I would say that the reason bottle feeding may be looked at as a bad thing, is because for the most part, any obstacle a woman faces during breastfeeding can be helped in one way or another. And yes, people do quit over selfish reasons (like inconveniences, don't like it etc.). There is no denying that.

Breastfeeding will always be the first choice by a lot of people. It's in our biology to produce milk and feed our babies, and it's nutrients cannot be matched by formula. So I do not blame people for encouraging and promoting it.

No one can force women to breast feed, or stop breast feeding. It is ENTIRELY up to the mother, and so it is in fact Her choice and she must Own her decision. Just like any important decision in life. It's safe to say that all women go through challenges with breastfeeding at least with the first child. I did that's for sure.

One thing I do agree with is...if the mother is becoming resentful or even abusive towards the child because of the stress of breastfeeding, she should definitely seek alternatives.