Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    jec

Needing an outlet for his energy?

Hi ladies, I haven't been on the forum in a while but, needing your experience and advice.
    I have a 20 month old who is FULL of energy. He seems to be getting bored during free play time ~ which I feel is important time for the kids to play with what ever and who ever they want to as it helps to develop their social skills. I find this little one lately has been getting very aggressive towards the other kids. He knows what he is doing is wrong as he will some times look right at me before he does something to watch my reaction. If another kid goes to sit on a chair, he will run to sit there first and or even sit on them if he can't get to it first As another kid is walking ..he will go in front of them and slow down so they can't get by him!! A child will want a toy, he has to have first dibs on it.
    I know that he is -entering the Toddler phase of I see it, think about it and it's mine but, wow he is now pushing the other kids to get to things. He isn't playing with things but now irritating the other kids.
    I am being consistant with Mom about one warning and second time strike to time out.
    My thing is I'm thinking that maybe if I re-directed him with some other activies like sensory tubs? he is really wired! He runs from one end of the room to the other all day, every day! We are outside 2 hrs a day ! he has great naps but when he is up- zing zing bong-pong!!! His parents are also very hyper, great people but even when they pick him up it's a HUGE amount of energy and excitement that they start screaming and throwing him up in the air so I see where he gets it.

Any suggestions from you ladies who have had very hyper kids- what activies did you do to help burn off some energy. He eats crayons

Play doh and water play are very soothing for most kids to help calm them down?

Offering him 'support' into choosing an activity ~ some young children have a hard time choosing between all the options to them one of the things I do when I have a younger group is when we are at snack and moving to the next transition instead of having them all 'run' for the playroom I go eenie meanie minee mo and send them one at a time and before they go they 'choose' what they are going to play with so that the others know that the 'table toys' are full now choose something else....once we are all IN it is easier to than support them to move between things.

Also defining the space for said activity might help ... we use carpet squares and hula hoops to help kids who want to be 'alone' in play define their space for the younger ones.

But ya IME if their personality of the parents is loud and out of this world energy than getting the little one to learn an 'alternative' form of expression in the program will be challenging ... I have a set of siblings in care whose parents are loud and boisterous and therefore both children are loud and boisterous .... so for 5 years I have spent my days explaining 'quiet indoor voice please' and 'gentle play inside' cause even at 4 and 6 they still think it is appropriate to run around the house screaming and jumping off things or throwing their toys - not in aggression or intent to damage something but just in their play - and well with FIVE kids in the house this is not play I encourage INSIDE because it can lead to either them or my home being damaged!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

jec
    Thanks for the advice Reggio- he doesn't like to be alone for play time- quite the opposite ! He really does have a loving tender side just full of beans!! He eats playdough- he eats everything at 20 months still.
    I just was wondering if an alturnative activity do you think- more direction instead of just free play would be good for a little one with so much energy?

Euphoric !
    It's entirely possible if active and loud is the norm for the family that there is very little sit down do something family time. As a result he doesn't really know what to do - eveidenced partly by only wanting to do what someone else is doing. He also likes the loud reaction he gets from "teasing" the other kids - taking chair first. However this teasing is also the first steps of bullying so another reason to teach limits. If he is used to loud then you may have to meet him where he is at and that means raising your voice or physically picking him up to say no right in his face or whatever - something that gets his attention the moment he starts to act out. Once he is doing the behaviour is too late since he is in the cycle. It will be necessary to get to him as he starts to move in order to teach him to control his impulses.

I have had to speak to parents about the rough play at home before saying it is teaching the child bad habits such that he doesn't know his limits at daycare and can not restrain himself when necessary.

jec
    That is my concern playfelt- that he is showing signs of being a bully. I want to help him and them to curb this behavior as they also have another one on the way. If they don't nip this in the bud now- they will either give in being so tired from the new baby and or lose their temper. We've all been there with a new born and it can be tiring.

I think he likes the reaction- negative or positive. What I have been doing is not saying anything and putting him side away from the kids/activities for a time out. He knows what he is doing is wrong and wondering if it's just a reaction that he is wanting- he looks right at you when he is doing something bad.

They are very much in love with their little one and are outside spending all their time with him. They are open to suggestions as they have said to me that he seems to have taken his tantrums to the next level. Normal for toddler but his aggression seems to be stearing in a bully way

jec
    I think they do have down time..they aren't always on the go ~ they chill together too but generally they are very active people- not really loud all the time but first time parents soooo in love and get right in there playing with him~ as I said, he really has a tender loving side which he shows but do you think I should do something else for all this energy. This morning he is running around screaming

Euphoric !
    Impulse control is not an easy thing to teach. If he were a bit older there are things like when they go to do something they need to stop and count to three before doing it - most often they will not end up doing what they were going to do.

If parents are overmonopolizing his free time at home then that is part of the problem too. He doesn't know how to play by himself let alone anyone with anyone else. Sharing is not something he has to do since he is the centre of attention at home - boy is he is for a rude awakening on the realities of life.