Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reasonable Time-frame to hear back from parents?

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait to hear from parents after the interview?
    I thought 1 week was reasonable, and that is what I plan on doing.
    However... I have a lady asking for an interview for Friday. Her child would only be part-time, with very little hours. She sounded desperate in the beginning, so I wanted to help her. She originally contacted me in April. I told her that I did not have a space available for part-time children right now but that I would contact her if anything came up. Last week, I advertised space for full-time spots. She emailed me again. I decided to make a deal with her. I explained to her that I could accept her child into my dayhome if she was able to bring him for, at least 20hrs per week, or 40 in a 2 week period. That is when she mentioned that her current dc provider is very flexible and allows her to do any hours. She also said that her child would only be in my care temporarily. (a month or 2). Since I have not filled my daycare spots, I offered to help her out temporarily.
    She emailed me back saying that she wants to meet on Friday, and that she has interviews with other daycare providers in the next 2 weeks. I do not want to wait 2 weeks for a response! I've had a lot of people ask me about part-time care, and offering me more hours than she is. I turned them all down initially.
    Should I be nice and wait the 2 week period for her to meet with other providers, or should I say that I can only hold the spot for 1 week? I currently have a wait list for part-time care. (I am just not sure that I want the position to be part-time permanently)

Is it reasonable to say "first come, first serve"?

Outgoing
    I think its more than reasonable. I had an interview last night and got a call this morning saying they were going with me. Now that is very very rare. I think a week, especially if its an open space that needs to be filled, is reasonable. I try a fit all my interviews in a short time frame to make the decision quick, for both parents and for myself.

Euphoric !
    Whom ever brings back the signed contract and the deposit first wins

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Crayola Kiddies,

This is what I REALLY want to say. I think this will be my policy. lol

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Whom ever brings back the signed contract and the deposit first wins
    I agree! Keep interviewing until a space is filled. If you fill a space before somebody gets back to you they have missed out on a wonderful opportunity. Their loss!

Euphoric !
    If you have other people looking for part time with more hours and you already know in reality she is going to keep looking till she finds someone who will accomodate her then I probably wouldn't even waste time on an interview. Spend your time on the others and get them lined up. Then if per chance they have a later start date you could contact the woman back and say ok for the next two months I will have an opening that you can use whatever days you need and pay per day - after all you weren't goign to get anything for the days anyways. Makes everyone happy that way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FreshPrincess View Post
    Is it reasonable to say "first come, first serve"?

Yes, my rule is that whomever is FIRST (of the people I actually like and want to be here) to bring back the deposit and contract gets the spot. I don't wait on people.

Starting to feel at home... angelina's Avatar
    this is a good question. i thought one week is fair deal.

the parents were shopping around, and i just filled it with the next in line "who bring in the money and signed the deal!".
    If they whine, give them cheese. If they're not hugable, hug yourself. (me)

I always tell prospective clients that I keep interviewing until I have a signed contract and deposit in my hand so while I respect that they have other interviews to compete before making their decision it is understandable that I will be doing the same and IF they are leaning towards me they need to let me know ASAP so I can keep that in mind as I finish up my interviewing rounds and prepare to start offering the space out to the best match ... once I OFFER you the space you have 1 business day to commit to it with a contract and deposit otherwise it goes to the next person on the list!

Honestly if I gave clients who showed interest a WEEK to decide to take a spot before interviewing the next person or what not it would take me months to fill my space
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi