Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Agency: yes or no

I am just starting up my home daycare and was wondering if I should go with a agency or not.

These are the options I have come up with.

A) be private (no agency)

B) be with an agency only

c) be both private and with an agency

d) same as "c" but only for a year or two well I get started

I have already signed one family (privately) which is nice.

I do have an appointment next week with an agency (The Children's Village) to see what they offer

What do you all think about the agency's here in Ottawa, are they worth joining or should I just do it all on my own?

You have to write out a pros/cons list for yourself after you meet with the agency. Depends on what YOU want.

Personally, I would NEVER go with an agency, but maybe its because I have the experience from working in a variety of centers. I have seen what my nephews' one provider went through, and didn't want that for myself.

IF you go with an agency, you have to adhere to THEIR rules! I don't know how it would work if you went private and with an agency for numbers; but I'm going to assume that you will have to abide by the agency's numbers. So 1 under the age of 1, 2 under the age of 2, etc. Whereas if you go private, YOU decide on what age groups YOU want!

I found with agencies, is that usually (and I know it's not always the case) these are families that no one usually wants. They're the parents that don't listen, and the kids that are little shits.

Again, it's all up to you! Good luck!

Euphoric !
    The biggest advantage is that an agency can offer families subsidy. If you live in an area with a lot of families with low incomes that require subsidy then it might help to fill up since it gives you a bigger pool to draw from. Realize the agency will take some of the money so you will end up making less than with the private families. The agency also has their own rules and does monthly inspections which I found intrusive in the sense of they are surprise so you never knew when meaning any day could be disrupted.

A big con is age restrictions with an agency which you don't have if you are private. Depending on the ages of your own children or how many will be the deal breaker. Your own children count so if you have 2 of your own you can only take in 3 other children for care to equal 5. Privately your own don't count so you can have 5 daycare plus your own. Also with the agency the age restrictions will become an issue as the older kids move to full time JK but you can still only have 2 under 2, 3 under 3 or whatever the rule is.

In some areas fewer families are looking for subsidy so they don't see the benefits since the parents end up paying the agency more money then they would have to pay a provider directly. This means the agency has fewer children to place so the caregiver still ends up with spaces she needs to fill privately but now has to also live under the agency restrictions even though even when no agency children are placed.

I agree - you need to way the pros and cons depending on the area you live in.

I started out doing your option C) chose an agency that allowed you to have private clients as long as you adhered to the 'restrictions' on age groups on no more than 3 children under three and of those three no more than 2 could be under the age of 2 years and you had to count your OWN children under the age of 10 in your ratios which did not matter to me cause well I have no wee ones at home.

However I found that there was no 'benefit' to the agency for me as a provider - in my area there is a waitlist a mile long for 'subsidy' so even if a client qualifies for it does not mean they GET it - they have to pay normal fees until they move up the waiting list for a subsidized spot ... so I was able to find and maintain private clientelle and none of them were interested in 'agency' model because the fees are higher than what I charge privately cause no 'middle man' and none of them were eligible for subsidy anyway. And while the agency provided professional development and networking support as well as toy lending library I can access all those things through an Ontario Early Years Centre anyway and for a low membership fee.

I still follow all the same 'rules' for the most part as far as safety in the house, Canada food guide, first aid and CPR trained and so forth although I dropped the no more than 3 under three aspect of the ratio restrictions - I still do not care for more than 2 children under the age of two because I physically know that is my limit of wee ones however my other 3 are of whatever age mix works for me cause I find there is little difference between caring for 3 two and a half year olds or 3 kids who are 2.5, 3 and 4 ... the level of independence and learning needs is pretty much the same there until they hit 'school age' and get some more challenging attitudes

Good luck in your choice for sure ... great thing about this field is options - you can always start out with an agency and if you do not enjoy it or find it beneficial you can 'let the agency go' and remain a private home childcare will little to no transition
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I have decided to join an agency for the first year or two of my daycare and see how it goes. I really don't like having someone "watching over me", but it has been over 12 years since I have worked as a nanny and even though I have two kids of my own, I feel that the extra training would benefit both me and the kids. But I am also going to have private dck's as well.

Also must of the people calling/emailing are asking if I have subsidy spots. I have had an interview with one agency so far and have another lined up in August.

I was just wondering if anyone preferred one agency over another here in Ottawa? And why?

Euphoric !
    I think you have come up with a great plan. Since the first year is always really difficult you will have the agency behind you to get you established. Personally, I wouldn't want to go with any agency because that means I would not be self-employed, making my own rules and choosing who can stay and who must go if the rules aren't followed. Maybe the year with the agency will be exactly the transition time you need. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

All of you from Ontario are lucky that the age restrictions don't apply to you if you are private. Here in Saskatchewan it doesn't matter. Either way, you are supposed to follow their age/ratio regulations. I know a TON of providers who don't but you are supposed to.

I was with an Agency in Alberta. The agency was awesome and I loved the people that worked for the Agency. But there are drawbacks to being with an agency. We moved to Saskatchewan and am planning to re-open my dayhome here this fall (after my baby is born as I'm pregnant right now). I'm planning to go private.

The agency I am meeting with in August, said that they don't like opening daycare's in apartments, but after reading my application she just had to come and meet with me. I'm not sure what I said to impress her.

All I wrote was:

Hours/days of daycare:

7:30-5:30pm. Monday to Friday

Planning on starting home daycare:

October/November 2012, as I am currently on mat-leave.

What ages would I prefer:

1 year old to 5 years old. My youngest son is 7 months as of July 2012. Once he is older I would conceder a younger child.

My Qualifications: Education & Experience

I worked as a part-time nanny (evenings, nights, and weekends) for three years during college. I have babysat on and off since I was 13 years old (now in my mid 30's).
    I am a mother of two boys, 3 years and 7 months old.

What kind of activities do I plan for the children

- We do lots of fun educational crafts, and special projects for the Holiday's and special occasions.
    - We have circle time, where we read stories and sing songs.
    - We go on walks to one of the three parks close by. The children get to play freely.
    - We go to a splash pad near by.
    - We also take time on these walks to check out / talk about all the nature around us.
    - There is a big yard in the back, which we run around in. We play baseball, golf, ball, tag, etc.
    - We have special outings to the beach for picnics.
    - We have group play/activities as well as independent play/activities
    - We go to a free playgroup one to three days a week.

What I teach...

- ABC's
    - 1,2,3's
    - Colours
    - Shapes
    - How to share
    - To be respectful to others, animals, property and the
    environment.
    - Please and Thank You's, because politeness counts.
    - Using our words. Throw simple signing or verbally depending on age.
    - Using sentences (depending on age)
    - How to use an inside voice, a respectful outside voice (playing in the back yard, walking down the street), and a loud outside voice (at parks)
    - What to do if there is a fire.

Where would the children play?

Inside: in the living area
    outside: in the back court yard of my building, one of three parks near by, or at the beach (not in the water)

What kind of lunches and snacks would I serve?

I provide nutritional homemade snacks and lunches.
    example: fresh fruit, homemade Mac and Cheese etc.

How do I handle children's misbehaviour?
    Depending on the situation, a warning is usually given and the child is reminded of acceptable behaviour and re-directed to a different activity.
    Next step would be a timeout. This timeout is not a punishment, but rather a time that they may calm down, remember what behaviour is acceptable, and decide when they are ready to rejoin the group with the appropriate behaviour. Time outs last 1 minute for each year of age.
    If timeouts are not effective, some sort of consequence will be imposed. This may range from a favourite toy being taken away for a short period of time to being excluded from a favourite activity.

Basic description of my home:
    A two bedroom ground floor apartment. The apartment is across from a exit and has windows that we can get out of if needed. The apartment is SMOKE FREE at all times. The apartment is NOT peanut free. There is a cat, who gets his shots yearly. There is a nice court yard in the back with a wall around it. The court yard has picnic tables and there usually has a nice cool breeze.

What kind of toys/equipment do I have:
    I have lots of toys, ranging from 0 months to 4 years. Example: Toy kitchen and food, doll stroller, dolls, trains with wooden tracks, blocks, Mega blocks, trucks and cars, balls, golf set, etc.
    For equipment I have, a high chair, sleeping mats, kid size table and chairs, bumble set, single stroller, and a double stroller. I am also slowly picking up more items.

Where do the children sleep?
    The children will sleep on floor mats in the living area, or in a play pen in the master bed room.

Why do I want to be a caregiver?
    I have always loved children. I love watching them learn and play. I have always planned on starting a home daycare when I was done having my own children.

What qualities do I think I can offer to private home day care?
    - a happy, friendly, safe, and positive environment.
    - a chance to help child learn

Other information:
    I have a current police check. My husband will be getting his before October 2012.
    I will be getting a medical certificate from my Dr. in mid-August.
    I have three people (non-family) who are working on writing references for me.
    As I am in an apartment I only take on three children, besides my own two, at this time. When my children go to school, I will be willing to add more children within the 5/1 rule.
    My husband and I are planning on moving into a house sometime in either 2013 or 2014.
    I do plan on having private clients as well.
    I have never worked with a home daycare agency or have been associated with one, as I have never had a home daycare before.
    basically all I did was answer the questions they asked.
    I am glad that they like it enough to want to meet.

I'm glad they want to meet. I hope everything works out for you!

I forgot to mention before that even though I'm going private now, I am very thankful that I went with an Agency when I first started out. I now know a lot more about how to run a quality dayhome, what to expect in the business, what my policies and forms should look like, I learnt a lot about regulations and safety measures, I learnt a lot in the Early Childhood Education course I had to take, etc.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryMommy For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't go with an agency. Why give someone a cut of your pay? IME agencies promise to refer you clients to keep you full but that rarely happens. If your heart is really into daycare then you can be successful without an agency.