Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Decision as providor; own child other Childcare?

I'm really torn. My son will be 3 this summer and so, will be starting school in the fall/Sept. 2013. I am debating whether to enroll him in a local daycare. The one I have in mind is a small center, with a 1:8 ratio for preschoolers and in such a setting would really set him up for school in terms of routine & socialization. He is already there in terms of school readiness in terms of knowledge but the fact that he's only been home with me (& the other daycare kids) or in church Sunday school has limited him socially. I keep thinking; being home with him & not having to pay out over 1/2 my salary on childcare was the primary reason I chose to stay home & open a home daycare; why on earth am I sending him out? Anyone else had to make this decision? If I send him only 2 to 3 days a week, am I totally messing him up (toddlers really do not like change)?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    Personally, I think its a great idea to send him. I did it with my own son who is now 6. I wanted him to interact with other adults who are the 'boss' and make sure he understood that he had to follow someone else's rules. He absolutely LOVED IT! He got to go to someone else's house and play with their toys. He loved the provider and she was fantastic to him. I think it was a great decision for my son. Yes, it was a pain to fork out the money when I was home, but for his socialization and just general skills it was well worth it. He totally loves school and is fantastic there with both the kids and adults. At home, not so much lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Yeah ...I also did this....but too it was because my son had trouble sharing his house..and he also didn't like the idea of structure as he was the king pin.(or so he thought) Hard choice but he loves it and the two days a week that he is home he is a great great help!!!

He also loves to show the others what he has learned at preschool...its great!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dodge__driver11 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I wrote a big post and it dissapeared so here's the short version .... Yes I did it for my first two and will do it again for my third starting in sept ... One morning a week for the fall and winter sessions and two mornings a week for the spring session and then he starts full day jk sept 2013. Never had a problem with disrupting schedules. Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

I also should add that my own child tends to be my most challenging on average...so, it would be a nice break....wow, did I just say that out loud

~Anonymous~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I currently send my 3 year old daughter twice a week to a daycare center down the street so she can play with kids her own age and to get away from me for a bit. Plus, I figure it will help her when she starts school next September.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    I also should add that my own child tends to be my most challenging on average...so, it would be a nice break....wow, did I just say that out loud
    haha mine too! If he had been a dck I would have terminated him LOL Our own kids always give us a run for our money.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to michellesmunchkins For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    You could also consider sending him to a nursery school That's what I'm going to be doing with mine this fall. 2 mornings a week. They get them ready for school and it will be good for her to not be with me all the time.

Outgoing
    I first thought what is the point in having a day home if you send your child to someone elses house? But I can see your points even though I'm not a mother yet.
    May be you can find another dck to replace your child. By doing this you are not really forking any money. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    I first thought what is the point in having a day home if you send your child to someone elses house? But I can see your points even though I'm not a mother yet.
    May be you can find another dck to replace your child. By doing this you are not really forking any money. Hope it helps
    Yes, I'm struggling with that exactly; why spend the money when I'm home? I wish I could replace him with another dck; but I'll already be at my max allowed of 5 (mine doesn't count in the numbers). The center does allow 2 days a week; so I'm going to check it out more. Next year he will be the oldest here; it'll do him good. Think I've convinced myself...thanks ladies!!!!!

~Anonymous~