Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daycare music recommendations?

I would like to invest in some good CDs for music and dancing in the daycare...any recommendations? I think even the kids are groaning at my awful singing voice
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Good news is kids are not picky so don't spend a lot of money in the belief they are "quality" as some artists do overprice their CD. My gang even like the Fisherprice ones I picked up fro $5 at the drug store. Visit a used record store and just pick up anything that is child friendly. That way you have a variety of music.

If all else fails check with your cable tv supplier to find out if the music channels are included in your package and then turn to treehouse music - all kid friendly as well as a few other channels for classical, etc that would be fine - others you have to watch each song or stick to the just instrumental channels. Worth the investment since they are always available.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Ziggy Marley- Family Time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to loulou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We have a lot of stations on our cable tv and I switch it up from a Dance techno beat some days to Reggae some days to Salsa - latin beat seems to be their fave. I tell you where they lose all interest is the kid's station, it really bores them. They need a good beat and they are good to go.

Also, we have a bongo drum, maraccas, home-made shaker bottles, tambourines and the children make music while they dance.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Honestly we mostly listen to instrumental music in the 'background' ... classical, African drums, Celtic and so forth this is the music I also use for 'dancing' and creative movement and so forth.

Another favorite of ours is Salsa Babies and Tots CDs which is an actual music and movement course you can take with kids - but I was lucky to take a train the trainer type workshop where they showed us how to offer the program to the kids - they LOVE this one cause it has some structure and some free thought to it.
    http://salsababies.com/locations/
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Best CDs that the daycare kids love are "The Wiggles". I think we have almost every CD and I cringe at "Hot potato" after hearing it a million times. The kids love it though.

The fisher price cds are popular here but they creep me out. LOL The kids love them but I think the people singing are adults pretending to be kids and it makes me feel kind of icky. I may be crazy though. lol

On Rogers Digital we get music stations around the 200s and 900 channels. There is a kid music station called KIDS GALAXY which is commercial free kids music. I will sometimes put that on while we are crafting on the main floor.

I never thought of putting on the salsa and raggae station. there are all sorts of galaxy music stations on rogers so I may try that

I have tried putting on the actual radio for them but they don't seem that interested in mainstream music

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We listen to a lot of international music...Latin music, African music, Caribbean music, classical, and on and on. But we also listen to "kids" music CDs...you can actually pick those up at the Dollar Store for $1 and the kids do like those as well. I don't think kids really need "kids" music...any music is good for them (as long as there are no bad words etc).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have to admit I don't like the Galaxy TV one very much. 1st about two weeks ago in the extreme heat they were playing Christmas songs all day! I love many of those songs but it was driving me nuts!! and the fact they they play a lot of slower songs, they kids loose intrest quickly.

I got from walmart 50 Toddler Silly songs and those aren't half bad! I agree with the "Little People" ones aren't my favorite....hearing off pitch kids yelling out the songs isn't doing it for me!

I put on the salsa ones often and I have a DVD of Portuguese kids songs w/ actions and they like that one too.

I wanted more....I know a lot of people who are BIG fans of Raffi's music
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamma_Mia For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Mamma Mia, I have a Raffi video (yes I know, I'm one of the few people who still have a VCR) and the children won't pay attention to it. One song at a time works well if I sing it too and we do actions together.

I'm soooo with you about the cd's with children singing - my ears, my ears!

Expansive...
    Walmart has amazing selection of CD's for $5.00, Great quality songs 50 songs a CD.

Titles: Fun Songs/ Silly Songs/ Toddler Songs/ Traveling Songs my kids go crazy for these CD's and love dance time everyday! These CD's have the best songs, like Happy and you know it, Bottle or Pop, On top of Spagetti, Down by the Bay, etc...