Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    As a parent, when my kids where going to daycare, I expected to only know if they had a good day, if they had fun. . What they ate or how much is irrelevant to meA little bit of what they did is nice to know because you can talk about it. Kids see the link between parents and daycare, they see that we are aware of what they do, and they feel that their parents are really interested even if they are not around them.

I do appreciate the feedback about my kids behaviour. But if I feel the caregiver is exagerating, I will told her right away. One of my kids was attending a goverment daycare, and the provider would tell me that he was not unhappy, not crying, but not participating at all. He was just sitting there the whole day, waiting for us to come back. We tried many thing to get him involved, but nothing worked. So she told me that she tought he would be better in a home daycare (which at that point I was against!!!).

Anyway, it worked. So I really appreciated the honesty of her observation.

It is important to know these things. Communication between parents and providers is crucial.

Sarah

Expansive...
    I completley agree with you in regards to communication!

On food to me it is also equally important to know what my child ate as a healthy balanced diet is the foundation for there health for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    As a parent, when my kids where going to daycare, I expected to only know if they had a good day, if they had fun. . What they ate or how much is irrelevant to meA little bit of what they did is nice to know because you can talk about it. Kids see the link between parents and daycare, they see that we are aware of what they do, and they feel that their parents are really interested even if they are not around them.

I do appreciate the feedback about my kids behaviour. But if I feel the caregiver is exagerating, I will told her right away. One of my kids was attending a goverment daycare, and the provider would tell me that he was not unhappy, not crying, but not participating at all. He was just sitting there the whole day, waiting for us to come back. We tried many thing to get him involved, but nothing worked. So she told me that she tought he would be better in a home daycare (which at that point I was against!!!).

Anyway, it worked. So I really appreciated the honesty of her observation.

It is important to know these things. Communication between parents and providers is crucial.

Sarah

Euphoric !
    My parents are ok with no written journals and tell me they "trust" me to do my job and in a sense that is what it comes down to to a certain extent. Besides I can write anything whether that is what happened or not. I also found I was writing the same thing napped 9-10, Bm normal, ate well...... at that point it becomes a waste of time and paper.

I do know some caregivers that compose an email during naptime and send it out to parents detailing what the day has been like, activities, meal, etc. and then a small note per family on their particular child.

When I said what they ate us irrelevant I meant that knowing what they ate and how much on a daily basis. -t is when you look for a daycare that you must inquire about their eating habits.

I wants my kids to eat healthy but do not need to know what they eat every day. But love if provider shares with me about their favorite receipe

Shy
    My daughter has been going to a small family daycare for two years. The daycare provider has not made it a habit to tell me about what my daughter ate, how long she napped, or if she had a BM. I finally asked the daycare provider to tell me these things, because I can't always remember to ask and I'm not always the one to pick my daughter up. I've given my daycare provider a half-page sheet to fill in every day with this info and she's happy to do this (and I'm happy if she just tells me, too). Now, I can confidently provide my daughter with food that complements what she ate at daycare. I now know if she'll be tired at 7:00 pm or closer to 8:00 pm. And I now know what to expect in the BM department. It makes my evenings with my daughter more predictable, much easier to plan and more enjoyable, which lowers the stress levels for everyone. I wish all daycare providers volunteered this basic information. It shows respect and consideration for the parents.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorthVanMom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    As a provider, I provide a nightly email that goes to all parents, 1 email that tells a bit about our day. I try to include things each of the kids did or said or new skills learned etc. I already provide a menu for the week, so the parents know what the kids are eating. I only let them know if the child didn't eat or appetite seemed abnormal for the child. The parents I have are all really appreciative to have this window into thier childrens' days as none of them can talk much. I don't record about BM's or naps, but I do let parents know verbally or in a separate, private email if there was anything abnormal or any discipline issues. I think it's nice to have a group email because the parents get to know a bit about the other kids as well (nothing private) and I know they all look forward to reading the emails. I do it in the evening and it takes about 5 minutes.

Outgoing
    I provide a daily sheet to all families about our day. On the sheet it has everything pretty much there and I circle things we did. In the food section I write down what we ate and how much and on the bottom part I write how long the child slept for and if they want to know about BM I will write it there too. With my sheets it only takes a minute to fill out because it's all there and I just have to circle things. It works for me and the parents love it.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

I have my weekly menu, along with circle time books and songs posted on my website.

I text two of my moms at nap time and tell them how well they ate, whether they had a good morning, and if they had a BM. Otherwise, I tell them about food and BM at pickup.

Why on earth would parents want to know their child's everyday BM???

Please help me understand! I mean if their child is sick, I understand, but why would you need or even want to know about BM for a healthy kid. Please enlighten me

Expansive...
    It is so important to know this! Maybe not a big deal for an older child but for an infant they can get constipated very easily due to diet, i.e. formula or food too high in iron. Also if there BM is too acidic it could mean a tooth coming in, or runny in general could mean a viral infection or reaction to food.

Even color has a lot to do with overall health.

If a daycare provider has a child for a few days and they don’t have a B.M and the same goes for the parent how are you to know that they are backed up?

It also helps the parent know if they are to expect one that evening. My little one had this in daycare and her reports said she didn’t go for 2 days that night I FED HER PRUNES and she had instant relief.

I’m just a bit shocked that you had to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Why on earth would parents want to know their child's everyday BM???

Please help me understand! I mean if their child is sick, I understand, but why would you need or even want to know about BM for a healthy kid. Please enlighten me