Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding

I breastfed all three of mine. First one only got 8 months, and I still feel badly about that. I didn't know any better. My second was 18 months and my last was 26 months. I breastfed because it's the perfect food for babies, and I wished the very best. It was never a question. Besides, it's free, always the perfect temperature, and I could do it without getting out of bed multiple times a night.

Just as an FYI, children don't self wean before 2 years of age. This is a "nursing strike", or they are just preoccupied as developmentally they are so active. If you still wish to continue a nursing relationship, stick with it and they'll come around.

jec
    I breastfed mine as well ~ I felt it was the best for our kids and I was able to { I could have fed a country with the amount of milk I produced!!}
    I agree with Alphaghetti- it's perfect temp, free and I never had to get up to do bottles in the middle of the night!!
    Both of mine were until 1 year and then I pumped when I went back to work for the second as she had some health issues that I felt it would help. Our first I only did for 7 months ( pumped and put in bottles to get her 'ready' for daycare is what I was told I should have done )as I was the only one in my group of Mom's breast feeding and didn't have the support and should have stuck to my guns about my choice.

Euphoric !
    I breastfed all of my children up to 9 months of age and it wasn't easy to keep going that long. Back in my day we only had 16 weeks of maternity leave before we had to hand our tiny 3-4 month old babies to strangers who called themselves babysitters. It is so much better today. A one year mat leave is amazing for the mothers and for the babies.

Starting to feel at home...
    Playfelt-is 1 year no longer the time to switch to homo? Thats what it was when my 1st and 2nd born.... things change fast!!

I bf #1 until about 9months when I got preg with #2 and my supply went way down. I bf #2 until about 10m and stopped b/c I was going back to school

#3 is 4 m now and I'm not sure how long I will go, hopefully at least until 9 or 10m, a year if I can.

I bf because its free!! Its good for baby and me! Its easier, dont have to worry if I have a bottle with me and after getting past the first few weeks, I enjoy it.

Euphoric !
    Depends where you live, what website or doctor you listen to. Most say at least a year and then to stay on it till age 2 before switching to 2%. Thanks to the pressure from the formula companies that come through with research money for doctors in exchange for pushing products it is hard to tell what is developmentally correct. Now in the US there is a push to only serve 1% to combat obesity.

Basically it comes down to you can probably do whatever you want and there will be some support somewhere.

I always based the switch on the child and how well they were eating. Poor eaters had milk at meals but formula morning and night for the extra nutrients.

I only serve 2% so if parents regardless of child's age want formula or homo they must supply it and I serve it as long as they supply it so the switch over is up to the parent and doctor.

I breastfed my first till she was 12 months and only stopped because I was pregnant and my milk supply had greatly diminished, so she went straight to homo milk. I'm currently breastfeeding my second (he's 5.5 months) and don't plan to stop till he self weans. I chose to breastfeed because it's the best for baby and I have loved every minute of it! There's something so special about looking in your baby's eyes while they are nursing and they take a second to smile at you. Melts my heart everytime!

Marie-isnt that the best? My 4m old has started doing that, he'll suddenly stop drinking look up at me and give me the biggest, bestest, milky smile and then go back to the task at hand! I love it!

Euphoric !
    Oh, I remember that too, the little smiles and happy gurgles. As I already mentioned I had to return to work when my babies were really small, but I found breastfeeding in the night was easy, grab the baby and have some bonding time while they nursed then back to sleep for both of us.

I have a client who just had a baby and told me she isn't bfing because it's just too much trouble. Huh? I really, really had to bite my tongue!

Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I have a client who just had a baby and told me she isn't bfing because it's just too much trouble. Huh? I really, really had to bite my tongue!
    Well done. I may have drawn blood from biting my tongue that hard. I totally would have said something like, "omg really?? See, to me it's SO much easier. No bottles to make, no formula to run out of, no heating...in fact I just kept the baby right in bed with me, so I didn't even lose sleep with mine!" You never know, some things we say may appeal to those who would otherwise not know.

I would never purposely make someone feel badly for not breastfeeding because you never know a person's history, but (I know I may catch flack for saying so) when women flat out choose not to breastfeed, I DO judge. In my opinion, that's just selfish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Alpha, you're just getting to know me, but yeah I have a big mouth and I did almost draw blood biting my tongue. But exactly what you said was what crossed my mind and made me shut up. Maybe there is a solid reason because I know this woman is a terrific mother and this is her second baby, but everyone knows that breastfeeding is the best.

I had one client who was a university student and her semester started when her baby was 4 months old so she pumped and brought frozen breastmilk for me to thaw and feed her baby. It was a super pain in my butt, but I did it because I believe it was the very best for the little one.