Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone garden?

Starting to feel at home...

Anyone garden?

One thing I love about being a DCP is that I am home and can do a vegetable garden.

Does anyone else garden? It's March now! We're planting peas tomorrow for St Patricks Day. Probably put some lettuce/spinach down now too.

All the best,
    Emily
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    Took out some overgrown bushes last year and have a few more to go this year - basically once the mess was thinned out wanted to give them a chance to either grow nicely or suffer the same fate. The plan is to put in some raised beds that we can put a combination of veggies and flowers in with walking paths between them. The area isn't big and the actual yields aren't important. It is more about enjoying the plants and watering them etc.

I don't find I get a lot of chance to garden while the kids are in care because they are so young they need constant watching so can't have my back towards them while I weed, etc. and instead have to lift them on and off swings, kick balls, etc. but when I am down to just the last one that is older and here longer I will often get a yard waste bag and he will help me pick up the stuff I snip off the plants.

I do have one of those dandelion weeders and will take it around the yard and yank out a few each playtime with the idea of trying to keep ahead of the weeds taking over.

I have been looking online for ideas of more natural landscaping for play and less toys and would really like to move in that direction but still need to watch the amount of stone, wood corners etc as parents don't seem to appreciate that kids get scraps when they play outside.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I also plan on making a garden this year but I really have no idea what I am doing So any advice from those who DO know a think or two would be greatly appreciated .
    So I should already be starting the garden in March ? We have tons of snow left here!
    Do you buy all your veggies as " babies" ( Told you I don;t know what I am doing , Don't even know the terms lol ) Or do you plant your own seeds ?
    I tried with seeds last year and nothing grew at all. I wasted 75 $!

Well, Sunflower, you have time still! You are much farther north than I am in Southern Ontario. I'm planting peas and spinach from seed tomorrow. THey will give me a late spring crop and both of those plants do well in the colder temperatures.

THen, when May long weekend comes I will buy plants to put in: cucumber, tomatoes, zucchini, pumpkin. I also plant from seed that weekend: green beans, carrots, lettuce, sunflowers.

Euphoric !
    Most previous attempts to garden here have been for the sole purpose of feeding the neighbourhood wild rabbit population or at least that is what they seemed to think. We loved watching them in the yard but they really did wreck havoc on the plants. I know covering with chicken wire, etc is an option but my goal was not to keep the kids from the gardens but to enjoy them. Going to try it again and hope to have a few things they don't like. I love eating yellow and green beans raw so plan to grow them but as bush beans not the trailing vine kind. Carrots were a disaster thanks to the bunnies. Will try to do pumpkin for the kids, maybe try gourds or something interesting. I have another area that has my rhubarb some of which I will move over to the area since it grows fast and big and fills in nicely and you can never have too much to put down for the winter. Will have a couple tomato plants but will get those either as small plants or through the plantcycle group here in Ottawa that trades plants, seeds, and has a ton of advice (it is a yahoo group and there are groups in other areas I think too).

I do thank my two cats for keeping our garden rodent free. Last summer my one kitty gifted me with 7 chipmunks, two rabbits and countless mice. I swear she doesn't sleep in the summer. LOL!

Shy
    Oh playfelt I think people are minority in Orleans, and rabbits rule! My cat loves to chase them outside its kinda funny. At least someone will keep them away! They are a pain, and my neighbor called the ministry to see what we can do about it, your allowed to trap and move them 1 mile away, GREAT they'll be back the next freakn day. Dumb!! But the babies are kinda cute...we can look out the front of the house a night in the summer and they are playing at my neighbors across the street running the yard and they live under their shed. However, just don't eat my flowers!
    My cat is lovable and cute and fat in the winter, and skinny, and never here in the summer except to eat!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Most previous attempts to garden here have been for the sole purpose of feeding the neighbourhood wild rabbit population or at least that is what they seemed to think. We loved watching them in the yard but they really did wreck havoc on the plants. I know covering with chicken wire, etc is an option but my goal was not to keep the kids from the gardens but to enjoy them. Going to try it again and hope to have a few things they don't like. I love eating yellow and green beans raw so plan to grow them but as bush beans not the trailing vine kind. Carrots were a disaster thanks to the bunnies. Will try to do pumpkin for the kids, maybe try gourds or something interesting. I have another area that has my rhubarb some of which I will move over to the area since it grows fast and big and fills in nicely and you can never have too much to put down for the winter. Will have a couple tomato plants but will get those either as small plants or through the plantcycle group here in Ottawa that trades plants, seeds, and has a ton of advice (it is a yahoo group and there are groups in other areas I think too).
    lol yep- that seems to be my problem with gardening.

I try every year- starting each season with the determination that THIS WILL BE THE YEAR--- and it lasts until mid July and then it goes to pot.

I have really liked blue stone perennials though, until the dog dug them up