Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I also have been sending my 3 year old son (well now he's 4) to preschool over this past year. He goes 5 mornings a week and he loves it! However, I am really really lucky as he got into a program in the school to prepare the kids for JK next year and it is free! So I got the best of both worlds. But, before I found out about this program, I had enrolled him in 2 mornings a week nursery school just for him to be with kids his age and get ready for school etc. And yes, he is the most challenging for me too, so I am not ashamed to admit that it is a really nice break. You will really notice the difference when he is not there! Mine starts school this September, so I am looking forward to full day school and no middle of the day pick-ups!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a 3 year old son who I'm looking into placing at another dayhome or preschool as well for 2-3 days a week in september and I totally understand what you're feeling. I keep on jumping from thoughts of "its so good for him and his development to experience someone, some place, and something different" which I truly do believe it is, but then i think oh my gosh, soon he's going to be in kindergarten and be gone half the day, and then its grade one and he's going to be gone altogether! So shouldn't I use this time to cherish each moment? And my thought then is, that yes, we should do both. And by going somewhere else to explore and learn, it is greatly benefiting him and at the same time makes me miss him so it makes our time more cherished and not taken for granted as much and it is still nice to get a break. He started out by doing a once a week 2hr class called "time for two's" which was unparented and he did two sessions of them starting this January(10 weeks each) and totally loved it! He asks to go to school sometimes over the weekend and every time he comes back from it he is so happy and excited and exhausted so I know its doing him good. When I see and hear this, I have no doubt that he is ready and should be in preschool or some sort of more guided class because it makes him happy and it definitely adds to his confidence and independence in being able to handle things on his own....such a valuable life skill that will keep on giving as he grows. So I say yes, put him in somehwere and definitely don't feel guilty about it. try to view it as more positive thing because it truly only does more good than bad.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have been considering this for quite some time as well. My son just turned three and tends to be the most challenging one as well. Although he is a very good kid it is always different with the parents, and it's hard for him to have to share his house, his mom, his toys and his baby sister with everyone else. I have decided to enroll him in gymnastics to see how he will do with a different group of kids with a different person to listen too in a different environment.... without me. I think this will strongly influence my decision! Like everyone else I don't want the transition to school to be harder than it already is (for him and me ) and want him to know more than just being home with mommy... but I am having a very hard time thinking about getting him to go somewhere else .
    Just wondering if anyone would care to share how the daycare parents react to having your own children cared for elsewhere.

Euphoric !
    Many daycare parents also put their child into a group program a couple days a week the year before school too to get them used to the larger group atmosphere so I don't think most would question it.

Outgoing
    I am also contemplating sending my own son this september for a part time enrollment. The only issue is arranging getting him there and still being home in time to take in the daycare kids. I currently open at 7am, but the preschool doesnt open until 7:30am. My husband is military so I cant always rely on him being home to pick him up and drop him off.
    my son is26 months old, went thru a really tough stage of being the 'worst' one, but is sometimes easing into it now I think.
    I just want him to have a different authority figure besides me and maybe it coudl prepare him for a classroom setting, being a 'preschool' and not another home daycare where the ages and stages of the children all vary.

Euphoric !
    I know this isn't the most popular theory, since preschool is sort of the "in" thing to do now, but there are soooooo many years of school ahead, that I don't see why the rush these days? Especially for you folks in Ontario, when school starts at what, 4??? That's 14 YEARS of school (15 if you guys still do the whole "Grade 13" thing), let alone college or university. I have a 4 year old daughter, turning 5 this summer and she will be starting kindergarten in the fall, without having gone to preschool.
    Having said that, my two older boys DID go. One for ages 3 and 4, the other just when he was 4. They had fun, made some friends, and it's possible that they "learned" more than if they had been home with me.
    I admit too, that part of the reason that I didn't send my daughter this year is cost. The preschools around here have taken advantage of the fact that demand is high, and it's now hundreds of dollars a month for less than 8 hours a week of "class". Sickening.
    Basically, I am saying that while I don't think it's NECESSARY; if you think your child would enjoy it and have fun, and it works for you- Go for it. But if it's going to put you in a bad financial position, or make for a lot of juggling of schedules and kids.... meh. It does sound like you get a fair amount of the socializing, with daycare kids and church and so on. I have seen kids go to kindergarten with NObody other than mom or dad having been around them. Those are the kids that have issues!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Not knocking anyone but..............the re is no way, knowing now what I do about daycare that I could ever put my kid in someone else's paid care. No way, no how.

Starting to feel at home... Toregone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    I also should add that my own child tends to be my most challenging on average...so, it would be a nice break....wow, did I just say that out loud
    wow... It's nice to hear someone else say this. I honestly thought it was just my kiddo. He's awesome for other caregivers but at home somedays he pushes all my buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Toregone View Post
    wow... It's nice to hear someone else say this. I honestly thought it was just my kiddo. He's awesome for other caregivers but at home somedays he pushes all my buttons.
    Ladies I know dozens and dozens of providers who would share the same thing - thier own children were the most challenging ... children behave differently for thier own parents for various reasons from comfort to "try" strategies they would not try with someone else - most of which are they know you love then unconditionally and so they can
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi