Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Would you give the food parents brought or serve your own?

the last two DCK ive started with day one they show up with snacks and lunch from home. i was kinda taken aback as i do provide a full days food here.
    would you have given them the food or given them what you made?
    i gave a little bit of both...i dont want parents to think im not capable of feeding their children or getting them to eat but i didnt want them to think they didnt eat anything.

Outgoing
    Most of my guys eat what I provide. I have one little girl who is on a very strict diet at home so her parents provide her snack. She is only part time afternoons so its only one snack. I don't change my rate though, same price even though they bring the food. Its worked out ok, she has her snack while the others have theirs and nobody really questions anything. The only time it was an issue was when we do treats for bday's like cupcakes. She can't have them, so one those days I just send the treats home with all the kids and they have them there. Not sure I would want to do it with all 5 kids having different foods, but I like to be as flexible as possible and there are so many issues with food nowadays that if it makes a parent happy to send it, then by all means send away

Euphoric !
    I'm curious about the reason the parents sent the food. Did you ask them why they were sending it? I've had parents send in treats on special days but not often. They all know I serve mostly organically grown, home-cooked food so why would they send any food? Do you have a communication problem with this family? Time to have a chat with them and get things straightened out. I never sit and wonder I always talk to people right away and solve the problem. There are too many problems if you let them pile up. Deal with them right away every time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Great advice Momof4. I'm of the same opinion.

I'm sure this could be cleared up easily with a quick chat with the parents. It might be a simple as they didnt read the contract/policy properly on meals and snacks or that they are human beings having a brain fart moment lol

Outgoing
    theyve both just started with me, and neither have really been away from mom or dad before. i think the idea is that they dont think they will eat what i serve. i havent had that issue and have told both moms they eat everything i serve with no complaint. however, they continue to send the food.

Outgoing
    Momof4 i serve very healthy choices as well so I dont believe that is the problem. i am very open and communicate with all my families. i dont feel this is something i have done.

Euphoric !
    Well if it's not causing issues between all the children in the sense that one says why can't I have what she's having .... And if it makes mom feel better then feed it... I wouldn't give a discount. All my parents send breakfast for their kids so everybody gets something different and I have never had a problem. so if they have never been away from mom I'm assuming they are around the 1 year mark and so they are not going to care if they have different things . I would just say to the parent " you aren't required to send food as I supply but if you prefer I feed yours then that's fine".

apples and bananas
    Wow... that's fantastic! I would love a parent to bring food. I remember when my kids were in daycare I started packing them a lunch when they were close to kindergarten age to get them used to opening and closing things on their own.

I would just politly remind the parent that you are happy to serve them lunch. But they need to commit one way or another.... if you're like me you probably plan your groceries based on how many children your feeding.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

I personally do not allow food from home unless they have food allergies / medical need for it or it is a prearranged special occasion like birthday or Valentines treat or something - however that is clearly discussed and covered in my handbook so I have never had an issue with newbies trying to send things.

If it is a communication problem because the practice was not covered in a policy handbook or the contract I would just discuss with them why they feel the need and if it is something you are OK with doing go ahead .... personally I do not like the conflict that can arise from allowing food from home ... just easier if we are all eating the SAME so no grass is greener on the other side of the plate behaviours - when it is in regards to a food allergy or medical condition it is easier for children to 'accept' why verses 'Little Johnny is just a picky eater and does not like what we are having so his mommy sent him his 'favorites' to ensure he eats' ... cause IME that just leads to every kid expecting 'restaurant options' at meal time and that is not my philosophy for creating healthy eaters so I wont do it ... you eat what is served by me or you wait until the next snack or meal - not going to harm a child to miss a meal cause they do not 'like' what is being served and frankly if they are made to miss a meal or two they quickly learn that they LIKE more things cause they get to experience what being truly HUNGRY means something most children in North America rarely feel cause they have access to food not only daily but many times a day ... not all kids are so lucky

I highly doubt that places like Africa, India or Etheopia have 'picky eater's syndrome' .... they learn to eat what is served to them when it is served to them because there is no other option and they know it ... just because we have the option to 'cater' does not mean we should - children need to learn to make healthy choices because they are BLESSED to have them!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    unless there is food provided for all the children then I would never accept it, like reggio I do not allow outside food, first there is the concerns for allergies and restrictions that all parents are not aware of, as well if one child has something and the rest do not it causes me more problems than not so I just do not allow it. The only exception I had was one child in care was a vegetarian so mom and I would sit down and once I had my meal plan together for the week she would send protein options if needed but normally I would provide it all.