Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Transition week - what to charge

I have a family that will be starting soon (2 kids). They will be coming full-time and charged by the week. However, the first week is a transition week, which is what the mother requested, but I am unsure what to charge. First day they are coming for an hour, with a parent. Second day they are coming for two hours, parent is staying for first hour. Third day they are coming for two hours, no parent. I think next time I will limit the transition to one day! I had another little one start recently with no transition, was here the first day for a full nine hours and he did just fine.

Hi there, I charge $40 for a full day $25 for four hours, and $10/hr for anything less

Euphoric !
    This is what I have in my contract:

Where space is open before your child will start care there will be an opportunity for a gradual integration to care.
    $10 for up to 60 minutes (no snack, meal or nap)
    $15 for up to 90 minutes (snack, no meal or nap)
    $20 for half day (snack, morning nap if needed, no meal)
    $30 for half day (snack, morning nap if needed, lunch)
    $40 for full day of care (2 snacks, nap, lunch)
    Please pick up by 4:00 pm so your child is one of the first to go home as transition days can be very stressful for your child. No drop off or pickup during naptime 1:00 and 3:00 pm please

So, they are only spending 3 hours without a parent--would you still charge $10/hour even with two of them, or would you double it? So $30 or $60?

I don't charge for the first visit with MOm. I then do two hours without parent, and then next day stay for lunch, next day pick up after nap, then an early pick up th next day. I charge 1/2 for second and third days then full fees after that. Double it, two children are double the work.

I am the same way ... I do not charge when the parent is on site - but I typically ask them not to be IN program during those times so that I can TRY to meet the child's needs without them present and we agree upon a 'length of time' the child can be in distress before the parent returns to the playroom.

For transition days I charge $10 an hour, $30 for up to 4 hours with lunch and than after 4 hours is a full day fee.

I typically do THREE 'play dates' with the parent present two in morning one 9-11 and one 10:30 -12:30 and than one for afternoon 3 to close time....this gives the parent a chance to see the 'bulk' of the program and the kids in action without interrupting naptime routine for them or me and it allows them to meet all the clients before they 'leave' their child here with me. Than if the space if available before the client needs to start or client has the option with work their first week of care is a 'wean in' ... the Monday 2 hour morning solo, Tuesday 3 hour morning solo, Wednesday normal drop off and pick up after lunch, Thursday normal drop off and stay for nap pick up by 3 and Friday the full day.... if they do not have that option and have to do a 'cold turkey' start I do ask that the client has someone on 'stand by' that if the child is crying and inconsolable that someone be able to pick up early ... no child should have to cry for 9 hours straight and the other kids should not have to listen to that either
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I like to do my transitions first thing in the morning as in it is training for the mom to get up, get the kids ready and get to daycare on time - which should mean gets to work on time and I do encourage her on one of the days to continue on to work after dropping the kids off so she knows how traffic patterns have changed and that she has the timings right. What that means is the kids can be in care up to 2 hours just playing before I incur any costs for snacks, supplies, etc. And we get the visits over with and they go home and then we get to start our regular day so least disruption to us too. I don't charge for one mom and child visit - that is usually about an hour. For the rest I charge and allow mom to stay half an hour second day and then 15-20 third day then nothing after that - I explain that it is important that the child learns that their place is at daycare and that mom goes to work and comes back - this is not playgroup. Transition is all about transitioning the parent and some just need more coddling than others. The child won't really transition till they are full time and have resigned themselves to the fact this is their new reality and we all know that takes 2-3 weeks regardless of how they were transitioned in.

Outgoing
    If I request it, they don't pay for transition week, but I would charge minimum wage by the hour if they are requesting it. In Ontario, it's 10.25 i think an hour, but i would not exceed your daily charge

Euphoric !
    When I transition .... Usually mom comes the first time and its for an hour and I don't charge ... The second one I get the child to come after morning nap and leaves before lunch and then the third time child comes for lunch and afternoon nap and the last time the parent drops off in the morning as if going to work and I charge 10/hr and never exceeding the daily rate

I agree that the $10/hour makes sense, I'm just not sure because it's for two kids whether I should charge more or not.