Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Outgoing

Milk

I have a 14 month old who started coming with formula and then moved to homo milk. Mom and dad were bringing their milk but the other day, they ran out half day. I'd forgotten to tell them they were due for milk. I made the mistake of offering some of MY 2% (the little boy NEEDS a cup of milk on his way home apparently). Now, it's been three days since I've asked them for milk (asked them twice) and they haven't brough any, I'm assuming bc they think I will give him some of my milk. What I think they're doing is switching them to 2% while he's here so I will supply it. I never said I would supply 2% to the daycare kids, but I think they're assuming it.

What is your milk policy? I think the little boy should be drinking homo still so I don't agree with supplying my 2%. Also, he drinks like litres of it a day (which I also don't agree with) and I'm not paying for all that milk.

What should I do? What would you do?

Outgoing
    I serve milk here as part of my food plan but it is restricted to one cup at breakfast and one cup at lunch. Any other time they get water and occasional juice. Right now I serve homo because my own daughter needs it but as soon as she's off it I will only serve skim like the rest of my family drinks. If parents want homo for their kids they will have to supply it. I go through a ton of milk here but find it easier than everyone bringing their own cups (everyone keeps a sippy cup here) and it ends up being a food write off so at least I'm getting some of the cost back.

I will only serve 2% milk. If they want to supply HOMO, they are welcome to, as I refuse to buy it.

Euphoric !
    I supply 2% milk and if they want homo they supply it. Many do the 2% here to save having to bring or bring one cup of it in the morning and I refill with my milk over the day. However I NEVER do the food that leaves the house. Too many were asking for that and no amount of saying excuse me your child just had snack less then 20 minutes ago helped so the rule is if you want your child to have something for the ride home either have it in the car or you are allowed to leave it in my fridge for the day till home time but I will not provide anything but water in the cup. Most of my parents are less than 15 minutes from home and some still think their child can not survive in the car without food and drink. Not my problem they taught them bad habits.

Milk is served in daycare as part of the menu. Milk at lunch and morning snack. Juice after naptime as we often take it outside.

Euphoric !
    I only have 1% in my home if parents want anything else they have to supply it and I serve water at snack times and milk at lunch ..... Kids do not need "liters" of it each day .... One cup is plenty at daycare if parents want more they can supply it.... If the parents are not supplying the required milk then I would give him water and if he wants something to drink on the way home fill his cup with water .... I would say sorry I'm almost out and I need it for dinner ..... You do "special " for someone and it quickly becomes the norm for them while it continues to be special to you ...... Don't do special

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am with Crayola Kiddies on this one! When I first started milk was a hot item (I had less children at the time so did not see the disaster coming, lol). Now I only serve milk with lunch at the odd time at afternoon snack or if we are making hot chocolate... milk gets expensive and it becomes something people expect, especially the children. It is a hard habit to break but once you do I think you will be thanking yourself.

Have you tried sending out a group email so you are not singling out the family stating something like 'going forward I will be offering two glasses of milk per day per child. If your child requires more milk than this please bring in your own milk.'

I would love to know how this goes!

apples and bananas
    I serve 2% at lunch and breakfast if they are here that early. Snacks are water for the little ones and very watered down juice for the bigger ones. I've had a mom or two forget to bring me more homo for their 1 year old. I let them know that I'm happy to serve them 2% with the rest of the kids. If they choose to take their child off of homo early then that's their choice.

I had one child that had homo at home and 2% here. Parents choice... this is what I offer.

Euphoric !
    I also limit drinks to 4 oz for milk and juice. And then after they have eaten some food if they are still thirsty they may have water but never more milk or juice. As in I give them a serving according to the food guide and that is all they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I only have 1% in my home if parents want anything else they have to supply it and I serve water at snack times and milk at lunch ..... Kids do not need "liters" of it each day .... One cup is plenty at daycare if parents want more they can supply it.... If the parents are not supplying the required milk then I would give him water and if he wants something to drink on the way home fill his cup with water .... I would say sorry I'm almost out and I need it for dinner ..... You do "special " for someone and it quickly becomes the norm for them while it continues to be special to you ...... Don't do special
    Agreed; I do the same here.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

First thing that popped to my mind is why are they expecting you to provide ANYTHING for the car ride home - IMO if their child needs s something AFTER HOURS it is their job to provide it and the car ride HOME is after hours?

I would not supply anything but a refill of WATER for the ride home .... sorry but not my job to tide your kid over for the ride home

As for milk policies ... my personal belief is that human beings are not intended to consume as much 'cows milk' as we seem to think we need - most of the 'nutrients' that it is toted for have been added by MAN and do not naturally belong in there and therefore the bodies ability to 'absorb them' is limited - IMO there are many more easy to digest forms of calcium, iron and essential fatty acids that are better for brain and bone development and easier to absorb by the body .... I find it ironic that the government and milk boards push MILK on society because of its source of Vitamin D and yet we still remain a society whose Vitamin D levels are deficient .... makes one wonder WHY?

Anyway I digress ... I only serve milk at ONE meal and choose to offer a menu rich in nutrition normally gotten from milk by other sources - spinach, avacado and so forth. I usually offer milk at lunch and to be honest I give the kids a choice between it and water and most of mine choose water specially this time of year - so I will make a pro-biotic yogurt based frozen 'treat' for the afternoon to get a serving of extra 'dairy' into them.

If a client wants milk served more often than that - than they provide it regardless of the 'fat %'
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi