Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I could seriously CRY here...

I know there have been past posts on this, but I really just need to vent to my daycare girls:

have just received my THIRD email from potential clients in my new town claiming that they can get more affordable care elsewhere. The worst part is that every time I read one of these emails, it reads nastily, and I feel like they are accusing me of gouging them somehow. What am I asking for, except what any other type of worker wants - a reasonable wage and an occasional day off?

I have done my research, and I am charging middle of the road rates for REPUTABLE daycares. Problem is, I am starting to get the feeling that there are a lot of warehousers and kraft dinner slingers in my new area.

I just sent the following email - Unfortunately, with daycare, as with most things, you get what you pay for. Hot dogs and Kraft dinner are cheap and easy meals. Many of the cheaper home daycare providers will give inexpensive processed foods and snacks, and do very little with the children outside of making sure they are safe. I do more than this, and without wishing to sound arrogant, I feel that every child I care for deserves more than this as well. I run a quality program, and am very proud to be able to say that. In order to provide quality care as well as healthy, nutritious foods, I have to pay for it, making my overhead higher than those providers who charge $25 or $30 per day. I take the children on outings which often requires petrol for my van and sometimes admission charges, all of which I absorb into my daycare budget. I also provide craft supplies, baby wipes, playpens, safety certified car seats, BPA-free bibs and dishes, and everything else a child will need in the course of a day, outside of clothing and diapers. I have additional insurance on my vehicles and on my home and business as well, should anything (heaven forbid) ever happen. I do this for added parental peace of mind. I also provide full tax receipts, as I claim every cent that I earn from my home daycare. I don't think very many of the lower priced daycares do much, if any of these things. If I charged $30 per day, I'd go broke. When it comes to certain things, I think what's best is not always necessarily available for the best price.

I'm starting to get nervous. I am also starting to worry that I am going to get a bad reputation as the bitchy overpriced daycare lady.

I have five interviews lined up, but one is for summer care only, one is for before/after, and two are part timers. The other doesn't want to start until November.

I need hugs.

Cheer up Alphaghetti! I am just starting out and seriously considered lowering my rates as right now there aren't alot of people looking for daycare in my area however the one thing I've learned from this site is you get what you pay for! I saw an advertisement the other day for someone opening a daycare charging $25/day!!!!! (which is not even close to normal in my area - $35 to $40 is the norm around here) People that want really cheap care are probably the same people that are going to leave you high and dry in the end but make lots of crazy demands. I had an interview with a couple last week who never batted an eye at my rates which was great while i've had others try to cut deals - 3 for the price of 2 etc...very frustrating & while tempting as i'm just starting and desperate for clients, in the end they would probably be more of a headache then anything!
    The good ones will come along soon enough....and want the best care possible for their children!

Sending you a hug.
    I am sure that you will fill your spots with some great kids who have parents who care enough to pay for a good provider. Just give it some time (I know its easier said then done).

Outgoing
    Here is a big hug from me. Don't be upset. When I first started I did not get any calls or emails for a while. And I did get those emails too. If I felt like responding I just said "thank you for letting me know and good luck with your hunt" To be honest, I don't care what they think. This is my price and I'm not going to explain why I charge this or what cost what as it is none of their business. They will understand why I charge this much when I tell them what I do with the kids and what I feed them.

Hang in there. You are just new to the area and people don't know you yet. Keep advertising and hopefully, ideal clients will come soon

Good Luck(not that you need it )

apples and bananas
    Stick to your guns! You said it all in the email. You have an excellent program! To lower your rates you would be attracting the wrong client. The same client who is ok with kraft dinner and hot dogs in front of the tv is the same parent who can't hold a job, changes hours all the time, picks up late, drops off late, forgets the diapers when you run out and doesn't help with discipline.

You're better off without them! Wait for the good ones. You'll land one soon I'm sure.

Outgoing
    Its much harder out here Alpha, there are so many charging the $25 per day...at the end of the day the parents who just want a 'babysitter' will go with those lower priced places. Those who want a QUALITY daycare program will pay the average cost out here (which is 30-35/day). Its frustrating that so many parents make it all down to dollars and cents. They are the ones who will lose, not you. Hang in there and some good families will come your way.

I'm not too far from where you are moving so if you want to chat PM me

Starting to feel at home...
    HUGS!!!! So sorry things are starting off a bit shaky in your new neighborhood. I'm sure it's especially hard to deal with cheapskates in the burbs when you are already used to getting paid more in the city! Keep your head up....it just might take longer to find your perfect families but they are out there!

Euphoric !
    Big hugs from me too Alpha. They will find you - the perfect families who will appreciate you. It just takes a lot longer. First you have to kiss the frogs before you find the prince, yadda yadda. Keep your head up high and believe in yourself. Luck!

Thank you all. As an update, the woman who I sent the above email to replied that she understands everything I have said, and could we meet on X day at X time?

Alpha there is a lot of that in my daycare area too, and it makes me want to cry as well because like you I provide so much more then kd.

Like when I posted about the lady who got care for her 10 mo ft for $450.00/month, that made me so mad.... I cried too....

If I was in your area we'd go for a drink.

Chin up love.