Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Filler up vibes!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you for the good vibes everyone.. the interview went really well. I wasn't nervous at all; it all just kind of flowed and was really relaxed (but professional). Other than the tour I spent the whole time either out in the backyard (for a few minutes) or on the floor of my playroom. I tried to interact with the little one but I was generally ignored. I did notice that the child was a bit overly aggressive with my child but it could be because they were 2.5.. the mom did talk a bit about discounts and rate reductions and "not having any money". It kind of sent up a few red flags but I don't know if I am just being overly nervous being as this is my first interview. She also mentioned that she doesn't immunize her children. I know that in BC licensed daycares aren't permitted to take on children who are not immunized (so I've been told by quite a few people).. I am on the fence about this one. I am a to each his own type person, I'm just concerned about my baby especially since she hasn't had all of her immunizations. I will do some research to find out why licensing here doesn't allow children who are not immunized into licensed daycares and call the health department to find out the risks to my kids (and my husband and myself) or if there are any.

I did get another call for an interview tonight at 9:30pm.. the lady apologized profusely and said that she and her husband want to meet with me tomorrow morning. Apparently they are moving here from back east and want to set everything up. She asked about sibling discounts but did not push the conversation further. I have decided not to discount.. hopefully that is the right decision.

Well, keep your filler up vibes coming They are greatly appreciated!

apples and bananas
    Eek! I get a huge red flag when they talk about discounts. I used to be a retail manager and I can't imagion interviewing a perspective staff and trying to talk them down to under min wage to keep my labour costs in line. It's the same thing!

In my experiance, I'm the type of person that needs to feel like I'm being paid what I'm worth, otherwise I get frustrated and do a lousy job.

Stick to your guns! No discounts unless you're desperate and even then i'd be cautious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Shy
    apples and bananas, I totally agree with you. My first instinct is to not offer discounts. When I was looking for daycare for my kids I never even thought about asking for discounts, but that's just me. On the positive side I had a really good interview this morning. The older child was just a doll and the little one was so sweet. My kids and theirs got along really well. The older one didn't want to leave! I got a really good feeling from it all. She told me I am "by far at the top of their list". They are just weighing if they want to go with a nanny or my center and if they want full time or part time. They said they would call tomorrow and also asked if I hear back from anyone else if I wouldn't mind calling them and giving them the opportunity to make their decision right away so they don't miss out. I am hoping that is positive. I have my fingers crossed

Euphoric !
    Definitely don't offer any discount! Would you have an electrician come into your home and ask him for a discount? That's what you want, right? Discount wiring and discount childcare. NOOOOO!!!

Stand strong and the great families will find you. I'm so happy you felt comfortable with your interview and that you are already spotting 'red flags'. You are going to be awesome!

Shy
    Well, I guess I was worrying for nothing . The last family I interviewed (the one that was considering a nanny or my daycare) starts in August! I am so happy, I think the kids will be a great fit. The parents and I have very similar parenting styles. The mom is a teacher so will not need care in July and some of August but said she would put a deposit down to save her spots for the next school year but I have time to figure out what I will do for next summer. Thank you for all the good vibes! It obviously helped!

Euphoric !
    I'm really happy for you!

Expansive...
    YAY! that's great news!
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!