Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

What is the right thing to do?

Hello,

I have a dilemma! Normally when I am filling a spot I usually work with one family at a time to give them priority over the spot. Although I think this is a fantastic idea, it has also bitten me hard because sometimes the families drop out last minute and puts me in a jam.... I also think it is from me being 'too nice and wanting to help everyone '

So here is my dilemma...

I have met a family who is interested in a spot that I have open for Sept and they are interested and are wanting to sign up. Perfect! Or so I thought... as soon as I mentioned coming by to sign documents and to bring a deposit by I am hearing crickets... no reply...

So I called someone who sent me an email who wants the spot and we are meeting next wed to view the spot and potentially sign up.

What would you do? Should I email the other family saying that this is happening so if you do not meet me by then, good bye spot?

Do you do first to bring a deposit by wins? Money talks?

I just feel bad, but it is also annoying being treated this way by other families as they are probably out looking at 2nd/3rd options...

What is your policy on this? Just looking for some guidance

Euphoric !
    The first family missed a deadline and that is not your fault and a red flag marker for them. It is not your job to chase after families. In the meantime you have lined up an interview with a second family. Did you set the date or did the family. I always feel bad when I am busy and they wanted to come by the next night and I have to put them off 2-3 days in which case I don't accept anyone till I meet with them since it is my fault but that is just my guilt and yes it has cost me kids before.

I certainly wouldn't contact family one again. It is very common to take a month and visit lots of places before deciding which one to go with. Be wary of anyone that interviews and signs on the spot unless they have told you they have seen other places and how they are arriving at their decision.

Mostly it is first to bring a deposit. I have interviewed 4-5 people in a week and then sat back and waited with fingers crossed that the one I really wanted calls me back first. Think of looking for childcare like buying a house. You look at lots and while not one of them is perfect you have to decide which flaw you can live with and then pick one. But if you take too long thinking about it some of those houses will be sold while you were thinking. Same happens in daycare. We "show" our daycare to lots of interested people who go away and think about it and compare it to others they see and everyone takes their chances that the space will still be there if they want it while knowing it is a gamble that it won't be.

Where I live some families visit 10-15 caregivers over the course of a couple weeks before sitting down to narrow down the list. I just keep interviewing till someone makes up their mind. At that point I do sometimes send an email to those that interviewed saying the space is now filled but I will keep their name on file should there be any change.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have now put it in my Policy Handbook that I show during interview or email before interview that I can be interviewing several families at once and until deposit and completed paperwork have been returned the space is not guaranteed. Then there is no excuse when they miss out!

Expansive...
    samantha - you are doing the right thing. Anytime I interview for a couple of months in advance I stipulate that I will need the contract and a non-refunadable deposit back if they want the spot.

The fact that family #1 has left you hearing the chirp of crickets is not a good sign. If they are not willing to bring the deposit then they are not committed to the spot yet and they have not decided on your daycare. They may still decide that you are the one for them but I would see it as a red flag like Playfelt said and it would not make me think that they are very interested.

That means you are free to interview. If the next family does seem great and wants to sign then you owe nothing to family #1.

I would not contact the original family again either. They know how to reach you if they are interested. They may also think you are just doing a sales tactic to try to close the deal and fibbing about the other interview and it could make you look desperate.

I think you are thinking straight by booking the other interview and keeping your options open. No reasonable human being could expect a daycare to hold a spot when they don't reply and the spot is 3 months away.

Good luck with that second interview

Quote Originally Posted by DaycareLulu View Post
    I have now put it in my Policy Handbook that I show during interview or email before interview that I can be interviewing several families at once and until deposit and completed paperwork have been returned the space is not guaranteed. Then there is no excuse when they miss out!
    I agree - although I do not have anything 'written' this is the verbal explanation given during the interview process - I interview several potential clients at once and when I have finished my interview process I notify my first choice and let them know that I would love to have them in my program and if I am their first choice the deposit and contract needs to be signed with 24 hours of the offer or I will move onto my 2nd choice and so forth.

I am not going to miss out on filling a spot because someone else is 'waffling' on signing on or not ... someone selling a car is not going to turn down an offer from a second person because someone was by a week earlier and 'expressed interest' ... in business MONEY TALKS
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    It seems to me that you have every right to take the family who signs and pays first. However, you should definitely take the family that YOU want to sign on because it is YOUR business.

My opinion is that the space is open until somebody signs on the dotted line, then the people who didn't jump on it get a 'thanks but the space is filled' email. You don't have to feel the least bit guilty about who interviewed first, but rather who is intelligent enough to see how valuable you are.