Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

Parent who is one time, but takes their time leaving

Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to know if anyone has run into this problem.
    The father takes his time leaving and let's the kids run around the house for almost 15 minutes. I have come to the conclusion that he is stalling so that his wife is arriving at home and he is not alone with his children. I have talked to both parents and they say they understand! They are their children are the first to be picked up, so I have to watch their children run wild and the ones who are still in my care. What do I do?

Outgoing
    I have the same problem with a mom ... no matter what I say or do she stalls. I think she figures I'm open until 5h30 so she is going to get her moneys worth I don't know. I've talked to her, I get her son ready to be out the door, I even started cooking diner, I told her I had appointements, I ignored the conversation ... If you find something that works ...PLEASE let me know. Not that I mind chitt chatt with adults but ... everynight and by the time she leaves, I'm way behind schedule sometimes and I have two of my own and a very hungry husband

Starting to feel at home...
    I have this issue as well! Mom shows up on time then hangs around for 20 mins while Dcg runs wild doing things she knows she's not permitted to do and mom seems to find this behaviour amusing! She has even climbed over the gate and went up into my older daughters room!
    Some kids turn into monsters when parents arrive, she sure doesn't act the same during daycare hours!

Euphoric !
    I had that problem with one parent and now I have the child ready at the door and standing there when parent walks in and I say to the child "ok give me five and have a good night". Then I say to the parent " xxxx had a great day see you tomorrow " and I put my hand on the door. Worked like a charm. Now parent walks in says to child are you ready? Then they go! If this doesn't work then say to the parent sorry I'm really busy i dont g
    have time to chat have a good night....and block the way so they can't get in. And if the child runs off grab him/her and say nooo the day is over and it's time to go have a nice night..... And don't let them run off. I put a gate up for that reason so they can't get away and if parent is a few minutes late I have a chair where they can sit if I have to step over the gate to attend to something else
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 06-20-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Spelling

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Yup, I do the same as Crayola. I will have the child ready at the door, and just hold the door, and boot them out. I don't even let the parent come in to get them to realize that hanging around while I'm working is unacceptable!

I am always opening the door, and holding onto the door while parents enter or exit my home. I don't give them the chance to hang around.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    We are outside when Parents pick up. When the last Parent comes I say good night ant I walk away and go inside.

In the winter I have occasionally had that problem and when the Parent won't discipline I do . I have put children on time out for running in the house, pulling on my blinds hitting their parent and many other things..... My house my rules.

Outgoing
    I have the SAME problem! Mom comes in and SIT DOWN ON MY COUCH! She takes off her shoes and everything. What I've started doing is (my living room - which is where the kids are during pick up and drop off hours - is right beside the front entrence) leaving the gate closed, having all his things ready to go - including his milk, and then picking him up over the gate and giving him to her. Then I walk away. Saying I am cooking dinner, or tending to something else. I always come back but she knows it's time to go. A few times she's even said "I guess we should go now". What does she think this is? A rest stop? Anyways, it seems to be doing the trick. I just don't pay attention to her conversation attempts. Luckily, she's sort of an awkward person so this whole situation makes her uncomfortable and she leaves.

Good luck!

Euphoric !
    My front entrance area is gated off from the house so parents can come no further. When the doorbell rings everyone runs to the gate to see whose mom it is even though I am 99% sure cause I know the order they always come in and really so do they. I open gate and open door - ONLY the child whose parent it is may come out to the front area. I talk briefly to the parent while they dress. I step in if child is not cooperating. If parent is doing the reasoning with a toddler I just step in and say XXXX at Sharon's house you do as you are told sit down, put your coat on or whatever it is that is the issue and then once dressed say goodbye see you tomorrow and then disappear on the other side of the gate. Parent usually takes child in embarassment and leaves. The kids learn though that as long as I am standing there at the door they need to cooperate. It is when I get called away to the other kids that they start to put up a fight. It is funny how they will start and then look over at me and I give them that stern look and they then do as they are told. I think we need to have lessons in "the look" added to labour and delivery classes for use after birth.

This is in my manual as part of Guidelines for Parents:
    . Drop-off and pick-up on time. Do not linger. Do not bring toys, food, or drink for your child from home unless on special occasion or with permission. Provide supplies in a timely manner - diapers, appropriate spare clothing for the season and medicines/diaper creams. No shoes in the house (beyond the mat at the front door). Upon the third infraction of any guideline, as outlined in the manual, a two-week termination notice will be given.
    Another part of this is
    Respect the Daycare Provider
    . IF they can't do this, then they get a strike.

I also have a business in the evenings that I need to get ready for. During the interview process, I let the families know that pick-up needs to be quick, as I only have an hour of 'down time/supper time' until I teach for 3 hours in the evening. Again, if they can't respect my wishes/manual, then they get a strike/warning, and time to go.

THIS IS YOUR BUSINESS. YOUR HOME, YOUR RULES.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

I personally do not mind if they stay a bit at pick up for a bit of a play and observation of their child with the other kids - as long as it is not the actual END of the day - however you follow the rules of my program or I will and DO ask you to leave ... I have had one client - the only one I ever vent about - who I have had to physically usher to my door or gate and say 'sorry you are not coping with mom / dad here it is time for them to take you home - we cannot behave like this at Reggio's house. We will see you tomorrow when you are rested and making better choices' - and they leave often with their child kicking and screaming out the house

I thrive and INSIST on consistency for children ... the rules and consequences for poor choices in behavior are the same no matter WHO is present and to be honest if the client does not step up and parent their child at drop off or pick up I WILL - my house, my rules and my control!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post: