there is a difference between a garden bottle and a water 'gun' and it amazes me how young children know the difference as well ... IME the two different tools while they both serve the same purpose elicit a totally different tones and levels of aggression that arise in the play from the words used to the intent of the play changing from just fun getting wet 'watering' each other to games taking on the words of 'I am killing you' and the water being 'blood' and so forth as that tone of violence increases with kids and what they know of guns and their role playing - and i have seen kids as young as 18 months know that anything gun shaped kills people

For me it is just not something I want to expose them too specially when you do not know all your clients 'views' of guns/weapons for play
    Yes I borrowed your 'painting' idea last week...they LOVED it! And I too was hoping to avoid actual water guns. Will try the spray bottles! Another trip to the Dollar Store...Eeeek...I spend so much there!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    ...Another trip to the Dollar Store...Eeeek...I spend so much there!
    Yup I call it the $50 store cause I rarely walk out of there with less!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi