Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

Threaded View

Expansive...

Help my 4 year old refuses to write her name?

Hi,

My DD is 4 and will be starting school in Sept. She can say her ABC’s and she knows them phonetically as well. She can read basic words and can count to 50; she can identify numbers to twenty.

She knows close to 50 kid’s songs and can sing all the Tangled songs by heart, so cute. She knows a few rhymes and riddles.

She is very social as well and plays really good with others. The one thing I can’t seem to get her to do is write her name, she just refuses. She can write a few letters but completely shuts down when I ask her to try and write her name. I feel like a total failure as they have asked us to try our best to get them to do it before school starts in Sept.

I just learned that cutting with scissors is a skill that helps there fine motor writing so I have introduced that as a game in the daycare, we make beds for pets by cutting paper and we cut out pictures to clue in scrapbooks, she isn’t great but she is getting there.

Any tips ladies on what I should do to get her interested in writing? I don’t want to force her as it can make her not want to learn all together. It is really frustrating to watch her shut right down.
    Last edited by Skysue; 06-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.