Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    I definitely believe in teaching children diversity and helping to 'eliminate' stereo types and so forth ... it is definitely a fine balance when doing it with OTHER peoples children for sure! ...

hope that makes sense
    It makes complete sense, thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have a good range of colours and a very diverse daycare group so it makes me happy that my children are learning that colour doesn't matter. I also teach the children that boys can play with dolls and girls can play with cars and the parking garage, etc. I teach empathy for other human beings and animals and all living things. It seems to me that you want to teach EMPATHY. I applaud you and this is something you teach day by day be example. I teach the children not to judge other people or to think badly of others. I teach the children to be honest and open with their thoughts so we can discuss any questions they may have and I can alleviate their concerns.

I started an intergenerational program with a senior's residence around the corner from me to teach my little ones about being comfortable around elderly people. There are all kinds of things you can do. If we meet somebody on the street in a wheel chair and they are smiling at the children I stop and talk to them for a bit so the children can meet them and see that they aren't scary. We have stopped to talk to an officer beside his police car, road workers, the parcel delivery guy, the mail carrier. Anyway, you get my drift. Kudos to you for running the same kind of program I'm running, ha!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Exactly Momof4 ~ well said .... it is about those teachable moments everyday that have more meaning for children in learning empathy, understanding and acceptance of varied points of views and beliefs be they religion, race, gender identification, etc and it retains far more learning for children when it comes up naturally in their world at THEIR timeline and initiation verses trying to 'teach' it through a theme or story time or what not when we 'think they need to learn it' .... getting kids out and about and active in their communities is KEY in my opinion to teaching all of these things ~ our communities are full of teachable moments!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    There is a Sesame Street book I have - not sure of the exact title but is something about Everyone is the same everyone is different. The gist of the story is that we all have eyes but they are different (colour, shape). We all have hair but it is different (colour, style, how it is worn)... The idea is to teach the children that while we all have a lot in common there are some things that are unique about others. We would do well to teach children the concept that these things are not wrong just different and that is a lesson they can take into the "real" world with them but for now it is something they can identify with. And it is lessons that fit easily into the lessons we are already doing.

For now focusing on a multicultural, one world, one voice, one hope sort of thing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    What child in early education sees anything but through colorblind eyes?

Dealing with the subject of sexuality should only be taught by the parent’s in my book but there is nothing wrong with a boy playing with dolls or a girl playing with cars.

I had a little boy once who wanted to dress up as a princess and I didn't allow it, as I didn't want to offend his parents or make them think I encouraged it? It's so weird what is considered socially acceptable.

Letting children see that nothing divides any of us and that we are all equally amazing is so important in early life.

One of my day care babies Mom told me that she is not a hugger or very expressive through touch. I hug her little one all the time as I do all my kids and I make them hug to say sorry as well. Her little one hugs her to say hi, I mean bear hug & I can see she loves it!

I wish I lived in amore metropolitan area to be able to teach more diversity one on one. We do have an old age home up the street for deaf people and its time we paid them a nice visit! Great idea!
    Last edited by Skysue; 06-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    ...I had a little boy once who wanted to dress up as a princess and I didn't allow it, as I didn't want to offend his parents or make them think I encouraged it? It's so weird what is considered socially acceptable....
    There are cultures all over the world where men wear 'dresses / kilts / etc' so yes boys DO and can wear dresses .... for children wearing a princess dress is not about gender but about feeling magical in the fabric that generally feels awesome on the skin - fabric that manufacturers generally only made available in gender stereo typed FEMALE options so boys are robbed of that sensation by our lack of foresight about child development - it is that silky flowing feeling that boys often think feels like a magic cape that can make them fly they are not wearing that and dreaming of growing up and being a cross dresser and so forth and well even if they WERE so what they are just CLOTHES they do not define the strength and conviction of the HUMAN inside them

My daycare boys wear the princess dress all the time and I do not discourage it and if I have a client who is uncomfortable with it I remind them that the program they signed on for is emergent and follows the child's lead and interests - as long as what they are doing is safe and does not put them or others in harms way I do not STOP play and this is part of his play - I also explain that developmentally it is not about gender identity or sexuality at 3 years old it is about imagination and feeling magical and more often than not they are not pretending to be 'female' at all and even if they DO take their play in that direction what an awesome way for a boy to explore gender roles as he sees them through his eyes and develop empathy for his mothers and sisters and learn to be a better man, husband and father some day by having walked in their shoes as a child in his play

It is natural for human beings - specially children - to categorize their world to make sense of it ... children with budding language do things like anything with 4 legs is called whatever the first animal they are exposed to and this goes on for the longest time where everything of that characteristic is a 'dog' or whatever until they learn to create more 'categories' of understanding. Therefore children make 'categorizations' including things like 'boys only where blue and play with toys and trucks' and 'girls only wear pink and play with princesses and cook in kitchen sets' and other gender stereotypes in our society because this is what they are exposed to in media, how business 'target' toys and learning things and so forth - we definitely need to BREAK that cycle with future generations .... celebrate the ways we truly ARE different because the sexes ARE different ... only women can actually 'bare' and naturally 'feed' infants yes and that is a special gift for us but we BOTH can be equal in every other way .... aside from that fundamental difference the sexes are and should be treated equal ... while some things might come 'easier' to certain people based on their size and stature or others that might be 'harder' based on the same there is no feat that either sex cannot DO if properly motivated
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    re: little boys

my pt-dcb was wearing a tutu like the girls when we were silly dancing this week, he asked for it so I said yes. He even was waving the wand around....its was fun. I knew the dad gave off a MEN DONT DO THIS vibe so I told mom in a very 'so cute' tone that we did this today. She laughed and thought it was fun.....then said "oh but yeah dont tell his father". w.h.a.t.e.v.e.r
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!