Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    So, I had my meeting with the other agency. I really liked what the lady had to say. My husband and I sat down and reviewed everything form both agency's and about going private. And after a lot of talking and many more phone calls/emails asking if I had any subsidy spots we decided that at this time the best thing would be going with an agency as well as doing private (if I can find any one).

My husband and I thank you all for your advice, but in the end we had to do what we fill is best for your family at this time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Valerie you have to do what is right for you ..... there are pros and cons to both models depending on the providers needs, location and so forth .... if your region has subsidy for clients to access without long waiting lists and your being with an agency will allow you to fill up with clients through them as a result and they will allow you to take on 'private' clients if they are not filling you up ~ than it cannot hurt to do both.

As I stated this is how I started out ~ it just did end up being a beneficial relationship for me or them cause I have always been able to find private clients due to the subsidy shortage in our area and well clients who are not eligible for subsidy do not want to pay the marked up rate of 'agency' care when they can get the same service privately

Congratulations on your new adventure ~ may your program be full before you know it!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

jec
    Good luck!!

I have called several of the other caregivers in my area and almost all have subsidy spots. Which leads me to believe this is a subsidy area. We plan on moving in a year or two, I am going to do lots of research to find an area where I can find lots of private clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie E. M-C View Post
    I have called several of the other caregivers in my area and almost all have subsidy spots. Which leads me to believe this is a subsidy area. We plan on moving in a year or two, I am going to do lots of research to find an area where I can find lots of private clients.
    Ok just to clarify ~ if you are calling other programs and the providers are saying they have SUBSIDY SPOTS does that not mean that they have OPENINGS in their programs because they cannot find clients to fill those subsidized spots cause that is how I would interpret that statement?

This is the issue here ~ there are lots of families who are 'eligible' for subsidy as per the criteria and are 'approved' for it but are on a 'waiting list' because there are just no new funds ~ they have to wait for someone currently ON subsidy to get off of it and free up $$ or for the government to choose to infuse NEW money into the system? I know there are lots of licensed centres and day homes with SPACE for those clients in my area because they work with agencies who do not allow you to take on 'private' clients.

Sadly in my city the system is CAPPED out with no new money to provide so those eligible clients are sitting on a 'waiting list' to actually GET subsidy and are either having to figure out how to pay FULL market fees in a licensed setting until it 'kicks in' or since they likely cannot AFFORD that which is why they are eligible for subsidy they are seeking a solution that is within their 'budget' such as a free family member helping out in a patchwork system or seeing a private home childcare program where the market value fees are much LESS than licensed care tends to be and than waiting for the call that there are now funds available to move them into a 'licensed' space.

I would definitely make sure I chose an agency that supports the provider taking on private clients so that you have control over being 'full or not' verse relying solely on them!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Reggio- sorry I wrote it wrong. When I called the other providers, I explained that I was starting up and was decided to go with an agency or not. from the answers I got, it sounds like the agency's are very helpful, although there are times when there are subsidy freezes, over all they are good at helping to fill you up.
    The agency I am trying to join does let me have private clients as well.

Hi BlueRose,

Did you end up going with agency or started the daycare on your own? I am in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Hi BlueRose,

Did you end up going with agency or started the daycare on your own? I am in a similar situation.
    Yes I ended up starting off being with 2 agencies. For about 2 years then went private.

I found that the agencies where very controlling. They say you are in charge, but you really are not. They didn't care if they families walked all over me and treated me like dirt, in fact when I complained I was told that if I didn't like it they would remove the child and not give me another. I would find clients on my own who wanted subsidy, they said they wanted to go with me then once they talked to the agency the agency would send them to another provider (with them longer). There where good things about being with an agency as well. I did get free arts and craft supplies, and workshops/first aid. I did get an advisor to talk to when I was having problems or unsure of something. I am glad that I got the experience of being with and agency and since I am not an ECE or have any real training in child care I don't think I would have made it through my first year without them. I have been private for a year now and I am doing well. I have more confidence and am loving owning my own business and working with kids.

I would interview with the agency's in your area (each one can operate differently from the others) and see if you feel one would work for you. With an agency, you can always leave. I had to give a two weeks notice. So if there is one you feel might work for you then you can always try it out.

Remember this is ONLY my experience with two agencies. I know others who have been with agencies for 20 plus years and love it and have had totally different experiences.

I might have had problems with them, but I am glad I had the chance to be with them when I started I wouldn't be still doing home daycare if I hadn't. They where a great learning experience.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post: