Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    As a provider, I certainly do not discuss poop on a daily basis with mom and dad. I'm sort of with Sarah, as a parent, too. If there is something out of the ordinary (more or less than usual, child seemed to have difficulty having the BM, etc), then yes I would want to know. Otherwise, not really something I need the little details on. I will tell parents if something seems up, but we don't really talk about it regularly.
    When it comes to whether or not to expect a stink-o diaper... if they go, they go.

Expansive...
    I think there is confusion to this question. I don't write details on my daily reports on the size, colour and texture? I just right if they go or don't go? Her question was more on the importance of knowing. As a parent it's important! Someone help me out here!

Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    As a provider, I certainly do not discuss poop on a daily basis with mom and dad. I'm sort of with Sarah, as a parent, too. If there is something out of the ordinary (more or less than usual, child seemed to have difficulty having the BM, etc), then yes I would want to know. Otherwise, not really something I need the little details on. I will tell parents if something seems up, but we don't really talk about it regularly.
    When it comes to whether or not to expect a stink-o diaper... if they go, they go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Daily emails work better

Quote Originally Posted by Nifer View Post
    As a provider I would like to know when these journals are being filled out? Because we are busy playing and learning in the morning as well as have snack and lunch, then during nap time I clean up after the kids lunch, have my own lunch, rest, prepare afternoon snack as well as some of my family's dinner. After nap, we have snack play some more and kids go home.
    When am I going to fill out 4-5 journals-let alone remember (exactly) what each child did?
    I usually do a report daily (whenever possible) as an email. That way I can copy the same summary for each child and add individual comments on each child if needed. I am an extremely fast typer so It really only takes a few moments at various times throughout the day. I used to write in a journal and THAT was way too time consuming!! I leave the email open on my computer and come back to it to report what things I think the parent would want to know ..if the child is new, I put in a lot of detail ..and if there are any issues, i jot them down so I can troubleshoot, keep the parent informed and ensure we are on the same page..and then I also have a log to review. It also covers your butt if journalling..cuz then you have a record of your day..lets face it , days are long, things get forgotten if not written down..and days can run into the next day...so its nice for both parent and me!! Hope that helps

I am asked by every parent whether their kid had a poop - every day. I would also ask a provider if my baby or toddler was away from me all day. Output is just as important as input.

Shy
    I only have 2 sets of parents and I spend a few minutes at pick up time discussing the day. This is sometimes my only adult conversation during the day so I quite enjoy chatting! I'll happily discuss food, poop etc., but I think the parents just want to be re-assured that their children are well taken care of and had a great day!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    It is so important to know this! Maybe not a big deal for an older child but for an infant they can get constipated very easily due to diet, i.e. formula or food too high in iron. Also if there BM is too acidic it could mean a tooth coming in, or runny in general could mean a viral infection or reaction to food.

Even color has a lot to do with overall health.

If a daycare provider has a child for a few days and they don’t have a B.M and the same goes for the parent how are you to know that they are backed up?

It also helps the parent know if they are to expect one that evening. My little one had this in daycare and her reports said she didn’t go for 2 days that night I FED HER PRUNES and she had instant relief.

I’m just a bit shocked that you had to ask!
    I like your explanation, but I am not like you! As a provider, if parents ask, I will tell them of course, but as a parent, I never asked. And never thought it was usefull.

By the way, maybe it was not too clear, but my asking was a bit ironic. I know why parents ask, but I don't understand why they would feel the need to ask.

I would expect the provider to let me know if she notices a different texture or color in the BM, or an absence of BM for a longer period than usual, as well as I would let her know as a parent. This way, together we can avoid problems. But letting me know everyday that there was a BM, what do I care?

And why would I want to know that there will be a BM at home? I have diapers, wipes, a nose to smell it when it comes, and if I go out, I will bring everything with me! Wow, that is planning too much to need to know if there might be a BM!

Anyway, it's just my opinion! I don't really mind if people need to know, I just don't get that they need to know THAT much!

To me, it's making natural body work, unnatural!

I have had an experience in the past where I had to write a journal for each child and found it very detached and uncomfortable. For some children I was always writing the same thing (ate well, pooped around 9, etc) and for others I couldn't find the words or didn't want something to come across wrong. I no longer send home a written report with the kids, but am more than willing (and do) discuss with parents any questions or concerns that they have. If they have found that the child has been constipated at home, they might ask about if they pooped while with me. Other parents have no concern as their child might go 2-3 times a day. I would hate to think that a parent is so busy that they can't talk to me for a minute or 2 about whatever parts of the day they want to know. Communication is important, and it goes both ways, but communication only exists if the right questions are being asked. I ask the parents what I want to know, they ask me what they want to know. No wasted time or effort, and we are all happy.

Expansive...
    Not sure what you mean by natural body work, unnatural?

At the end of the day most of my daycare kids get picked up at the same time so I don't have time to disscuss things with parents in great detail.

Anyway it's important!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    I like your explanation, but I am not like you! As a provider, if parents ask, I will tell them of course, but as a parent, I never asked. And never thought it was usefull.

By the way, maybe it was not too clear, but my asking was a bit ironic. I know why parents ask, but I don't understand why they would feel the need to ask.

I would expect the provider to let me know if she notices a different texture or color in the BM, or an absence of BM for a longer period than usual, as well as I would let her know as a parent. This way, together we can avoid problems. But letting me know everyday that there was a BM, what do I care?

And why would I want to know that there will be a BM at home? I have diapers, wipes, a nose to smell it when it comes, and if I go out, I will bring everything with me! Wow, that is planning too much to need to know if there might be a BM!

Anyway, it's just my opinion! I don't really mind if people need to know, I just don't get that they need to know THAT much!

To me, it's making natural body work, unnatural!

Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Not sure what you mean by natural body work, unnatural?

Anyway it's important!
    Sorry, english is not really my first language so sometimes it's hard to say exactly what I mean.

So what I meant was that a BM is a natural thing, that parents don't need to know about, unless there is a problem with it. I agree with the impotancee of the BM, but only when there is an actual problem. Just requiring this information as part as a daily recap is giving it a "medical" importance. Do you analyze your own BM every time you go? I don't think so!!! You will analyze only if something feels wrong about it.

Anyway, hope I am clear!

Outgoing
    Wow this is a lot of BM talk!!
    Personaly I dont do written journals or anything. Most of the kids I have poop at least once a day, but I wouldnt necessarily mention it unless they had not for a couple days in my care. (kids change and they could be pooping at home...)
    If I notice a change (diarrhea more than once per day with no fever) then I will mention it. But otherwise, they dont ask, and I dont ask about their BM at home.
    At pick up I will mention what we ate that day and how their naps went.
    My daycare is pretty structured so everyone always naps from 12-2:30 give or take 20 mins. So it is still a little repetitive after a while.
    I think that this is not hard to do, to take out 1 minute while the shoes are going on to say this. It doesnt take much.
    I know that if I did notes or whatever, then it would all mostly be the same deal day in, day out.
    If I do happen to forget to tell parents something, like he got a boo boo on his knee today or something, then I can always text Mom to pass it on, but this is nothing that cant wait till the next day.
    Anyways, just my thoughts on the idea.
    May work for some, but not me personally. I am fine with the information flow that I have now with Moms and Dads, and I have not heard anything differently as of lately.