Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Am I missing something, or is this normal?

I'm hoping that I could get some insight to the problem I'm having with drumming up business for my new home daycare. I have put up flyers advertising for my home daycare business in our area schools, on mailboxes, and in our grocery store. It has been about two weeks now, and although I've noticed some phone numbers taken from the tear away section on the flyer, I have still not received any calls from anyone. I understand that summer is coming and perhaps people aren't thinking about daycare right now, but shouldn't have someone called by now?

Can anyone tell me whether this delay in people calling is expected? How long does it take for people to start calling?
    Any insight would be appreciated.

Euphoric !
    It is quite normal for that to happen. Some will have been taken by other caregivers to keep on file just in case they want to contact other caregivers. Some will have been taken by pregnant moms who won't need care for months to a year and will file it away and keep it till they are ready to look. Some will have been torn by teens just being annoying.

Consider putting up some ads online as parents often search on the computer such as kijiji if you haven't. Assuming you listed here on daycarebear.

If you are looking for school age kids then put that in your ads as parentw will soon start to panic over the summer. For younger children it comes in waves. But it can take several months to fill up depending on the area you are in.

Take your own kids to playgroups, the area parks and talk to other caregivers or parents with babies to let them know you have openings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Just to let you know, the daycare business is NOT easy to get clients. It took me 2 years to completely fill up, but I am very picky over the clients that I picked!

Some providers in my area are STILL NOT full after advertising for 2-3 years, and others fill up quickly.

As playfelt suggested, it all depends on what type of clients you want, and how you advertise.

Good luck!

apples and bananas
    I aggree, I think people take those phone numbers and they get lost in the purse. It's still important to have them up as the more exposure you get the better. I have recieved almost all my clients from Kijiji, only one from daycarebear.

I think it depends on a few different things. location, time of year, amount of providers in your area, and shear luck of the draw. Consider placing the advert on kijiji, daycarebear and godaycare. Also making a website is a huge thing in my opinion as this tends to be the number one way to search out daycare. webs.com offer free websites so you dont have to pay a monthly fee or any fee for that matter. webs also let you track the traffic coming through your website so you know how many people view your site each day, week, month etc and where they are located and how much time they spent on your site to show you whether this is effective advertising for you. Also post your business on google places so if people google "home daycare in hamilton" for example, your daycare will be listed in the results and you can put some info, location and a link to your website on it. I hope this helps and good luck. I remember when I first started and I had lots of interviews but nothing for a while and it was then that I found out there were about 6 providers just within my block alone. One other thing too, I dont know where you are, but see if there is a local daycare providers association as they typically have a referal service and they usually if its a good group charge about $30 annually for this service and provide seminars, support groups and a great support system of daycare providers

Agreed - it depends on the demand for care in your location ... being NEW to this is a disadvantage as well cause clients are wary of the 'newbie' and are you going to be reliable and stick it out .... sadly in our industry so many providers start out doing things thinking it will be easy money realize it is anything BUT and close up shop leaving the clients who took a gamble on them high and dry and they share that story with every person looking for care 'beware the newbie try to find a seasoned provider who is in it for the long haul'

I started advertizing in June for a September opening and was fortunately full by November - but at the time those 6 months felt like FOREVER for me to be honest and for the longest time I got NO bites at all so I revamped my ads and removed anything that implied I was NEW to home childcare and instead focused on my selling features - and the calls came flying in

I can empathize with those who've had to wait years to fill up cause the 6 months was challenging on the self esteem
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    It is really difficult to get going and the first year is really hard and a learning experience. It's good that you found a good support system where you can vent and ask questions. Don't give up - keep trying to advertise as you have been. Some of my best clients have found my ads on this very site, but I also have friends place my ad at big companies, hospitals, especially when they have internal electronic sales type systems. You reach a lot of people that way. Advertise at Mom's groups, get your family and friends to spread the word for you. Good luck!